Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

0w40

Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
0w40

Hey guys,

I have noticied a considerable change in engine noise when the factory oil (5w30) is nearing its oil change interval. I've noticed that new oil quiets the motor down a good bit, I've also noticed that the Mobile 1 EP5w30 keeps the motor quieter longer. I believe it doesn't lose it's viscosity as fast.

I've actually had my car into Mitsu several times for a "motor sound" issue, Mitsu claimed normal, but I still don't like it. Motor seems fine, oil analysis is good, and car has almost 24k on her with no issues except the noise.

I am thinking of switching to Mobile 1 0w40 oil, as vicosity seems to quiet the motor down a good bit.

What are your thoughts on running a 40w? I live in the south with daily summer temp averages of 95º?

Ohh..if anyone is curious, the noise is very similar to rod knock, and only seems to occur around 2000-3000 rpm, higher rpm's tend to make a whining sound as if a belt is rubbing but no belts are rubbing
Old Jun 22, 2009, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you are kidding, right...you want to run a 0w-40 on a motor that makes over 300hp...
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by endGameXIII
you are kidding, right...you want to run a 0w-40 on a motor that makes over 300hp...

No, can you explain why this would be bad instead of simply being negative?
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsitalon1
I would not recommend running anything really more viscous than 30 weight due to the tight tolerances of EVO motors in general.

I say stick with 5w-30 m1 EP. I'm at 4000 miles on mine. Taking it to 5000 miles. No oil level changes, no fuel smell, not fouling of spark plugs. Running great.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tsitalon1
i thought this would be a given...but 0w-40 is a VERY, VERY thin oil. thinner oil = better gas mileage = less protection. you're talking about running a oil that the PRIUS uses on an EVO.

now sit on that for a minute...

right. your evo makes more power. it has a turbo. it needs more protection.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i thought this would be a given...but 0w-40 is a VERY, VERY thin oil. thinner oil = better gas mileage = less protection. you're talking about running a oil that the PRIUS uses on an EVO.

0w means it is thinner at the start up. Not generally a bad things, since start up is usually the harshest process for a cold engine. 40 means viscosity which means it thicker than a 30 weight at a similar operating temperature.

so a 0w-40 is thinner at start up and thicker at operating temp, rather than a 5w-30.

IIRC a Prius uses 5w-30 oil weight.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

i think the 0w-40 is a thicker oil then a 5w-30.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 04:18 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ow40 is not necesary on your car, 10w30 will do the trick just fine ,, your issue is you need to find an oil thats up for the abuse turbocharged cars put on oils.

get a good synthetic thats made for turbo cars, i am not going to try to push AMSOIL up your nose i am going to leave it up to your research and the hundres of people that use AMSOIL on this forum to chime in.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
ow40 is not necesary on your car, 10w30 will do the trick just fine ,, your issue is you need to find an oil thats up for the abuse turbocharged cars put on oils.

get a good synthetic thats made for turbo cars, i am not going to try to push AMSOIL up your nose i am going to leave it up to your research and the hundres of people that use AMSOIL on this forum to chime in.
i would like to ask you, the W /winte/is for a cold viscosity number and the second number is a hot or warmed up engine one right?
I think this is how it goes.

so the 0w-30 or 5w -30 is actually the same weight oil.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If there is something wrong with your motor, I don't think oil viscosity is the main culprit here. While you could run 0w40 in your motor, I think it would be overkill depending on your driving habits (push the car hard for short trips or racing). The cars rolling off the assembly lines, in most cases, have tighter clearances and thinner oil is recommended because of this. I would stick with a nice synthetic 0w30 and change it every 3K miles.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, the W stands for "Winter", not "Weight". 0w30 and 5w30 are the exact same viscosity at 210F. The 0w oil would be thinner at start up but is still able to pour more effectively than 5w at lower temps.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Clipse3GT
0w means it is thinner at the start up. Not generally a bad things, since start up is usually the harshest process for a cold engine. 40 means viscosity which means it thicker than a 30 weight at a similar operating temperature.

so a 0w-40 is thinner at start up and thicker at operating temp, rather than a 5w-30.

IIRC a Prius uses 5w-30 oil weight.
like you said, startup is the harshest part, having 0w doesn't help.

and you don't need 0w unless you're up in alaska. 5w would suffice.

fully warmed up, 0w-40 is thicker - you're right. i got it the other way around.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

like you said, startup is the harshest part, having 0w doesn't help.

and you don't need 0w unless you're up in alaska. 5w would suffice.

fully warmed up, 0w-40 is thicker - you're right. i got it the other way around.
actually the 0W "thinner" oil help in those conditions, since flows easier then a "thicker" one. so the 0W is great for that.
The harshest parts comes from an "oil starvation" when the motor is not circulate the oil yet when you started. So the thinner oil will run through faster and there for do a job better.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
actually the 0W "thinner" oil help in those conditions, since flows easier then a "thicker" one. so the 0W is great for that.
The harshest parts comes from an "oil starvation" when the motor is not circulate the oil yet when you started. So the thinner oil will run through faster and there for do a job better.
0w has the same viscosity as 5w but at lower temps. if he isn't at a place that has -45C temps, having 0w does very little if anything at all.

Last edited by EndlessRed; Jun 22, 2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

So what's the consensus guys, 0w40 bad for oil pump/bearings, or ok?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 0w40