Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clunk/Popping noise on startup

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2010, 06:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunk/Popping noise on startup

I searched high and low to see if anyone else had any similar issues and couldn't really find much. I am not talking about the noise that many hear when the car is put in reverse and begin backing out of driveway.

I had my car tuned yesterday at DG Motors on pump 93 and e85. Since leaving there, when i start my car i hear a quick clunking/popping noise coming from under the center console. This occurs for a split second right when the car cranks over. Sounds somewhat similar to the driveline clunk at high rpm shifts but seems to occur a little more toward the front of the car near the transmission. It is usually 2-3 clunks, and almost sounds like something is knocking on metal. I don't know if this is something i should be worried about, or if anyone might be able to help diagnose what is causing it.

Also, I can not tell definitely. But it seems like every now and then on downshifts it will also make the clunking noise when the clutch just starts to re-engage. Just a little harder to tell since the exhaust drones out the noise.

Hope someone might be able to lend some knowledge.