Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Raw fuel smell when driving

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
For some reason I don't seem to have this smell and it's been 100+ the last few days. After 2.5 years of ownership I haven't ever smell this.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am OP, from last year... and it is still smelling really bad... and nobody knows how to fix it... I am gonna go brain dead from this gas smell in my car.... WTF mitsu
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:03 PM

Yeah, this gas smell situation is ridiculous!! Mitsubishi just had me come pick my car back up because they can not find anything wrong with it. Their service guy was able to duplicate the smell yesterday, but not today, so they are now saying there is nothing wrong with it. The car is still making this awful smell if I drive it for more that 20 minutes. The other issue is that they drove my car for over 70 miles to try and duplicate it. The tank was near full when I dropped it off and now it is below half, and they are refusing to pay for any of the gas they used. My fear is that they said three different techs drove my car and could not duplicate the smell. WTF! why have three people been driving my car? These techs are guys in their early 20's and 30's can you imagine how hard they drove my car, or how long they let it idle. I am really upset about this situation. Corporate Mitsubishi could not offer me any help either. They told me to just take my car and if it does it again to come back to the dealer. I have the paperwork that the service guy filled out saying that he could smell it very strongly in the back seat, but they are still not doing anything about it.

What to do next? Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel as if I could pass out when driving the car. The fumes are that strong.

Lets try and get the word out about this. Anyone having this issue should call Mitsubishi Corporate, maybe if they get enough complaints about it they will actually do something about this danger. This SUCKS!

Thanks for the help guys.

Dew
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:09 PM

Oh, by the way, I have had this issue with less than a half tank of gas. It is not only when the tank is full. This issue should not be happening regardless of how full, or empty your tank is. That is an excuse is trying to use. That is simply unbelievable that they are trying to use that as a way to get away from dealing with the issue. Come on fix the issue
Old Jul 22, 2011, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dewsevo
Oh, by the way, I have had this issue with less than a half tank of gas. It is not only when the tank is full. This issue should not be happening regardless of how full, or empty your tank is. That is an excuse is trying to use. That is simply unbelievable that they are trying to use that as a way to get away from dealing with the issue. Come on fix the issue
Hi everyone - The problem happened again to me. I suggest we all do something about it. The best thing to do is to report it to the NHTSA , which governs our cars safety and recalls. Lets get busy and see if this thing gets done. The techs know nothing about it. Following is the link to file the online complaint. Best, alphawav.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:50 PM

Thanks a ton for the info. I am going to call to file a complaint on Monday when they are open again. I have recorded conversations with Corporate Mitsubishi with them explaining the issue away. They are saying that there is no issue with the cars. If all of us call the appropriate people this will eventually get dealt with. This could very well save a life.

Thanks again for the info
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

Brand new 2011 GSR and I have the same problem, intermittently. We hit high 90's here today and the gasoline smell was INTENSE in the cabin. I didn't smell it in the engine bay, or in the trunk, it appeared to only be in the cabin. With a 10 month old infant this isn't a good thing. Hoping for a solution here.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 09:40 AM

Well my car is at the dealership they are looking into this problem hope to have feedback in a day or two we will see though
Old Jul 26, 2011, 02:05 PM

I just spoke with the https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and they are encouraging anyone experiencing this issue to call and file a complaint with them. There is a 1-800 # attached to the link I posted. They say that they will not look at this forum, but that everyone experiencing this issue is encouraged to call. The more complaints that they get about this the more seriously it is going to be taken. If your Evo is having this issue please take the time to call so that we can get this ball rolling. Have a great day!

Thanks for the help
Old Jul 28, 2011, 08:43 AM

yea just got mine back the dealership could find nothing wrong... figures i ill file the complaint
Old Jul 29, 2011, 01:07 AM
Evolving Member

I filed it online a week ago but nobody contacted me. Does anyone think the NHTSA will contact us? Just in case, I will call it in ....
Old Jul 31, 2011, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Took a trip up north and was stuck in stop and slow traffic. It was about 105 degrees and all four of us freaked from the gas smell. it only seemed to come throught the vents. I pulled off and checked, but nothing anywhere. I've also had the recall done. This is scary as hell stuck in traffic in the foothills on two lane roads.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 12:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Tommy Di Cat
Took a trip up north and was stuck in stop and slow traffic. It was about 105 degrees and all four of us freaked from the gas smell. it only seemed to come throught the vents. I pulled off and checked, but nothing anywhere. I've also had the recall done. This is scary as hell stuck in traffic in the foothills on two lane roads.

Did you also try to turn the air on / off . And outside air / recirculating air?
I'm curious because the gas smell on my car seems to seep in no matter what the conditions of the HVAC (air con) system.

Also, its strong enough to still be ultra strong when I even pull the windows down.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by alphawav
Did you also try to turn the air on / off . And outside air / recirculating air?
I'm curious because the gas smell on my car seems to seep in no matter what the conditions of the HVAC (air con) system.

Also, its strong enough to still be ultra strong when I even pull the windows down.
maybe that means the smell comes from the inside like under the rear seat where the fuel tank is located?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 08:41 AM

I was in traffic today in about 90deg weather with 3/4 full tank of gas, and the smell started to come through the vents so strongly that my girlfriend got out of the car and would not ride in it. We made it to a place where I could park the car. Two hours later when we got back in the car, and it still smelt like someone had had poured a cup of gas in the back seat. This really sucks! The only way anything is gonna get done about this, is if we all call the NHTSA. I have already called them. This is their webiste info https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and here is their phone number 1-888-327-4236. If your car is doing this then please call so that they can see how many people are having this problem. It really sucks to have a car payment on a $33,000 car that I can't drive because it is making me sick.

Quick Reply: Raw fuel smell when driving