Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Surge Tank Gurus...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Surge Tank Gurus...

Regarding actual pressure of the surge tank:

We want the surge tank to constantly be "overflowing"? by Overflow I mean returning to the main tank. correct?

Unless it is doing so, than we have no venturi effect via the return in the OEM housing. Correct?

So ideally we would want the surge tank to be constantly overflowing fuel into the return to keep the venturi? If this is the case then we can assume that a slight positive pressure on the surge tank is ideal?

Maybe <5 psi on the surge tank itself?

Thoughts?
Old Nov 4, 2011, 04:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The surge tank itself should not see hardly any positive pressure at all (depends on the combination of pumps being used/amount of fuel needed at any given point). So the venturi effect will still be flow dependent on the FPR return line.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My old setup with dual walbros seemed to overflow the return from the surge tank to the main fuel tank a little bit. I knew this because my lowest fuel pressure at idle was 48 psi, not horrible but indeed it was likely that my surge tank had around 5 psi of extra pressure in it and was constantly overflowing into the main tank unless under boost.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 07:58 AM
Former Sponsor

you will see pressure in the surge tank with the stock venturi in place anytime the surge tank is completely full (which is almost always). at idle and very light loads that means the rail pressure will be slightly higher, but cruising there is enough fuel consumption to bring the pressure back down to what its regulated at.

you don't necessarily always need to be flowing from the surge tank to the primary tank, but for the venturi to work, that must be the case. any time you pull Gees and the sending unit starves, you wont be returning fuel to the main tank, and any time your engine consumes more fuel then the sending unit can provide, you'll also stop flow to the main tank.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
My old setup with dual walbros seemed to overflow the return from the surge tank to the main fuel tank a little bit. I knew this because my lowest fuel pressure at idle was 48 psi, not horrible but indeed it was likely that my surge tank had around 5 psi of extra pressure in it and was constantly overflowing into the main tank unless under boost.
Did you port the return?

Originally Posted by KevinD
you will see pressure in the surge tank with the stock venturi in place anytime the surge tank is completely full (which is almost always). at idle and very light loads that means the rail pressure will be slightly higher, but cruising there is enough fuel consumption to bring the pressure back down to what its regulated at.

you don't necessarily always need to be flowing from the surge tank to the primary tank, but for the venturi to work, that must be the case. any time you pull Gees and the sending unit starves, you wont be returning fuel to the main tank, and any time your engine consumes more fuel then the sending unit can provide, you'll also stop flow to the main tank.
What about porting the return? This should drop psi all around, yes?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

bump?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 02:21 PM

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but there is another thing to consider when assembling a surge tank setup.

Not only is the fuel rail return line adding fuel/pressure to the surge tank, but also the in sump fuel pump. As the surge tank fills to capacity, the sump-surge tank circle of flow becomes pressurized (amount depending on sump pump size) and returns fuel back to the sump.

I am currently, in my head, trying to resolve this issue of overflowing the regulator due to the primary surge tank being at a positive pressure. I believe it would require a second surge tank and POSSIBLY a third very, very small pump. But let me work on that part a bit.

Cheers
Old Mar 1, 2012, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hotstix
Did you port the return?

What about porting the return? This should drop psi all around, yes?
Oops, never saw this question...

No I never ported the return but I did make sure it wasn't blocked by any debris.

On my new builds I'm going to try an electronic fuel pressure regulator from fuel labs that controls the larger fuel lab pumps at low flow load, that way it won't over-run the regulator when at idle or light cruise and will ramp up to full flow when you need it. I'll post details of how it works once everything is tuned on the dyno in a few weeks.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hiboost
Oops, never saw this question...

No I never ported the return but I did make sure it wasn't blocked by any debris.

On my new builds I'm going to try an electronic fuel pressure regulator from fuel labs that controls the larger fuel lab pumps at low flow load, that way it won't over-run the regulator when at idle or light cruise and will ramp up to full flow when you need it. I'll post details of how it works once everything is tuned on the dyno in a few weeks.
This is basically what Im doing now for my surge tank. Except I used a weldon and fuel pump controller to regulate pump speed at an idle and WOT conditions.

Got my surge tank setup pretty dialed in.