Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Megan DP rubbing transfer case

Old Oct 15, 2011, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Megan DP rubbing transfer case

Hey guys, just put in my Megan DP and it seems it slightly touches a very odd part sticking out of the transfer case and makes a soft rattle... Does anyone else have this problem? Should i be worried about this either damaging the transfer case or the downpipe?
Old Oct 15, 2011, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

Would wrapping the spot that is touching the T-case in heat wrap alleviate the problem and the danger for damage? Or should i just remove it, put the stock DP back on and just forget this ever happened haha. ( a little clarification, the part that the pipe is touching is not the main part of the t-case, but rather a small part that is sticking out into the path of the downpipe.) I can live with a small rattle, but i can't live with replacing the t-case in 20,000 miles.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:20 PM

i just started to experience same problem with the invidia downpipe hitting against the oil pan
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

I didn't think it was a big issue until I saw these people who ended up with a broken t-case from it ( or in your case an oil pan haha) The guy at my shop told me it was gonna rattle, and I was like " w/e rattle is fine" lol
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

I had the rattle on my 8 with Invidia downpipe. I think wrapping it with heat wrap would suffice and prevent from extensive damage but that's just me thinking logically, who really knows.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

So it seems the downpipe has melted a very small groove into the piece sticking out of the transfer case ( melted or shaved off, idk haha) Should I be worried about this doing internal damage to the T-case? Or am i fine to just leave it alone?
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:18 PM

I just installed megan DP yesterday and i have the same exact problem! im ok with the rattle but im not sure if its gonna damage the transfercase. i thought about wrapping it with heat wrap but haven't done it yet. Im not sure what to do. Do you still have the megan DP in??
Old Mar 30, 2013, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

I do, and it actually did start to melt the casing for the TC. I would NOT suggest heatwrapping it either, as the rough surface on the heatwrap might wear away at the casing as well. What I ended up doing is marking where it was rubbing, and then hammering a dent at that spot so it doesn't rub. A little crude, but it got the job done.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 04:46 PM

alright, i was thinking of heat wrapping it anyway. so ill try denting it and wrapping it. how do you like the megan test pipe? i was gonna order it but they dont have it in stock at the moment.