Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

5th Gear vibration on shifter = rattling

Old Feb 10, 2009, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
****SOLUTION FOUND FOR****5th Gear vibration on shifter = rattling

4/323/09---------NEW INFORMATION---------
This is quote from JWA. Since I was reluctant to remove any cables on the tranny since I'm inexperience in that department. He has remove that shift cable and rotate it 360 degree's once so it adds tension to the cable which is just enough to tension that will apply some force that that connection point to stop that rattling. Here is his post.
http://www.***************/forums/sho...3&postcount=34

Below is the steps to doing this fix. Please refer to the picture above as I provide the 3 step process.
1. Pull the shifter cable off the rod. Use a flat head screw driver to help give you leverage to pry it out.
2. Rotate the cable 180 degrees as shown in that orientation.
3. Put the shifter cable back onto the rod. Open a can of beer and enjoy the rest of the week.

Props to JWA, he said its been 2 months since he did that and the buzzing still haven't come back.

I'm pretty sure after 2000+ miles that all Evo X GSR owners are getting that annoying buzzing/rattling noise coming from your center console somewhere more closer to the shift cables when your driving in 5th gear. Right now the only solution to the 5th gear rattling is to push and hold the shift knob towards the passenger side to get rid of that rattling noise. I've taken my center console several times to inspect the shift cables and I don't see anything loose or wrong with it. Does anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it? I keep hearing this tie strap solution but I have no clue what to tie wrap and to what I tie wrap to.

OLD OLD OLD OLD************************SOLUTION*************** ********** OLD OLD OLD OLD
On going solution. This is the culprit shown below in the big red circle that caused that annoying rattling that sounded like a flapping paper in the wind stuck under your car. If this is the sound you been hearing from your 5th gear while driving past 60 mph, then that means you have a ball joint that is loose in the rod.

I figured that the rod holding that shift cable was the culprit because when I apply force perpendicular to that rod from any direction the noise goes away. Even the just place your finger with slight force on the black part of the socket, the noise goes away. Originally during the previous 2 day testing I was pulling the black socket which dampened the noise a bit but it was still there very faintly. That lead me to think about trying to put weather strip on the white bracket and scuff between the black socket and the plate. But after today's last test, the remedy form applying perpendicular force onto the rod was the best solution that totally got rid of the noise. Below is a set of instructions on how to remove the center console and place the magic tie strap, yes a tie strap the one that I was complaining about someone saying it'll work if you tie both cables together. Guess what I'm not using it to tie 2 cables, instead I'm using it as a pressure point to apply a constant perpendicular force onto the rod to prevent the ball inside the ball joint to rattle on the rod itself.

How to remove center console.
First you need to lift the arm rest and remove the card holder with 2 fingers placed on the wall of the holder and apply vertical force upwards like shown below.

Now remove the cable attached below the card holder.

Now place 3-4 fingers under where it's shown in the pic and pull with vertical force. The console should just pull right off with minimum effort.

The console should look this below. Below shows 2 screws, remove them with a phillips screw driver.

Now place your fingers into the console as shown below. Make sure to remove the money/cigarette tray before proceeding to next part. This part might take a little more force and you'll feel like your breaking the console but trust me the console is very sturdy and flexible. Place your thumb under the tab and plant the other 4 fingers on top as shown. With your other hand grab the furthest center beam between the ash tray and the lighter as shown below. As your are pulling up with the hand that's inside the console, with the other hand pull towards the back seat, thus making a diagonal pull that'll pull the center piece right off.

Be sure to watch out and don't be too hasty to pull with full force as there is a cable connected behind the lighter.

Now the center console is taken apart, onto the tie strap location. Loop the Tie Strap around the bracket and the shift cable ball joint as shown below.

Now I'll illustrate a crappy drawing of how after you pull the strap and apply tension onto the rod, it should be fixed. Shown below is where the tie strap should be positioned in the end as shown in the the red line that I highlighted after you pull on the tie strap. Make sure to apply as much force to the tie strap to make a snug fit on that rod, if not then now you have 2 things that are rattling. LOL.

Enjoy this fix. I'll be driving this for the next couple of days to test if the noise has gone away. Let me know if this helped you guys.
*******************FINAL ULTIMATE SOLUTION*******************
Here it is. First you need to purchase weathering strip from Home Depot or any hardware store, item to the left on picture below. Be sure to get the one that has lots of padding, don't get foam type weathering strip, it needs to be rubber to last long and dampen.

Cut a thin strip prob 1 inch width by .5 inch height and cram it between the socket and the bracket as shown below.

Now here comes the precision work. MAKE SURE YOUR SHIFTER IS IN NEUTRAL POSITION AND NOT IN GEAR (the reason behind this is that if you tighten the strap when your in gear 5 for an example, when you shift to gear 1 the rod would be pushed forward and the tension you applied to the tie strap originally on gear 5 would of became slack and then the noise comes back). Be sure to tie strap #1 onto the socket/rod as shown on the pic below before you tie strap #2 onto the socket/rod. This way tie strap #2 will overlap tie strap #1 and keep it in place and not allow tie strap #1 to slide off the corner of the rod during shifting. Be sure to apply maximum force to these tie straps for secure operations. Clip the left over tails and enjoy the sound free driving. Please let me know if this helped you at all, for me the noise has never came back. I did a 60-105mph run and cruised at 90mph today and still the vibration from the tranny never loosen those tie straps and the noise never came back.

