Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

AMS shifter bushings - what's the difference?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2009, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AMS shifter bushings - what's the difference?

What is the difference between this:
AMS Performance Shifter Base Bushing Set:

and that:

AMS Under Hood Stiff Shifter Bushings:

Please help and explain what these things do. Thank you.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

the top one is for the Shifter Base. the others are 4 Under Hood.... Improves shift quality and accuracy Hood Shifter Bushings are designed specifically for the five speed equipped EVO VIII & IX. Made from high quality aluminum, these CNC precision machined bushings will greatly improve shift quality and accuracy by replacing the sloppy rubber OEM shifter bushings. This kit includes all the necessary hardware for a painless install.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dac001
the top one is for the Shifter Base. the others are 4 Under Hood.... Improves shift quality and accuracy Hood Shifter Bushings are designed specifically for the five speed equipped EVO VIII & IX. Made from high quality aluminum, these CNC precision machined bushings will greatly improve shift quality and accuracy by replacing the sloppy rubber OEM shifter bushings. This kit includes all the necessary hardware for a painless install.
They are sold as for the X.

Would you recommend both sets? Does it really make a difference in DD?

And I know what their description on the web is - but I don't understand what they actually do - how does it feel in driving.

Last edited by JED_POLAND; Dec 31, 2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have solid bushings in my Evo 8 and it was a night and day difference. I DD'd my car for a very long time (years) and it was great. I have ZERO issues to this day with them. I recommend a little antiseize on them though just in case as metals rub and deteriorate/aluminum can oxidize...

It's a very positive and solid feeling to shift and not have a spongy feedback.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

What to buy? Both kits?
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JED_POLAND
What to buy? Both kits?
The shifter base bushings are easy to swap when you add a short shifter. It removes all of the slop created by the stock rubber bushings.

If you order the under hood bushings then be sure to order the correct size. In 2008 some USDM cars came with small bushings and others came with the international (larger) bushings.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

both are good individually.. both together are full of epic awesome-ness
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

What to buy? Both kits?
Yes, heres why...

The shift lever is housed in a plastic base, and bolted to the floorboard in each corner. From the factory these are rubber bushings that allow some movement and to help keep things quiet. With the aluminum bushings the shifter housing will no longer move around.

Under hood bushings are where the shifter cables connect to the transmission shift fork assemblies. Again from the factory there are rubber bushings here to again keep things softer. Replacing these with solid metal bushings you'll know when your in gear and there will be no spongy feel once engaged.

If you check your car out right now and put it in gear it will still have a fair amount of play to push forward. Also if you pull the center console apart the shifter housing will be able to be "tweeked". All this leads to is extra play that can actually result in misshift conditions. With solid bushings there is no free play, and less chance of misshifts. You will absolutely notice a difference in a good way with these bushings.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Well. it all sounds great but I am a bit drawn back with that "correct size" thing...

Thank you guys for the great input so far!
Old Dec 31, 2009, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Well. it all sounds great but I am a bit drawn back with that "correct size" thing...

Thank you guys for the great input so far!
There was a shifter cable differenc ein the 10's in 2008 to current models. AMS will fix you up either way so no worries. Just give them a call and let them know your year and they should know which ones to send, worst case scenario they have to send a different one after the fact. It's a simple install.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

Shifter base bushings are cake to install. I recommend installing them in addition to a short-throw shifter... (There are several good ones... TWM, Works, etc...)

The shifter cable bushings are still relatively easy to install, but the one that faces the firewall requires a little patience.

Overall it's definitely worth the time + money + effort to install the bushings.

I have a TWM short throw w/ the TWM shifter base bushings (aluminum like the AMS) and AMS underhood bushings. I have had no issues and I definitely would recommend installing them. The feel is far superior to what comes stock.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by _mcjonnyp
both are good individually.. both together are full of epic awesome-ness
Maybe I will try'em. Thx.

Originally Posted by itzwolf
Yes, heres why...

The shift lever is housed in a plastic base, and bolted to the floorboard in each corner. From the factory these are rubber bushings that allow some movement and to help keep things quiet. With the aluminum bushings the shifter housing will no longer move around.

Under hood bushings are where the shifter cables connect to the transmission shift fork assemblies. Again from the factory there are rubber bushings here to again keep things softer. Replacing these with solid metal bushings you'll know when your in gear and there will be no spongy feel once engaged.

If you check your car out right now and put it in gear it will still have a fair amount of play to push forward. Also if you pull the center console apart the shifter housing will be able to be "tweeked". All this leads to is extra play that can actually result in misshift conditions. With solid bushings there is no free play, and less chance of misshifts. You will absolutely notice a difference in a good way with these bushings.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by mlomker
The shifter base bushings are easy to swap when you add a short shifter. It removes all of the slop created by the stock rubber bushings.

If you order the under hood bushings then be sure to order the correct size. In 2008 some USDM cars came with small bushings and others came with the international (larger) bushings.
I hate things like that.

Originally Posted by itzwolf
There was a shifter cable differenc ein the 10's in 2008 to current models. AMS will fix you up either way so no worries. Just give them a call and let them know your year and they should know which ones to send, worst case scenario they have to send a different one after the fact. It's a simple install.
I was going to buy them from Lancershop but they do not have any options to choose...

Originally Posted by shizblam
Shifter base bushings are cake to install. I recommend installing them in addition to a short-throw shifter... (There are several good ones... TWM, Works, etc...)

The shifter cable bushings are still relatively easy to install, but the one that faces the firewall requires a little patience.

Overall it's definitely worth the time + money + effort to install the bushings.

I have a TWM short throw w/ the TWM shifter base bushings (aluminum like the AMS) and AMS underhood bushings. I have had no issues and I definitely would recommend installing them. The feel is far superior to what comes stock.
Without a short-shifter it is not that great?
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

I have never used them w/o the short-throw, but I imagine they would still improve the feel of the shift. I just recommended installing them in addition to, because you will be removing the center console / shifter housing anyways.

The installation of the TWM short-throw, TWM base bushings, and TWM weighted knob made a huge difference. It got rid of a quite a bit of the notchiness / crunchiness into 2nd and 3rd. It was the first mod I did to my car, and I would do the same thing again.

I actually installed the underhood bushings after the short throw and shifter base bushings. I noticed a definite difference, but it wasn't huge.

Either way, I think the general consensus is the bushings (regardless of who you get them from) are going to feel better than stock. My personal advice would be to get both sets of bushings, a short throw, and a nice weighted knob. I don't know of anyone who doesn't prefer the feel of this setup over stock.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Yep. I am just now buying TMW short-shifter and TWM base bushings.
Why don't they make the underhood bushings for the X?
Old Dec 31, 2009, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

I've got them on my VIII with the stock shifter. I've got a bit of a vibration at certain RPM, but I think a heavier shift knob will alleviate that.

My shifts went from mushy to a rifle bolt action, I should have done this much sooner, as I have had bad problems missing shifts at the strip.

Quick Reply: AMS shifter bushings - what's the difference?