Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

BIG turbo / Spark Plugs ???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2010, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BIG turbo / Spark Plugs ???

I would like to know what type of spark plugs you guys with big turbo upgrades are running in your cars?
I'm currently using the stock NGK's that came with the car along with my PT5857 turbo. I'll will be doing a track event in the upcoming two weeks and was thinking of changing my spark plugs since I'm still on the original ones and I bet they are pretty fouled up.
Any suggestion would be helpful.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still on stock ones.

Everyone that has ran different plugs, even on big horsepower builds, ends up going back to stock ones and maybe regapping them. People who change the stock ones tend to have more problems. The stocks ones have made power until like 700whp, so I don't see a reason to change.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by murlo26
Still on stock ones.

Everyone that has ran different plugs, even on big horsepower builds, ends up going back to stock ones and maybe regapping them. People who change the stock ones tend to have more problems. The stocks ones have made power until like 700whp, so I don't see a reason to change.
Thanks that basically confirms what I was thinking I will just get a new set of the same ones. Is there a different gap size that works better or just keep it to the stck specs.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Huge
Thanks that basically confirms what I was thinking I will just get a new set of the same ones. Is there a different gap size that works better or just keep it to the stck specs.
I think mine are gapped at like .022. I am not sure if there are better than stock gap sizes. Maybe a shop will chime in or someone more familiar with gapping.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Higher flow setups will need to gap down to .022" or so, and yes any of the aftermarket plugs tend to be even more sensitive to the gap being too large which I found out quickly with the HKS plugs.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks, Guys
Old Mar 10, 2010, 03:16 AM

spark plugs

Originally Posted by Huge
I would like to know what type of spark plugs you guys with big turbo upgrades are running in your cars?
I'm currently using the stock NGK's that came with the car along with my PT5857 turbo. I'll will be doing a track event in the upcoming two weeks and was thinking of changing my spark plugs since I'm still on the original ones and I bet they are pretty fouled up.
Any suggestion would be helpful.
Good Morning,
I am the Technical Manager for Autolite spark plugs. You should be running at least one step colder spark plug if you have increased the boost over the stock setting. If you can tell me how much boost your running, other engine mods and stock spark plug nuumber, I will send you several sets of Autolite XP Iridium fine wire spark plugs to try out. The Iridium plugs will run better under boost, they take less voltage to fire so you do not need to bring the gap down as much as you do with copper core plugs. The results in a bigger flame kernal and of course, more power with less misfires. Jay.Buckley@Honeywell.com
Old Mar 10, 2010, 05:39 AM
SiC
Evolved Member

A lot of shops here in Japan are recommending not using stock or stock shaped plugs (Ralliart/HKS). The long tip spark plugs used in the 4B11 have weak ceramic insulators, these seem to crack off and cause problems sometimes leading to engine failure. They all recommend using NGK Racing Plugs with stock or one step colder heat range. These have shorter tips and the ceramic insulator is not as long as the stock form.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by motorking
The Iridium plugs will run better under boost, they take less voltage to fire so you do not need to bring the gap down as much as you do with copper core plugs.
The stock plugs on the Evo X are iridium and fairly cold to begin with. That being said, we'd all welcome more options. The NGK racing plugs that these guys are talking about are crazy expensive, over $40/ea.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

BRP7ES gapped at .22
Old Mar 10, 2010, 01:22 PM
SiC
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by italianevo88
BRP7ES gapped at .22
I thought we were talking about the EvoX here.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

people say go 1 range colder for every 100 horsepower you add.. so HKS M45's would be the trick..

However the same turbo is in ryan gates car and he still uses stock plugs.

im on the fence on this one also, i know its good to replace your plugs when you get a tune most importantly on the evo x since they run stupid rich and foul easy.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 03:54 PM
SiC
Evolved Member

For those of you that have never seen the NGK Racing plugs compared to standard plugs, view the attached pics.

*HKS ones are the standard type plugs, the other ones are the Racing plug.
Attached Thumbnails BIG turbo / Spark Plugs ???-ngk-r.jpg   BIG turbo / Spark Plugs ???-hks.jpg  
Old Mar 11, 2010, 04:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where would I be able to get these damn NGK race plugs? I would pay 40 bucks for a quality plug if its honestly the only good option we have. But, it seems that those of us in the USA do not have direct access to order them.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 04:41 AM

Quick Reply: BIG turbo / Spark Plugs ???