Last edited by raytrix; Nov 1, 2009 at 07:33 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NinjaCline (Feb 3, 2020)
Old Feb 10, 2009, 05:45 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have it. There's a thread about it here somewhere. Or maybe on the other Evo board. Other have it and no one has figured it out yet. Shifter bushings don't solve it (the console or tranny bushings). The dealer told me it was "normal".

I'm thinking that worst case a heavier shift knob should be enough to stop it, but intend to get in there and figure something out this weekend.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup i have it too. I just turn the stereo louder lol.

I think someone said to zip tie the cables and that made it stop, but it made the shifting harder. So i haven't try anything out.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

How would you tie strap the cable between each other when there is a center divider in the way. I can't figure out how that original poster on EvoXForums that said to use tie strap to two cables together. I think he was BSing and making up ****. I won't believe this method till someone clearly shows how do you do it and take a pic of it.
Old Feb 10, 2009, 08:28 PM
JWA
Evolving Member

That guy was just suggesting that that might be something to try - he didn't say that he did it.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

i was the guy that got it fixed and started the original thread. Mitsu told my dealer to zip tie my cables together and it stopped. Made 1st and 2nd VERY difficult to shift into. Now the noise is back and 1st and 2nd are easy, i think the tie might have broken but havent had time to head back to the dealership.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 04:52 PM

Just had my rattle fixed at the dealership. They replaced one of the brackets by the shifter, but not sure which one. It doesn't rattle anymore.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

^^ was this under warranty? And if so is this some sort of a recall or a problem they know about?
Old Feb 12, 2009, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ch3no2
Just had my rattle fixed at the dealership. They replaced one of the brackets by the shifter, but not sure which one. It doesn't rattle anymore.
Wow great news, if you could please call your dealer or look at your invoice and find out what part it would help alot of members im sure.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Guys I drove my car for 2 days right now with the shift boot removed. I found the problem and the source of the rattling. The bracket holding the left shift cable is the culprit. I'll post pictures tomorrow around 4-5pm central time to specifically point out what's been making the noise. After driving 2 days with the shiftboot off I been putting my finger on various components as I was driving and found that if i either hold or push the left cable joint that is connected the shift bracket attached to the shifter, the noise goes away. It's like the ball joint is loose inside the socket attached to the shifter bracket for the left cable. I have not tried tightening that bolt to see if that remedies it, but I believe another possible solution is to add rubber tapes or weather stripping between the ball joint and the bracket plate to dampen the vibration on that point. I'll test out that weather stripping over the weekend and tell you how does that work. If it doesn't help much this might need to be replaced or fixed that the dealership. I'm almost absolutely sure it's that bracket taping that ball joint that is making that noise.

I'll also post a step by step procedure on how to remove the center console to gain access to the bracket for those that have never removed or too scared to remove the console. It's very easy and idiot proof, less than 5 mins.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by raytrix
Guys I drove my car for 2 days right now with the shift boot removed. I found the problem and the source of the rattling. The bracket holding the left shift cable is the culprit. I'll post pictures tomorrow around 4-5pm central time to specifically point out what's been making the noise. After driving 2 days with the shiftboot off I been putting my finger on various components as I was driving and found that if i either hold or push the left cable joint that is connected the shift bracket attached to the shifter, the noise goes away. It's like the ball joint is loose inside the socket attached to the shifter bracket for the left cable. I have not tried tightening that bolt to see if that remedies it, but I believe another possible solution is to add rubber tapes or weather stripping between the ball joint and the bracket plate to dampen the vibration on that point. I'll test out that weather stripping over the weekend and tell you how does that work. If it doesn't help much this might need to be replaced or fixed that the dealership. I'm almost absolutely sure it's that bracket taping that ball joint that is making that noise.

I'll also post a step by step procedure on how to remove the center console to gain access to the bracket for those that have never removed or too scared to remove the console. It's very easy and idiot proof, less than 5 mins.
Yu da man, make it happen.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

i <3 raytrix
Old Feb 13, 2009, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

I'm testing this fix as we speak. I'll test it tomorrow.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Sir if you was a girl i would fap to you.

On a side note...

On going solution. This is the culprit shown below in the big red circle that caused that annoying rattling that sounded like a flapping paper in the wind stuck under your car. If this is the sound you been hearing from your 5th gear while driving past 60 mph, then that means you have a ball joint that is loose in the rod.

I have a loose ball in my rod...
Old Feb 14, 2009, 10:12 AM
JWA
Evolving Member

Good work raytrix - thanks! I'm going to try this out tomorrow and I'll let you know how it works out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5th Gear vibration on shifter = rattling