Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Crate engine

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2009, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crate engine

Anybody know if short block or long block are available from the dealership?
Old Dec 3, 2009, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

for what reason?
Old Dec 3, 2009, 11:57 PM

I've melt a piston last week and I'm looking at 4k to rebuild my engine. Can't seem to find a use block or a complete engine.

I'll have to oversize, which I don't like to do, or change the sleeve.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 01:46 AM
Evolved Member

If it's 4k to get it rebuilt, I doubt a longblock or shortblock from the dealer will be much less. AMS and Buschur both offer built shortblocks, might be worth looking into, if you're going to eat a big cost anyways.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 05:09 AM
Evolving Member

^ Exactly what I was thinking!

A melted piston is pretty much a sign that you're supposed to upgrade to a 2.3L or something!

Good luck!
Old Dec 4, 2009, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by hotdog
If it's 4k to get it rebuilt, I doubt a longblock or shortblock from the dealer will be much less. AMS and Buschur both offer built shortblocks, might be worth looking into, if you're going to eat a big cost anyways.
This exactly what I would do.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Delaer prices will surelly rape you...look at much OEM interior is. I blew my ITR motor in my honda civic a few years ago and through a hook in the Acura parts department I still ended up paying 1800 for the head and 1800 for the block.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 06:12 AM

There is definitely a part number for the short block, and I want to say it costs somewhere in the $2400 range. Mitsubishiparts.net has it listed in their parts finder.

Not sure if there is a part number for the long block though.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 07:29 AM

I'm definitely not upgrading the engine since I want this car out of my driveway before anything else happen to it.

What bothers me is the fact that the dealership spent a week figuring out how to void my warranty but didn't try to find the cause of the meltdown.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 07:53 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You "melted" a piston with the mods in your sig? What the heck happened? That has to have been either a really, really bad tune. Or, well, that's pretty much it...

Last edited by atombomb33; Dec 4, 2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, if all you have on the car is a tune, it had to have been TERRIBLE to melt/seize a piston. I see 0 speed performance upgrades there except for the tune, is that all you had? Reflash that ***** ASAP! Were you running a wideband or have any EGT measurements? If so what were they? Could have prevented this headache earlier, provided it wasn't a catastrophic OEM part defect, which is doubtful.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 08:25 AM

Apparently the tuner did the base map but couldn't do the fine tuning because the clutch started slipping. He brought the car back to the guy I was dealing with, let's call I'm Jon Nichols, and told him to change the clutch so he could finish the tune.

He didn't have time to do it so he didn't say a word about it. He made me pay my bill and off I went. When I got to the nearest highway I floored it to feel my new found power only to realize that the clutch was slipping badly.

That's a problem because I have a trackday the next morning. So I pull over and call Jon. He says that he didn't knew about it and that he couldn't change my clutch in time for my trackday. It would be the first of many expensive trackday I would miss or break the car at, because of this douchebag and my ****ty car.

Right after I blew up my engine, the car was sent to the guy that use to work on my STI. The verdict came quick and I had a chance to talk to the tuner the next day. He told me what had been done to my car and was actually surprise that I didn't come to I'm sooner to get a remap.

It's fun to see how a little lie can go a long way and blow up your engine on your very last day on track.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

so you think you have a bad car because of a few people lying to you?!

Sounds like your car would be fine if you didn't work with the "group" you worked with.

So are you now going bring it to stock and get rid of it? Or keep it, if you keep it, there would be no reason to not just rebuild your engine.... cheaper / stronger than buying an oem block that they will charge out the a$$ for.

Look at Ryan Gates - stock block evo x 500 + whp and 1 entire race season tracking the car and not one issue, that tune had to be beyond HORRIBLE on your car to melt a piston with the only power mod being a flash..

sorry to you and I hope you get all resolved..
Old Dec 4, 2009, 08:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Absent
Apparently the tuner did the base map but couldn't do the fine tuning because the clutch started slipping. He brought the car back to the guy I was dealing with, let's call I'm Jon Nichols, and told him to change the clutch so he could finish the tune.

He didn't have time to do it so he didn't say a word about it. He made me pay my bill and off I went. When I got to the nearest highway I floored it to feel my new found power only to realize that the clutch was slipping badly.

That's a problem because I have a trackday the next morning. So I pull over and call Jon. He says that he didn't knew about it and that he couldn't change my clutch in time for my trackday. It would be the first of many expensive trackday I would miss or break the car at, because of this douchebag and my ****ty car.

Right after I blew up my engine, the car was sent to the guy that use to work on my STI. The verdict came quick and I had a chance to talk to the tuner the next day. He told me what had been done to my car and was actually surprise that I didn't come to I'm sooner to get a remap.

It's fun to see how a little lie can go a long way and blow up your engine on your very last day on track.
English Translation please
Old Dec 4, 2009, 08:52 AM

It's funny that every time I break something on my car someone mention Ryan unbreakable Evo. I might just be unlucky.

Anybody else had their windshield shatter from washing their car?

I really want to get rid of the car but I'm going to lose a lot of money in the process.

Sorry for the bad english.

Last edited by Absent; Dec 4, 2009 at 08:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Crate engine