Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Works Short Shifter/Bushings Package... my review

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2011, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Works Short Shifter/Bushings Package... my review

Before buying any mods for my cars, I tend to do extensive research in reading reviews and experiences from others as well as giving myself time to weigh out options before making my final choice in product depending on my needs. So of course with my Evo X, this is no exception.

So here is my review of the Works Short Throw Shifter Package which includes the shifter, urethane console bushings, and urethane cable bushings. On a side note, I also installed a gear selector pivot bushing (made of Delrin) made by Torque Solution. (AMS also has a version of this bushing made of bronze)

I did not provide any pics but I just followed the TMW installation guide as it was very detailed and had many pics. You can find that here http://www.twmperformance.com/manual...all-manual.pdf

I'm not gonna go through the whole installation but here are a few things I did different than the TWM directions.
1. I pulled out the whole shifter assembly from the car instead of working on it inside the car. Doesn't really matter how you choose to do it, this was just my preference and it worked for me.
2. I installed the two console bushings that were farthest away from the driver upside down as it was too hard to slide them into the holes from the top but I don't believe it matters at all because mine turned out fine and I read that someone else did this and it also worked for him too, so it's all good for all of you who decide to do this.
3. I used a flat head screw driver to bend the push clips up slightly, then used a prong tool to pry them off.. no dremel for me.

Things I like about the shifter:
1. I really like the way the shifter is positioned. The height is perfect for me, it's just slightly shorter than stock but VERY comfortable for daily driving and it's also bent slightly closer towards the driver making shifting so natural and easy and it just glides into place.
2. I like how the Works shifter comes with a cup installed at the bottom greased and ready to install and slip into the lower shifter cable instead of having to remove the cup from the stock shifter and popping it back onto the new one.
3. The console bushings seem to be good, but as far as a difference, I don't really notice anything, although it may be a bit stiffer feeling.
4. The cable bushings and gear selector pivot bushing however... WOW what a difference! This definitely makes everything come together perfectly as far as overall movement and feel of shifting gears. This should be a definite buy if your gonna spend money on a short shifter.
5. The quality seems top notch, no complaints here. My shifting feels so solid now!

Ok so the only thing I am missing as far as my shifter mods are concerned is the MTL/MT90 Redline trans fluid cocktail. I will be doing this in a week. I honestly don't know how it could be better than it is now, but apparently it is the case so I will do it and give an update.

So anyone who is in the market for a short throw shifter, look no further as Works has the perfect package for the daily driver who is looking for a high quality and comfortable change in his shifting. I literally feel like I have a different car now, it makes shifting even more fun than it already is. I even live in LA where you would think shifting in traffic is a nuisance, but after this install, not at all.

But to buy the shifter without the bushings set would be like buying a pizza without the cheese... it's a must do and I can not emphasize this enough.

Good luck to you all who are in the market for one of these and I hope this helps your decision making easier as I personally know how hard it is. Kracka made a great review on this shifter compared to others and I just wanted to give my experience as well. Peace!
Old Sep 13, 2011, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Great review, thanks for posting!
Old Sep 13, 2011, 07:18 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the review. What made you choose the Works Short Throw over the TWM?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Kracka

exactly also having had experience with other shifters that were so short that it took away the comfortability of daily driving, I knew I had to go with WORKS. (Not with my Evo, but with my past cars) To me, a shorter shift does not necessarily equal a better shifter. Aside from the obvious performance factor, comfortability and feel played a huge role in my decision.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

well I had my heart set on the TWM short throw, but now I'm seriously reconsidering. Does the Works shifter help with the notchy feeling shifting into 2nd and 3rd?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

My transmission feels as smooth as a X 5-speed is going to get. I have the complete WORKS shifter package plus the AMS pivot bushing and Redline CocktailX.
The following users liked this post:
Angles217 (Jul 12, 2016)
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Buru_EvoX
well I had my heart set on the TWM short throw, but now I'm seriously reconsidering. Does the Works shifter help with the notchy feeling shifting into 2nd and 3rd?
yes, it helps out quite a bit. But like I said above, just make sure you get the whole package as each piece of the puzzle sorta speak is just as important as the next. So shifter, bushings, fluids.... done.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 02:12 PM

Not to thread jack but I too installed the works short shifter and entire bushing kit and absolutlely love it. I should have my cocktail mix in by thursday and then I will be all set

KRACKA'S REVIEW MADE ME DO THIS MOD!!! This X is way better when it comes to smooth shifting and comfortability!!! I did install the TWM shifter as well. It was in for two days. And I went back to the works. TWM was given to me and I sold it asap!! My best instinct was right and Works def gets the business
Old Sep 13, 2011, 04:13 PM

I just did a Works shifter and bushings. Those bushings sucked to install lol.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 04:23 PM

Where did you get the works short throw shifter package?
Old Sep 13, 2011, 05:43 PM

http://jscey.hhylf.servertrust.com/p...p/evoxtssp.htm

This is where I got mine. Exactly from them

And the bushings were not bad of an install. Seemed simple to install to me had no problems
Old Sep 13, 2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by alexandertg4
I just did a Works shifter and bushings. Those bushings sucked to install lol.
Really? They weren't too bad other than the two console bushings that I had to install upside down. The under the hood cable bushings and pivot bushing was easy although the pin clip for the upper one was a bit tricky since it faces away from you
Old Sep 14, 2011, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ManLe
I bought most of my shifter stuff through MAP.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by ManLe
I got it here http://jscey.hhylf.servertrust.com/p...p/evoxtssp.htm
Old Sep 14, 2011, 08:52 AM
Sev
Evolved Member

Overall, did the bushings decrease/remove the notchiness of stock? I'm so sick of grinding gears 1-3...

Quick Reply: Works Short Shifter/Bushings Package... my review