Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch GONE...Mitsubishi wont cover it.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2008, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DR
not after 2600 miles. no way!!
you know how easy it is to ruin a clutch? Very if you launch it and do clutch drops and try to get your 0-60 time in the 4 second range to impress your friends.... I could kill a clutch in a matter of an hour...

it is not unbelievable that the clutch only lasted that long... I'm sure he launched it a bunch because he was "Driving it the way it was intended like a performance car" aka "Launching it alot"
Old Nov 20, 2008, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by J5isalive2
I abused my new car and killed the clutch, its the cars fault. you are right trade it in on an STi.

i'm sick of these threads with people whining about Mitsu sucking so bad when in reality; sure they suck some..... But most companies aren't gonna warranty an abused car. Sure BMW would replace the clutch...why? Because the number of people who mod BMW is very very slim, where as those who buy Evos i'm willing to bet over 60% get modified.... it comes with the territory. We built our own grave so to say...

Mitsu built a car with great aftermarket support ability, they shouldn't be expected to pick up the slack of poor modding, and poor driving, and poor tuning.
and what about the people who bought a new car, already set up to perform well AND have a warranty? these people are wrong?

im assuming this guys car is, for the most part, stock. youre doing quit a bit of assuming by saying his(or anyone whos clutch goes bad early) car is poorly modded, drives poorly and has a poor tune.

his point, basically is "dont sell a product that will break when using it the way it was advertised".

and ya know what. hes right.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

theres a large difference in perform as advertised and abused.... From reading this it is quite easy to infer he abused the car... The clutch got SO bad so fast that he had to tow the car to the dealer, instead of simply slipping in the upper RPM bands it was so bad it needed to be towed.... What do you think caused this.

The immaturity level on this board is growing to a crazy level.

Lets think of it this way, what is the chances he got a bad clutch....probably 1 in 200 and thats being nice. What are the chances he drove the car like he is trying to be a race car driver, improperly launching the car and ruining the clutch....probably 1 in 5. Which side do you think the dealer is going to side with, the 1 in 200 or the 1 in 5...........Right.

You are right I am making some pretty big assumptions, but from everything that is posted it appears that the clutch was abused.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

My car is at about 10k and i launched my car once (it was a perfect launch by the way ) and then instantly smelled burning clutch.....never launched it after that....there is no need, the Evo is not a drag car what so ever. And for "how its advertised" i have never seen an ad for it involving launching the car.... all the ads i have seen are clips of the car taking some really nice S turns hauling @$$. If you really wanna drag race a car and launch a car dont buy an evo...An AWD car takes a much stronger clutch to launch rather than a RWD car.... its not made to be dragged.... if you want to drag race then buy something else
try an SRT-4
Old Nov 20, 2008, 05:46 PM
4DR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stikllr13
My car is at about 10k and i launched my car once (it was a perfect launch by the way ) and then instantly smelled burning clutch.....never launched it after that....there is no need, the Evo is not a drag car what so ever. And for "how its advertised" i have never seen an ad for it involving launching the car.... all the ads i have seen are clips of the car taking some really nice S turns hauling @$$. If you really wanna drag race a car and launch a car dont buy an evo...An AWD car takes a much stronger clutch to launch rather than a RWD car.... its not made to be dragged.... if you want to drag race then buy something else
try an SRT-4
The first launch usually has that smell to it
Old Nov 20, 2008, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4DR
The first launch usually has that smell to it
yea i really didnt like the smell.... but even if it didnt smell like burning clutch i only needed to launch it once just to know how it felt.... but still there would not be a reason for me to ever do it again
Old Nov 20, 2008, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

all evos stock clutchs smell like **** after every single launch wether it was perfect or over revved...driving the car as advertised doesnt include launching it...they put that in as a safety measure for idiots who dont know how to launch, the 2 step and laucnh control is used at a shotgun start type rally....rally is where the car is born...they laucnh 1 time and then drive for miles...if it got to the point where he had to have it towed i guarantee it was launched a sh*tload...i mean you can know hwo to drive n burn the stocker out fast...its a stock clutch on a heavy AWD car...dont launch it a bunch then complain...the number of miles dont matter its the condition the car was driven in those miles...car could have 3 miles on it if it was launched 50 times in those 3 miles the clutch will be toast

end rant
Old Nov 20, 2008, 06:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chabada15
all evos stock clutchs smell like **** after every single launch wether it was perfect or over revved...driving the car as advertised doesnt include launching it...they put that in as a safety measure for idiots who dont know how to launch, the 2 step and laucnh control is used at a shotgun start type rally....rally is where the car is born...they laucnh 1 time and then drive for miles...if it got to the point where he had to have it towed i guarantee it was launched a sh*tload...i mean you can know hwo to drive n burn the stocker out fast...its a stock clutch on a heavy AWD car...dont launch it a bunch then complain...the number of miles dont matter its the condition the car was driven in those miles...car could have 3 miles on it if it was launched 50 times in those 3 miles the clutch will be toast

end rant
Old Nov 20, 2008, 06:05 PM
ZK
Evolved Member

The Evo's clutch can not take hard launches or heavy clutch slipping... It was the same on the Evo 8 and 9 and the 10 is no exception.

