Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Metal shavings stuck to rear diff drain plug

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2010, 09:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metal shavings stuck to rear diff drain plug

I just recently changed fluids in tranny, transfer case, and diff and discovered fairly large shavings stuck to the rear diff drain plug. They were about 3mm in width ribbons, the largest curled to the size of a small popcorn kernel. 4 or 5 total. Has anyone seen anything similar? Should I bring them to the dealer so the mechanic can evaluate for warranty? I have a decent mechanic at the dealer that won't try to void the warranty for the small stuff. I don't think I'm making the power to destroy this thing, but shavings are seriously not good.

the tranny and transfer case had metal powder stuck to their drain plugs like others here on the forum. The rear diff had very little metal powder, mainly these shavings.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the metal "powder" is normal, which is why they have magnetic drain bolts. But the curled up shavings the size of popcorn seems really unusual. If you have original fluid, then i would take it to the dealer.