Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Loud screeching noise under acceleration...Any ideas? (Video inside)

Old Sep 1, 2011, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Loud screeching noise under acceleration...Any ideas? (Video inside)

My car has started to develop a loud screeching noise when accelerating hard. It only occurs in 1st and 2nd gear. It won't do it in 3rd, 4th, or 5th. It's almost as if it is only doing it in the gears with the most acceleration, as if when the front of the car lifts slightly under acceleration, it makes a noise. The car doesn't lift as much in 3rd, 4th, or 5th, so it doesn't happen. I don't know if that's a direct correlation to the noise or not, just a theory. I have no vibrations, or otherwise decrease in performance when the noise occurs.

What I've done so far to solve the problem? Check for boost leaks on as many couplers as easily possible. Crushed stock BOV so it will not leak as much. Checked wheels and suspension components for metal on metal scraping.

I am lightly modded - TBE, drop in filter, UICP, tune.

I was just curious if anyone else had a similar issue and what was the cause? I'm not looking for a ton of guesses, but hoping someone may have had the same type of issue.

Here is a video of the screeching several times during a recent auto cross. Funny thing is, it didn't seem to affect my times as I had one of the better times that day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_9nx...el_video_title

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by steinvb12; Sep 1, 2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
My guess is, if its doing it only in second gear then i would say it is a transmission.
Why i say this? because the rpm and engine load can be a same in every gear unless you have a gear selected boost level tune. So basically the engine is ruled out most likely. rest of the drive train also by the same principal.

I can be wrong very likely , since i am not a tuner neither mechanic. But that would be my guess.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
My guess is, if its doing it only in second gear then i would say it is a transmission.
Why i say this? because the rpm and engine load can be a same in every gear unless you have a gear selected boost level tune. So basically the engine is ruled out most likely. rest of the drive train also by the same principal.

I can be wrong very likely , since i am not a tuner neither mechanic. But that would be my guess.
Thanks for your input Rob. I am trying to cover most of the easier stuff I can check first, before I start digging and tearing into the trans and t-case.

Just to clarify, I can also get it to happen in 1st gear. In the video I am launching at the start, which is the start of when you hear it.

Funny thing is, I can do 2 pulls in 2nd gear, with no noise at all. And then the 3rd pull it will make the noise. So it doesn't even happen all the time. Just strange...
Old Feb 4, 2012, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did you ever figure out what this was. I am getting a similar noise from my evo
Old Feb 4, 2012, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're probably overheating the clutches or diff's possibly. Is it a paddle shifter?
Old Feb 4, 2012, 04:01 PM

Mine iis not. Happens hot and cold
Old Feb 5, 2012, 07:28 PM

Pull the turbo inlet and check for excessive shaft play, also look for any signs of the compressor wheel rubbing.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jrank3792
did you ever figure out what this was. I am getting a similar noise from my evo
Yes, I recently had it in the shop and discovered the filler plug for the transfer case was off. The fluid was slowly splashing out over time as the outside of the t-case was covered as well. I flushed the remaining fluid and refilled with OEM. The screeching is now gone, but I may have a faint hum at certain speeds.

I think the low fluid and lack of lubrication was causing the metal parts inside to rub against each other and cause a screech. I don’t think the t-case is completely trashed, but it probably has the wear of a 150,000 mile t-case that only really has 30,000 miles on it.

BTW, it's a manual, not the SST.

Last edited by steinvb12; Feb 6, 2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steinvb12
Yes, I recently had it in the shop and discovered the filler plug for the transfer case was off. The fluid was slowly splashing out over time as the outside of the t-case was covered as well. I flushed the remaining fluid and refilled with OEM. The screeching is now gone, but I may have a faint hum at certain speeds.

I think the low fluid and lack of lubrication was causing the metal parts inside to rub against each other and cause a screech. I don’t think the t-case is completely trashed, but it probably has the wear of a 150,000 mile t-case that only really has 30,000 miles on it.

BTW, it's a manual, not the SST.
Ouch. That sucks! was it serviced and they forgot to replace the plug?
Old Oct 5, 2012, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ugh, exact same issue. I get a high pitch screeching in 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear. Definately not transfer case whine, but it sounds like a t-case issue onto its own? I replaced the t-case fluid and I still have it, so I am not 100% sure whats going on. There are two other threads on the other forum that describe the same thing, but no consensus on whats going on. It's definately not common, but multiple evo x owners have run into this. Does anyone know what it is?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I figured I would try one more bump. Going to the shop on Saturday, the noise is still intermittent...sometimes I wont hear it. I'm thinking transfer case, turbo, or loose gasket near the turbo...sound like metal on metal...idk? Hopfully someone else who has had this issue can chime in. Thanks, B
Old Jun 13, 2014, 09:18 PM

Wondering if anybody figured out anything on this just bought a 2010 evox 2days later this noise. This my first turbo car i have had so any help would be helpful 2010 with 39k
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Mine happened to be the transfer case. I'm not exactly sure what inside the t-case was rubbing against each other to cause the screeching noise, but that was it.

There are other things that could cause a screech like a boost leak, so be careful and try to narrow it down. Mine sounded like it was metal on metal.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by steinvb12
Mine happened to be the transfer case. I'm not exactly sure what inside the t-case was rubbing against each other to cause the screeching noise, but that was it.

There are other things that could cause a screech like a boost leak, so be careful and try to narrow it down. Mine sounded like it was metal on metal.
Thx ya i think it transfer cause i am getting it at less than 2k rpm so gonna try and get fixed soon.