Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Engine or turbo stutter at high revs/speeds

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2010, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine or turbo stutter at high revs/speeds

Hi, I have noticed that when going at revs over 4000 in 5th gear and/or 85mph the turbo or engine starts to stutter a bit. Hard to describe but it sounds like the BOV can't hold the boost and that's what makes the noice.
I have the Tial BOV and it's very sensitive.

Is it a tuning issue or is the BOV too sensitive?
Old Sep 20, 2010, 02:56 PM

bump....anyone???
Old Sep 20, 2010, 03:10 PM

Bump for anyone
Old Sep 20, 2010, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

List any mods.. that might helps the gurus to diagnose your problem..
Old Sep 21, 2010, 08:08 PM

I have the same problem but I heard it is a cam position sensor but I'm not to sure
Old Sep 23, 2010, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Messidona
List any mods.. that might helps the gurus to diagnose your problem..
All it's got is your typical bolt-ons: Buschur FMIC with piping, AMS cold air intake w/K&N filter, Buschur full exhaust w/test pipe, Forge MBC, Tial BOV, Tune by Jestr Tuning (flash).

Also ONLY when i turn on the AC and stopped at a light it feels like its gonna turn off, its starts sputtering up and down from 800rpms down to around 200rpms.
What the hell???:ma d:

I am waiting on a retune. WILL THIS SOLVE BOTH ISSUES????
Old Sep 23, 2010, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Stutter I am willing to bet is your plugs, swap em out and see, the car turning off at a light w AC has to do with the tune most likely but the plugs might clear that up too.

I just got built and during the initial tuning to dial in my 2150 cc in injectors I developed enough fouling on the plugs to toast a set within less than 600 miles on the motor.

Pulled them last night and swapped a new set in and vuola!!! Success!!! cleaned everything right up.

I was having the same stuttering at higher rpm, felt like it was breaking up, if you have the same feeling it probably is the plugs from being rich fuel map and then tuning for a higher boost and the plugs are shot now
Old Sep 23, 2010, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

BTW if you are running a VTA on your car it will likely cause issues as Evo's are supposed to recirc unless you do the proper modification for VTA which by looking at the mods you listed you arent set up to run the VTA...

Cam position sensor is probably not it but then again I dont have a X but everything you described sounds like the plugs are shot.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AAEVOX
Also ONLY when i turn on the AC and stopped at a light it feels like its gonna turn off, its starts sputtering up and down from 800rpms down to around 200rpms.
That's a common problem with unshielded air filters if the radiator fans can blow on it...shouldn't be an issue with a CAI, though.

If the stutter/shudder happens every time then I doubt it is a misfire/plugs. I had a similar issue on my stock turbo but I think it was from aggressive MIVEC settings in that rpm range, creating surge. When I upgraded to a BBX on the same tune, it totally went away.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by 06MRV8Killer
BTW if you are running a VTA on your car it will likely cause issues as Evo's are supposed to recirc unless you do the proper modification for VTA which by looking at the mods you listed you arent set up to run the VTA...

Cam position sensor is probably not it but then again I dont have a X but everything you described sounds like the plugs are shot.
What would be the "proper mod" cause mine is not recirc but then again i bought the car as is just 2 months ago?!?
Old Sep 23, 2010, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by mlomker
That's a common problem with unshielded air filters if the radiator fans can blow on it...shouldn't be an issue with a CAI, though.

If the stutter/shudder happens every time then I doubt it is a misfire/plugs. I had a similar issue on my stock turbo but I think it was from aggressive MIVEC settings in that rpm range, creating surge. When I upgraded to a BBX on the same tune, it totally went away.
Well the issue with the AC happens only when i turn on the AC and in the lowest rpms (full stop).

The issue at higher speeds only happens after about 80-80mph and over 4Krpms, if i hit the gas a little bit it goes away but if i just slowly creep up to them it sputters.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mlomker

^ this as well could be it but I didnt mention it because you said its a CAI....

It can most definitely be plugs and its the first thing I would look at because it takes only a few minutes to pull them and check them out and then from there start looking into the MIVEC mapping etc...
Old Sep 23, 2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by 06MRV8Killer
^ this as well could be it but I didnt mention it because you said its a CAI....

It can most definitely be plugs and its the first thing I would look at because it takes only a few minutes to pull them and check them out and then from there start looking into the MIVEC mapping etc...
Which would be the best for the X (plugs)???
Old Sep 23, 2010, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Stock plugs are fine
Old Sep 23, 2010, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AAEVOX
Well the issue with the AC happens only when i turn on the AC and in the lowest rpms (full stop).

The issue at higher speeds only happens after about 80-80mph and over 4Krpms, if i hit the gas a little bit it goes away but if i just slowly creep up to them it sputters.
I would say based on this comment that the Tial being VTA is causing a problem... either you need to purchase the part to recirc it or have someone tune around it which is possible but calls for a retune and more money out of your pocket either way

Quick Reply: Engine or turbo stutter at high revs/speeds