Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transfer Case, What are the options?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jyamona
so the noise following RPM would have to be transmission / diff pin related?
Also wondering. I have an rpm specific noise. Every gear, same rpm. Can't determine if it's resonance or actual whine.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi Corp and local DC area stealerships sucks. They refused warranty on my axle shaft. Koons of Silver Spring , MD said I had an aftermarket axle shaft from a different Mitsubishi model. I laughed and I just wanted to slap all of them silly!!!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by d3r3k
Anyway to tell if its ring and pinion or something else?
Bring it to someone to pull it apart and diagnose it... Or, send it to Shep and let him. Either way, its an issue that seems to be plaguing the X's. Chances are, at some point, practically any point you'll need to address the transmission
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Call shep and ask if they have a core they can sell you with a rebuild. They have some very reasonable prices on cores.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deeman101
Call shep and ask if they have a core they can sell you with a rebuild. They have some very reasonable prices on cores.
Luck is the name of the game with that one... I was prepared to by a brand new one. Only to find out when I called he had just gotten in a virtually brand new one ready to go, much cheaper than the brand new ones. Only 1,800 miles on it
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

So I took it to a transmission shop my friends dad (whos a mechanic) referred me too. Guy tells me my xfer case isnt even cracked and its my tranny itself ! , not that its going to make a diff, but Im going to write a complaint letter to mitsubishi, Ive had nothing but bull**** service wise from day one with the purchase of this ****ing car, and the dealer has the ***** to call my house 2-3x a week asking how my "Lancer" is doing, telling me the new 2012 lancer comes with AWD, oh really, because my Lancer has had AWD.... **** these guys, Ive owned mitsubishis since I ever had a car, Last one ill ever own, I love the car, but this company is ****.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

So I took it to a transmission shop my friends dad (whos a mechanic) referred me too. Guy tells me my xfer case isnt even cracked and its my tranny itself ! , not that its going to make a diff, but Im going to write a complaint letter to mitsubishi, Ive had nothing but bull**** service wise from day one with the purchase of this ****ing car, and the dealer has the ***** to call my house 2-3x a week asking how my "Lancer" is doing, telling me the new 2012 lancer comes with AWD, oh really, because my Lancer has had AWD.... **** these guys, Ive owned mitsubishis since I ever had a car, Last one ill ever own, I love the car, but this company is ****.
Just contact the regional rep that covers the dealer you went to. If you present your argument well, you could get this covered after all. the key it to present evidence that the dealer was incompetent.

good luck
Old Apr 9, 2012, 10:37 PM

Ive got a real bad whine coming from my T case..putting down about 450 so its got a lot of stress. Around how much $$$$$$ is it to do a Built Shep T-case??? Also did you feel performance improvement with it.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BoostAddict420
Ive got a real bad whine coming from my T case..putting down about 450 so its got a lot of stress. Around how much $$$$$$ is it to do a Built Shep T-case??? Also did you feel performance improvement with it.
Shep rebuild is ~$375 unless anything on the internal is damaged then you're going to have to buy parts if they're replaceable. My shep t case is going in thurs so I'll let you know performance wise. I'm at 450 also until I swap turbo's in May
Old Apr 10, 2012, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

Honestly I dont know, I think im just going to Buy a used off of Ebay and Have Shepp reinforce it. I was going to get mine pulled sent out, sent back then reinstalled BUT the guy who is going to do it doesnt want my car tying up the Lift all that time, Which I dont blame him... Anyone else have any info. Is Shepp or Jacks on this forum, Itd be nice to have answers from them on here in writing.
You can try taking it out yourself and sending it out. Another option to not tying up a lift if to just push the car off when your done taking it out.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

^ mine was pushed off the rack with the engine, trans and t case off. Just bolt the sub frame back up and you're good. finally going back together tomorrow
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

So heres an update ..... ALL THIS BS and its not even my T-case.... while mitsu has a written report stating it is, i brought my car to a trans shop, its on the lift in a million pieces, look what really happened! Pin from final Drive came out, scraped about a 1/8" of aluminum out of my transmission case, and cracked it.... Debating taking legal action seeing how They told me it was my transfer case and wrote that on the report and voided my warranty. Imagine if i paid the 5grand for the transfer case job and still had a transmission leak.... Im going to rip someones head off!!!!!!

Name:  2012-04-12_17-03-34_787.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  56.2 KB

Name:  2012-04-12_17-03-40_329.jpg
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  2012-04-12_17-03-48_272.jpg
Size:  48.2 KB

Name:  2012-04-12_17-03-59_356.jpg
Size:  40.3 KB

Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Legal action would take alot time and money. Mitsubishi has probably been sued a million times over the Evo.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 02:22 PM

If the noise only comes after the car has been running for a while, is it still the T-Case? or could it be something else. Its a dull whine that comes in gear increasing as rev's go high when its gear. Only*** when the car has been running for an hour or so.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hollywood_X
Call Jacks trans he has some options
I just talk to jacks and shep there is no real upgrades for t case just a refresh on oem nothing that big I'm needing one my self pushing big power on stock t case

Quick Reply: Transfer Case, What are the options?