Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Overboosting T.T

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overboosting T.T

So, here is the problem at hand. As the title states I am overboosting. Currently my setup is Tomei DP, AMS HFC, AMS Cat-back, AMS Intake, Forge Adjustable BPV(Recirculated), and Depo Racing UCIP. I'm running on the OTS Stage 2 AMS Intake LWG Map on my Cobb Ap. Now that, that's done here is what happens. At WOT, around 5-6k RPM my evo stumbles/jerks hard and then the RPM's skyrocket to redline (boost peaks at around 31-33psi). Following this my traction control gets forcibly shut off and my SES light comes on (P1235). I know that the P1235 is the overboost code, but i'm having a hard timing figuring out how to remedy this. I figured it was the BOV so i tighten'd it all the way to hard, and still the same issue. I've been playing with the BOV at different settings but that doesn't seem to do anything. I usually don't post on the forums to much but please any help/advice would be amazing.

Thank you
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:58 AM

Have you messed with your wastegate at all?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:53 AM

being that i don't know where it is.. i don't believe i messed with it lol
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:24 PM

Lol well I suppose not then. Your wg could be sticking though, if you want to take a look I can explain how to check it and clean it if you like.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:40 PM

please!!! i bought it used.. so i want to check everything before i get it in for a tune.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:50 PM

Make sure your car is cooled down and remove the exhaust manifold heat shield that's held on by a few 10 mm bolts. May want to spray them with penetrating lube as I know people bust them off. Once the heat shield is removed you will see the wastegate actuator arm connected with a eyebolt to your turbo housing. Remove the cotter pin and slide the arm off, make sure not to spin the eyebolt on the end of the actuator arm. Then grab the arm that is connected to the housing and move it up and down. If you feel a catch, it may be very slight but enough to spike your boost, spray either brake clean or another cleaner and exercise it up and down. On mine I also sprayed a lubricant as well.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:58 PM

Thanks ill give it a go this weekend and let you know what i come across!!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:38 AM

so heres the update, the wastegate has been checked and cleaned, everything was fine. i went for a test pull and still the same issue. I put the forge rs bov on full stiff this time and it held boost better but still spiked at 28.5-29.2, and went limp.