Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Switched from Buschur Quiet to Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switched from Buschur Quiet to Magnaflow

I have a 2010 WW SE w/ about 4K miles now. I wanted an exhaust that I could hear but not obnoxiously loud. The stock system was too quiet. After researching and watching exhaust videos for weeks, I thought the Buschur Crossflow with Quiet muffler was the one for me. So, I bought a brand-new one and installed it about 3 weeks ago with 3,200 miles on the car.

The verdict - it is too loud for my tastes. I'm not saying it sounds bad, in fact, I think it sounds very good but I find it too loud. Not obnoxiously loud, just too loud for my 44 year old ears. This is the exhaust I would have if I were 20 years younger. I thought that I would get used to it but didn't. So, this weekend, I replaced it with the Magnaflow CBE.

The Magnaflow is more to my liking. I like the sounds it makes but wish it were a tad bit louder. This said, I think this will be a keeper.

Comparing all 3 CBE's I've had, if we start with the stock system at 0 on a loud scale, I would say the Magnaflows are a 2 and the Buschur a 6. The perfect one for me would be a 3.

Other thoughts:
- I like the Buschur tips much, much better.
- Installation is the same for both
- The Buschur welds look cleaner
- Clearance looks to be the same
- You can adjust the angle of the tips on the Magnaflow
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought the Buschur Crossflow used the Magnaflow muffler?
Old Jan 17, 2011, 09:55 AM

if theres a cat get rid of it and put just a straight mid pipe in there itll open it alittle more for that little more noise your looking for
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by lowkey
I thought the Buschur Crossflow used the Magnaflow muffler?
Buschur uses a different Magnaflow muffler on their system.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by evo224
if theres a cat get rid of it and put just a straight mid pipe in there itll open it alittle more for that little more noise your looking for
That's next on my list. This time though, I'll try and meet up with someone with this set-up to hear it in person.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:02 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the magnaflow on my car (w/ 3" inlet), but always liked the idea of the design and thus liked the buschur too.

Anyone know the technical specs of the differences in the two mufflers? OP got any part numbers you could find on the two different pieces?
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

post a pic young man.. i wouldnt mind seeing as my invidia single tip is too loud for me.. iam lookin for solutions that wont hurt my pocket
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Red141, I was in the same predicament as you, I went through a CBE or two until settling on the COBB system. It's perfect for my, cough, cough +40 year old ears.

I've heard nothing but positive reports on the Magnaflow too.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by scheides
I have the magnaflow on my car (w/ 3" inlet), but always liked the idea of the design and thus liked the buschur too.

Anyone know the technical specs of the differences in the two mufflers? OP got any part numbers you could find on the two different pieces?
I couldn't find any part numbers. I would guess the Magnaflows for the Evo are specific to it. It is similar to the stock system except it looks bigger. The Magnaflow muffler on the Buscher looks half the size and is located right after the cat before the system splits into the twin-tips.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by kimma
post a pic young man.. i wouldnt mind seeing as my invidia single tip is too loud for me.. iam lookin for solutions that wont hurt my pocket
Pics of both systems? There is nothing special with mine and they look like all the pics on their respective websites. Did you want a pic of the mufflers side-by-side? If so, that will be difficult now that one of them is on the car. Sorry, I should have taken pics before installing.

EDIT: You know what, I can take a pic of the Buschur system next to the stock one. Since the design of the Magnaflow is basically the stock layout, that may give you an idea.

Last edited by Red141; Jan 17, 2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

i wish magnaflow made a single design..how much was you magnaflow system btw
Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

I've always liked the Buschur's exhausts. I had the older "race" exhaust on my 9 and it wasn't too loud. But that was with a hfc.

Maybe changing your cat to a test pipe may increase the noise on your current setup if you want it louder.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by kimma
i wish magnaflow made a single design..how much was you magnaflow system btw
YOu can have one welded together with a Magna canister for pretty decenty price.. Same net results. I like the Magna on my Honda. Deep but not loud.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 08:19 PM

glad you got a setup more to your liking. Some days I want a loud exhaust, but then others days I'm glad I have the ultra quiet stock exhaust. I guess I would like the power from the exhaust every day though.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Red141
I couldn't find any part numbers. I would guess the Magnaflows for the Evo are specific to it. It is similar to the stock system except it looks bigger. The Magnaflow muffler on the Buscher looks half the size and is located right after the cat before the system splits into the twin-tips.
That seems like the design of their original dual catback system w/ quiet muffler. Their Crossflow looks to be a similar design as the Magnaflow with the muffler in the stock location. It was designed to be much quieter than their original CB.

Could the OP confirm which Buschur he used? I'm shopping for a quiet CB myself and was leaning toward the Crossflow until I read your post.

Quick Reply: Switched from Buschur Quiet to Magnaflow