Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

how to bleed EVO X acd, noise from rear

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to bleed EVO X acd, noise from rear

First off, i am not much a forum typer so bare with me. I had my clutch install at a shop and they didn't bleed my ACD. My EVO X started to make a buzzing noise, from the acd/ayc pump at the rear.

Key on and pushing the gas method doesnt work to bleed the ACD on the EVO X. [actually, it does - Iowa999]

I had my EVo on a lift, use jack stand if not avalible. Make sure ACD/AYC fluid is full in the tunk. Have the car RUNNING in neutral with no parking brake on. Loosen the bleeder on the transfer case and rotate one of the wheels. When you rotate a wheel, the asc pump will kick on. Tighen the bleeder and refill the reservoir.

I alternated from wheel to wheel. Rotating the left front , will get the ACD/AYC pump running contiunously. Rotating/jerking the left rear wheel will also get the ACD/AYC pump going pretty good. I refilled the reservoir 3 times and the noise at the pump finally went away.

I put about 100 miles after the bleed, no buzzing noise at all comming from the pump or service lights.

Last edited by Iowa999; Jan 7, 2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: fixed consistent typo
Old Oct 17, 2011, 06:58 AM

I never thought about doing this method. I bled mine last night with a vacuum bleeder for brakes.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by silentsniper605
First off, i am not much a forum typer so bare with me. I had my clutch install at a shop and they didn't bleed my asc. My EVO X started to make a buzzing noise, from the acd/ayc pump at the rear.

Key on and pushing the gas method doesnt work to bleed the asc on the EVO X.

I had my EVo on a lift, use jack stand if not avalible. Make sure asc fluid is full in the tunk. Have the car RUNNING in neutral with no parking brake on. Loosen the bleeder on the transfer case and rotate one of the wheels. When you rotate a wheel, the asc pump will kick on. Tighen the bleeder and refill the reservoir.

I alternated from wheel to wheel. Rotating the left front , will get the asc pump running contiunously. Rotating/jerking the left rear wheel will also get the asc pump going pretty good. I refilled the reservoir 3 times and the noise at the pump finally went away.

I put about 100 miles after the bleed, no buzzing noise at all comming from the pump or service lights.
That is interesting, but what about bleeding the rear diff? Does it also activate those valves?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by black95tt
That is interesting, but what about bleeding the rear diff? Does it also activate those valves?

acd and ayc is same pump. I would try to turn the steering wheel left and right to activate the rear diff. and open the rear bleeders
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

good find! I'm glad there's a way to do this w/o having to go to the dealer and use the MUT III.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
acd and ayc is same pump. I would try to turn the steering wheel left and right to activate the rear diff. and open the rear bleeders
I understand it's the same pump, but different valves are used for the rear diff. Can you confirm that merely turning the steering wheel activates those valves? I would think that all the wheels would have to be rotating and then some having some steering input might do it.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 05:39 PM

Bump for some more information if this procedure actually works.

MvP
Old Oct 26, 2011, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sword_of_Spirit
Bump for some more information if this procedure actually works.

MvP
I got about 2000 miles after this procedure, still no buzzing noise from the rear pump and no asc lights. So it works for bleeding the acd.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 06:48 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
haha awesome! I'll have to try this if I ever disconnect my ACD/AYC...although I didn't disconnect mine when doing a clutch job or even when taking the motor/trans out....
Old Jan 7, 2014, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

To revive an old thread, were you getting service required light?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by hamburger_train
To revive an old thread, were you getting service required light?
After clutch installed, I had service light on....but method on top actually works...but make sure have four jack stand to do this job...anyway, take it to shop if u want to put aftermarket clutches.....the installation really sux and pain in ***!!... I will never going to do it again
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:53 PM

I got about 2000 miles after this procedure, still no buzzing noise from the rear pump and no asc lights. So it works for bleeding the acd.
How many times did you open and close the bleeder valve? Im getting 4wd service and asc service required lights after my whole drivetrain was taken apart and installed with new aftermarket clutch. And the level is way above the full mark in the reservoir now which i know is a distinct sign bleeding is needed. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:40 AM

Yea had my pump **** out and replaced it but still getting a code and service caution this didn't work for me
Old Dec 2, 2014, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Bumped for progress. I'll be trying this method either tonight or tomorrow. So far in my search, this is the only promising method to bleed the X acd without the tool.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:08 AM

Good methed

Quick Reply: how to bleed EVO X acd, noise from rear