Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Raw fuel smell when driving

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i will love you long time if this works, checking tonight we report tomorrow...
Originally Posted by jamevo8
I found the problem that causes EVERYONE'S fuel smell.open the trunk, on the drivers side open the cutout. There's a HCAC recirculate flap that comes out. It was inside tge bumper. I put it back in and no more smell.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 10:01 PM

I found the problem that causes EVERYONE'S fuel smell.open the trunk, on the drivers side open the cutout. There's a HCAC recirculate flap that comes out. It was inside tge bumper. I put it back in and no more smell.
I have the rockford system would this be behind the subwoofer? Has anyone else confirmed this fixes the smell?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

This isn't the source of the problem. The flap is still perfectly in tact on my new '11 and yet I still have the fuel smell issue. The source lies somewhere else unfortunately...

And yes, if you have the Rockford sub it does sit behind the enclosure. You can get a better view of it from underneath the car, just shine a flashlight up through the bumper, driver's side.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Yes I had to remove the sub in my car to get to it...

I had the same smell.. my flap was out, hanging insider rear bumper. i reinstalled and no more smell.

Its worth a try?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 12:05 PM

finaly there is something to check to
Old Aug 22, 2011, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

i checked this weekend and my flap was intake still.

The black plastic box with plastic vents behind the sub.

So that is not the issue for me at least.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same problem. But I will check in the morning about the flap....thing is, I also have the Rockford system.

Will report back.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Checked mine and looked for a vent looking thing, and mine is still intact. What could be causing this?

Just a question, does everyone that has this problem have a Rockford fosgate system? I just want to know since it might be caused by the subwoofer. The subwoofer cone traveling and acting as a pump, venting the air into the trunk and subsequently the cabin?

Last edited by Panda_stunter; Aug 25, 2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:57 AM

any other ideas?
Old Sep 4, 2011, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

pretty sure its not a vent in the trunk causing my AC to blow raw fuel smell into the car, just my 2 cents. But hopefully this thread does come up with a fix for this
Old Sep 18, 2011, 08:56 AM

I had this same problem but mine was only after the car sits for awhile. I think it was some issue with the evap system and started right after installing an ETS intake on a 2011. Fuel system was 100% dry and had plenty of dry dirt/dust. So it had to be some type of vapor.

Looked at the evap equipment and saw the big hose that apparently collects vapor? Then a smaller one that uses a fuel feed style fitting and runs all the way up under the car into the engine bay, then goes into some solenoid bolted to the intake manifold, then through a check valve and then right behind the throttle body.

I'm assuming vapors are pulled from that evap tank into the intake with vacuum. Sooo, the breather hose from the valve cover to the ETS intake fits like crap, at least if you have plastic valve cover...the fitting is huge so the stock hose fits pretty loose on the ets intake.
The other breather hose on the passenger side of the valve cover connects to the intake manifold. So I thought maybe the intake helps create some additional vacuum or something in the manifold to pull vapors from the rear of the car to the front.

I found a reducer to get the breather hose down to a size that will fit properly on the ETS intake and then drove the car on the high way for about 30 minutes. Parked and in the morning, the smell was almost gone. Don't know if it was related but I was logging fuel trims during that 30 minutes and noticed my ltft's go -1 then when pulling off back to 0?

So can anyone confirm that the vacuum/suction created by the intake assists the evap system in doing its job? Will this recirculated fuel vapor be enough to affect fueling if there is enough of it being generated? Or am I just on drugs?

Another thing, no smell in the engine bay what so ever only in cabin and trunk. Checked the flapper in the trunk as well, it was still there.

Any thoughts?
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Nah man....ur just high on fumes!

Anyways I noticed that this only happens when it's hot out and the tank is full. Its not 100 degree weather here anymore so I haven't smelled it since the last time it was sweltering hot here.

My theory is that the gas tank is getting pressurized coz of the temp and starts to leak in the trunk...and since the back seat doesn't have a metal back...just metal braces...it's seeps through it.

Just like u, no gas smell in the engine bay, just the cabin.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 11:26 AM

Hmmmm, I hate it when a smell mysteriously vanishes. And this happened when the weather got cooler out, not hotter!
Old Sep 19, 2011, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mike Jones
I had this same problem but mine was only after the car sits for awhile. I think it was some issue with the evap system and started right after installing an ETS intake on a 2011. Fuel system was 100% dry and had plenty of dry dirt/dust. So it had to be some type of vapor.
Any thoughts?
Has nothing to do with the PCV breather hose. I had the fuel smell problem right after I bought the car when it was still bone stock. I also had the same challenge with the ETS intake, but I fixed it by using a small hose clamp since the stock hose was too large in diameter for the brass fitting on the intake.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

I almost always drive with the windows down. Car is completely stock and I have never noticed the fuel smell until the other day. Windows were down as usual, fuel level was less than 1/2 tank and I was on the highway (in traffic) pushing it a little more than usual. I thought at first I was just getting someone else's exhaust gases but after exiting the highway the smell persisted. As others have said, this is not an issue to be taken lightly. If I can duplicate it I'll be calling the dealer, Mitsu corporate and NHTSA.

Quick Reply: Raw fuel smell when driving