Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Raw fuel smell when driving

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seems like after 2 years no one wants to share the solution
Old Jun 17, 2014, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by testa corse
seems like after 2 years no one wants to share the solution
E85 was the solution for me. Had the smell several times on pump gas. Haven't had it once on E85.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 06:29 PM

Does somebody have any answer why or all we all going to just post that we all have the same problem
Old Jun 20, 2015, 07:14 PM
JCA

Problem happened to me today happened last summer as well can't find a source and it's quite unbearable. Going to the dealership in a few days.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:47 AM

Happened to me a couple times last week, could smell it coming through the air vents. May/may not be related, but yesterday, I was golfing, so my car was sitting in the sun all day. I normally just stick my head in and start the car to let it air out, but it just turned over, and wouldn't start. Had to sit inside and give it some gas to start, and then there was a very strong smell of gas for a while.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:10 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
with all these pages, has anyone mentioned checking the EVAP system?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:33 PM

I had 2 evos and both of them did this..
whenever I stay above 4k rpm for a bit of time, I can smell this.
I think it is probably something is burning off... I never had any issue with the car though.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I had this problem today driving on the freeway when the outside temperature was in the 80's. My first thought was that it's the AC clutch because I've had my AC light flash before - Do you guys think this is possible? Did you guys have the AC off the entire drive when you smelled it?

It's so bad on my car that when I get home and park in the garage, it will smell up my entire house over the next 6 hours...

I didn't have my windows down the entire drive, so I don't think the altered wind pattern theory is true.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 08:59 PM

Here in PR almost every owner of an evo x or ralliart have this problem. Some find the solution. And i confirm it today. The problem here in PR is that we only have two fuel brands that offer 93 octane fuel.. One PUMA Energy the other ecomaxx. Here temps are always between 92 and 103F so xriving the car during the day will get you this issue. We find that this only happened with people who used puma fuel. Why? Well puma use ethanol as part of their formula to bump the fuel to 93 octane. The problem it seems that under high temperatures fuel start to evaporate we guess because it just dont happened with ecomaxx fuel. Which formula or additives ecomax use on their gas we dont know. What we know is that while. Using that fuel in just dont happen. No matter how high are the temperatures and how long you are on traffic or just on a highway... I woukd recomend for you to look if the gas you are using has some amount of ethanol on the mix and try looking for one that doesnt have it and see if it fix the problem. Dont know there but here gas its sold by liter not gallon and puma premium 93 cost around .69/liter where ecomax is .82/liter which maybe says a lot about the process additives used on each gasoline and why with one happen and with the other dont. Who knows.. But taking on consideration you can find a puma fuel station on every corner and he difference in price well most people have this problem on the evo x ralliart community as for other cars dont know of any. In addition i know other people used 91 octane shell, Total even Golf fuel and they dont have the raw fuel smell problem.