Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Raw fuel smell when driving

Old May 21, 2011, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any updates?
Old Jun 24, 2011, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Its mid june now in las vegas, and the smell is coming back on Hot days when temp is over 100
It seem to happen only on longer drives, more then 15mins +, It seem to happen to me all of last year 2010 from june to late augs. Then it went away, But now its back, I did check everything that my eye can see just like the rest of the guys with the same issue,
found no leak of any kind.
Has anyone figure this out yet?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

dammit who will figure this out.??? We have to bring this up at MOD 2011

this is really dangerous I mean the raw fuel smell almost made me pass out one time... I had to bring the windows down and stick my head out of the window.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:07 PM

does anybody knows from where the raw fuel smell comes from?
Old Jun 28, 2011, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by iriejigga
Hey Guys, I have a 08 GSR with the recall complete, and fuel pump upgrade after that and just notice the fuel smell too at the begining of summer (long after the recall and upgrade) except I got a code (check engine light) I scanned it with Cobb access port and it read "emission evaporative system leak detected (small leak)" Now I cleared the code and took it to the shop and my mechanic said they will have to smoke test the system to see where the leak is coming from. Apparently some cars use a canister to catch gas fumes as mention before in the thread, but some vent through a charcoal canister to atmosphere, but decided to recirculate the gas fumes back into the fuel system which is more complex and as a result creates these problems. Anyway to detect the leak the fuel system has to be smoke checked and differnt sensors have to be activated during the test to see where the smoke is escaping, do-able but still a pain in the ***. I'm going to get mine done this week will post results.
This is the same issue that one of our Igloo cars had, an Evo X MR. It's the same SES light of "emission evaporative systems leak (small leak)" detected and the raw fuel smell along with it. Granted he has a MAP Performance fuel surge tank setup which has some smelly lines, but the best I can determine is that the smell is coming from the rear of the car, wherever that fuel recirc stuff hides.

Oddly when opening the sun roof you can get a full nose full of it swirling around the car, and longer drives it tends to kick in MUCH stronger. When I drove 7 hours from Summit Point to my house it was bad enough I had to pull over and check the car over in detail, and of course you never find anything. The car was checked by the local Mitsu dealer as well as STM and they could never find the source either. I suspect this smoke test is the only possible chance along with activating the various sensors and such.

When it comes to fuel smells it really makes me nervous since my own car had an engine fire out of the blue and now I'm facing starting from scratch again. I can't say this was the issue but it sure makes be think twice about now.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:16 AM
Evolving Member

thanks to iriejigga for posting, and hope everyone keeps on posting.
It's upsetting because the smell is super strong, not just a little bit.!

I do believe this will be a RECALL, sooner or later.

Anybody contact the NHSTA or whatever that recall agency is ?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 03:34 PM

I just bought a used 08 MR and i notice this raw smell too... my report says its not open for any recalls but going going to check the fuel line recall.... if thats not it i want to know what is since im in AZ its 105 here today the smell happens once a day but never on a cold start
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

mine does it when it gets really hot here too
Old Jul 1, 2011, 09:21 AM

so i went and talked to the place i just bought mine at (carmax) and told them i think its the vapor cannister they are going to check it out for a few hours sometime next week.... you think if they want to swap parts out trying to fix it , it would be a good idea with the evo? i dont know much about cars lol
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:22 PM

My 2010 Evo x gsr is also doing this. It smells like raw gas so strongly in the cabin that I feel like I could pass out. I have taken it to the dealership while it is doing this. They acknowledged how bad the smell was and took a look at it for about an hour or so. They said they could not find any issue with the car. I suggested they take a look at this forum to see what people are dealing with. The service guy did in fact look at this forum. He said yeah, but Mitsubishi has not put any alerts out yet. We can't fix it if we don't know what it is. I then informed them that I would not drive an unsafe car until it was fixed, that this car was making me very sick from the strong raw gas smell. The tech said he would not be driving it either if it were his car. He then went to get his boss. The boss said he could not smell anything, and that they could do nothing for me. I then said how about I call my lawyer. He then said ok we will take a further look at it and get you a rental car. I then got a rental car. Today (the next day) the service manager called me and told me that they knew that this was an issue, but Mitsubishi has not put a recall out on the problem yet, so they can not fix it. He said that they knew it happens typically in hot weather and when the tank is near full. He said to bring back the rental car or he would call the cops and report the rental car stolen. I said is my car fixed? He said no it is not fixed. I proceeded to tell him the service guy working the day before told me I would be able to keep the rental car until my car was fixed. The guy was very rude and hung up on me. I then called back to see if I could get some information about my car. He answered and told me to bring the rental car back. I said can you please tell me the status of my evo. He would not give me any information about my car. I contacted corporate Mitsubishi and shared this with them. I recorded the conversation with the tech and played it for the Mitsubishi rep on the phone. She could not believe how the service manager had talked to me. She said she was very sorry and would send this to an official Mitsubishi officer, whatever that means, and that they would get this dealt with. She was very apologetic and said that they are going to take good care of me. I should be receiving a call in the next couple of hours.

This is outrageous! This is an issue that they know about and they are not fixing it! WTF!!!

Somebody is going to get seriously hurt if they do not fix this. I got physically sick from the gas fumes. What if someone passes out from the fumes and kills themselves, or somebody else. This is ridiculous! Please help get the word out there to other Evo owners about this issue.

Thanks
Old Jul 19, 2011, 01:29 PM

Have you still been having problems with the fuel smell from your car? I just posted my experience at the end of the forum talking about evo x smelling like raw fuel in the cabin. Just curious if you got it fixed and what it may have been if so. Thanks
Old Jul 20, 2011, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Im starting to think is doing some conspiracy theory here,
every Evo X owner i know in my area has the same issue, Many of them taken it
to the dealership, and the it seem like know nothing about it,
Old Jul 21, 2011, 11:15 AM

someone was suggesting that if you fill your tank completey up it might be a reason... you know when the gas pump stops and you can squeeze 4 more dollars or so in , they were saying doing that overloads the cannister somehow ??
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by thuan
Its mid june now in las vegas, and the smell is coming back on Hot days when temp is over 100
It seem to happen only on longer drives, more then 15mins +, It seem to happen to me all of last year 2010 from june to late augs. Then it went away, But now its back, I did check everything that my eye can see just like the rest of the guys with the same issue,
found no leak of any kind.
Has anyone figure this out yet?
I live in Vegas and have this problem as well right now
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it's only happening when hot, I'd be checking the charcoal canister/EVAP vent system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Raw fuel smell when driving