Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

7.2whp gains by adding Royal Purple oil

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2009, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
7.2whp gains by adding Royal Purple oil

First of all, moderators, please feel free to remove my topic if it has been covered/adressed before.

With that being said I ran into a dyno test done in a Evo X, the test consisted on adding some simple bolt ons like a panel filter, exhaust and changing oil to Royal Purple.

If you ask me, I have always been a firm believer of good synthetic oils, back from when I attended mechanical vocational school in late 80s I always learned of the benefits of the synthetic oil. It is not optional for me to do a oil change with something other than synthetic oil, they are not just worth the money but far worth in the long run.

A car magazine landed on my hands a few years ago in which one more time a dyno test was done to test transmission fluids, at that time Royal purple squeeze 3 or 4 WHP by providing low friction fluid enhancing the cooling and the friction.

I have seen relatively modern cars which has been regularily maintain by the dealers on a strict regular oil changes, particularily a owner of a Ford Mustang GT had his engine completely seized and oil filter clogged with sludge, is a matter of fact, it looks just like if someone grabbed a 55 galon drum barrel fill of dark industrial grease and applied over the engine as if it was butter.

Here is the link and if you ask me if I believe it I will repeat, yes I do:

http://www.royalpurple.com/drag-sport2.html

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; May 4, 2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old May 4, 2009, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Needless to say, I do not concur with this person statements:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...you-think.html

Carlos
Old May 4, 2009, 01:22 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
I'm not going to remove it, because I believe it 100%.

A forum member here runs Amsoil and had pretty high dyno numbers for his mods.
Old May 4, 2009, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

^^ Thanks!! I figure someone will benefit from reading it.

Carlos
Old May 4, 2009, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
But can't you also gain power from a fresh change of Mobil 1?
Old May 4, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by steinvb12
That review neglected that part and an A-B-A test to fully validate it.

That oil could have been abused for the last 3500 miles and was due for a change. I would have like to see they swap back to fresh mobile 1 with the a K&N filter to prove the results.

edit: i missed the part where it said 350 mi on the car so witht eh exectption of the filter providing power it is reasonable to assume it was the oil.

Last edited by newcomer81; May 4, 2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old May 4, 2009, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ This is a little misconception. The engine is making xxxx power, the fluids within will enhance the output by reducing friction and cooling it and "freeing it".

There is an article rarely seen from a huge laboratory test which in that specific test all they did was bearings. The test consisted on a spinning bearing and a hydraulic arm pressing on the bearing with enormous pressure. The pictures showed most of the other oils causing groves on the bearings.

I attempted to download that same link from work like 3 years ago but my work had filters. I then tried copy and pasting the info but again it got blocked. I am sure I could find the info again. I surf thorugh many car forums every day, I am sure I could provide the link .

When it comes to lab test, you can't argue that, that is the real deal.

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; May 4, 2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old May 4, 2009, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You worried about oil sludge in an evo, that's rich. Maybe a camary but I doubt you'll have many issues with sludge with mobil 1 synthetic. RP has these graphite like particles in the oil, and with extended use I believe RP will cause some issues. I've used it once on my old IS300 the results were good, but the oil doesn't last very long. Personally I'd stick with the OEM after this go around with RP, but that's just my two cents.
Old May 4, 2009, 02:04 PM
Evolving Member

I believe that it MAY have had a 1-2hp increase, but we all know the same car, without changing it in anyway, from one run to the next, can show a difference of 5whp.

On GST's mustang dyno, my car made between 260whp to 266whp between 3 pulls. Runs were only about 1 minute apart and we made no changes to the car. If anything the dyno room got warmer.

I use amsoil in everything, and I do believe it is partially the reason why I had better than average numbers on an untuned VIII with minimal mods.
Old May 4, 2009, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steinvb12
Acoording to this real test, Mobil one perfromed poorly:

Carlos
Old May 4, 2009, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cornercarver
I believe that it MAY have had a 1-2hp increase, but we all know the same car, without changing it in anyway, from one run to the next, can show a difference of 5whp.

On GST's mustang dyno, my car made between 260whp to 266whp between 3 pulls. Runs were only about 1 minute apart and we made no changes to the car. If anything the dyno room got warmer.

I use amsoil in everything, and I do believe it is partially the reason why I had better than average numbers on an untuned VIII with minimal mods.
The heat has the most effect on a car that is otherwise stock or unaltered. My Z06 put like 25whp and 30lb-tq less when wasn't cooled between runs.

Carlos
Old May 4, 2009, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
^^^ This is a little misconception. The engine is making xxxx power, the fluids within will enhance the output by reducing friction and cooling it and "freeing it".

I am sure the Mobil one oil also brings benefits to the table. There is an article rarely seen from a huge laboratory test which in that specific test all they did was bearings. Amsoil absolutely swept the competition. While all the bearings seized up Amsoil lasted several times more than the others.

The bearing was tested in a bench. The test consisted on a spinning bearing and a hydraulic arm pressing on the bearing with enormous pressure. The pictures showed most of the other oils causing groves on the bearings while AMSOIL provided silky smooth friction.

I attempted to download that same link from work like 3 years ago but my work had filters. I then tried copy and pasting the info but again it got blocked. I am sure I could find the info again. I surf thorugh many car forums every day, I am sure I could provide the link .

When it comes to lab test, you can't argue that, that is the real deal.

Carlos
That's because Mobile1 is a grade 3 oil while Amsoil is a grade 4. Another commercially available grade 4 oil is SFR, who does the exact same oil bench test with their oil additive. I am not sure what grade royal purple falls under, but from my experience, it always seems to feel thinner than the weight on the bottle says. It also tends to make our valvetrain more "ticky" as compared to even standard synthetics.
Old May 4, 2009, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Acoording to this real test, Mobil one perfromed poorly:

Carlos
I'm more interested in these results than a 7hp gain from my oils
good article thanks!
Old May 4, 2009, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

If you liked that read, you'll like this:

http://www.sfrcorp.com/demonstration/

Gee...I wonder what brand oil they are testing against...

Mobile 1 is a great oil, but for those thoroughly concerned with their oil, buy amsoil or use SFR additive to your mobile 1. Like I said, I have not researched Royal Purple well, it may be an excellent alternative as well.

BTW, GM uses SFR on their assembly lines to lubricate the rollers and bearings.

Last edited by cornercarver; May 4, 2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old May 4, 2009, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The endless debate, which is best.

Quick Reply: 7.2whp gains by adding Royal Purple oil