If you're out there drag launching the car, you have to foot the bill. It is simply not intended for the purpose you are using it for.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Delphi7
Hey guys,

im new to the forum but I just wanted to share my unpleasant experiences with Mitsubishi thus far. I bought the car about a month or so ago and started experiencing the dreaded clutch slip, that is indicative of a clutch going bad, around 2600 miles. I made an appointment for service on a Friday but by the end of the weekend my clutch was gone. I took it in to the Mitsubishi dealer where it sat for a week and they wanted $348 just to take it apart and look to see if it even was covered by warantee. They finally got it apart and sent pictures to the local rep who immediately denied to cover it. After reading about how crappy the stock clutch is I had ordered an Exedy Twin Disc in advance anyway and planned to upgrade no matter what the decision. Ultimately I will have to pay for the install, clutch, new throw out bearing, and my car rental as I havent gotten a loaner from the dealer for the past week or so since I had the car towed to them...a sum totalling close to four grand. The Evolution X is advertised as a performance vehichle but the stock clutch cannot really handle for it to be driven in this manner. The morale of the story is, dont buy this car unless you are prepared to spend alot of money upgrading it to perform as advertised -"buyer beware".

Note: My previous vehicle was a 2004 Infiniti G35 coupe 6MT and I have seven years experience driving cars with a manual transmission. My dealings with Infiniti service where second to none and I truly regret trading it in for a car who's manufacturer does not stand behind its vehicles or seemingly its customers.

*rant over*
after reading this i suspect flaw because i thaught it was just me getting clutch replaced at 5K. oh and the service manager says its my driving habbits.

FYI who needs ayc, abc & awc blah blah just give us a good clutch lol

Last edited by midwestX; Nov 20, 2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My clutch has smelled since, literally, the first day.

It took about 6-800 miles for me to figure out that *I* was the reason it was stinking. It's throw was so short (meaning the engagement point was near the top, not near the floor) that I was slipping the clutch a lot more than I needed to (since I was pushing the clutch to the floor).

If I launch the car or drag my foot when shifting, I still smell clutch. I try not to do that

9000+ miles and clutch is still ok, so I guess I learned quickly.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

9k miles and i think i need a new clutch , it slipped 1 time so big, ive never slipped the clutch at all since then :[
Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by def1
try buying a skyline

what does it tell you when Nissan pulls the launch the control for 2010 models? In fact, 2010 will NOT have launch control!

20 launches voids the trans. warranty. For nearly 80K, that's some service. Thank god for my C6 Z06 (what...my roof just flew off? guess the two sided tape failed).

Sorry to hear about your clutch problem. Honestly, my IX clutch was **** from the first day I bought the car - new. Even before the clutch failed, I replaced the clutch with a WORKS Stg. II unit and flywheel. Don't sweat the cost, because in reality, owning an EVO is more expensive than owning a G35, or 350Z ( I can attest to the cost of a 350Z is cheaper than the cost of owning an EVO; I traded the Z for the EVO, and have been better since). Get use to it. There is a reason why the track performance of a G35, and an EVO are night a day.

Owning an EVO is like having a super model for a girlfriend, you gotta give some, to get some. And when you try taking some, it brakes, *****es, and moans the whole way to bank.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by SHIFTT IX MR
Don't sweat the cost, because in reality, owning an EVO is more expensive than owning a G35, or 350Z ( I can attest to the cost of a 350Z is cheaper than the cost of owning an EVO; I traded the Z for the EVO, and have been better since).
Bull ****.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree it is VERY easy to kill a clutch. Especially in an AWD car as I learned on my Evo 8. Launched it a few times an... huh... the clutch is acting funny. It was completely gone a few weeks later. Coming from a Camaro SS I was confused. You put slicks on a performance RWD car and the clutch becomes the cars ***** on launches.

I drive my EvoX pretty hard on a daily basis but I do not launch it as I know, from past experience, that will instantly be a couple grand hole in my wallet. It is a wear and tear item and unless they get a flood of Evo Xs with their clutches ripped after a couple thousand miles, then no they are not going to cover it.

Did you leave your time slips on the dash when it was towed in?? That is a tell tale sign man

But honestly I would just move on as most everyone has gone through this clutch issue as Evo owners. I know I have. Exedy Twin will handle more power and be pretty sweet and all but you launch the hell out of it and it will not last you either. Just an fyi.

Good luck with the car with the new clutch.

Originally Posted by J5isalive2
you know how easy it is to ruin a clutch? Very if you launch it and do clutch drops and try to get your 0-60 time in the 4 second range to impress your friends.... I could kill a clutch in a matter of an hour...

it is not unbelievable that the clutch only lasted that long... I'm sure he launched it a bunch because he was "Driving it the way it was intended like a performance car" aka "Launching it alot"

Quick Reply: Clutch GONE...Mitsubishi wont cover it.