Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

SST Fluid and Timing chain

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2013, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SST Fluid and Timing chain

Hello guys im new here so just wanted to clear somethings with my 08 Evo X MR which i purchased used with 130k

The car runs in great condition but i wanted to make sure everything has been done to it right to my satisfaction as i dont trust others very much.

1.) the previous owner said he used Pentosin FFL-2 Dual clutch transmission fluid in the SST transmission when he did a Tranny drain and fill (Assume with the filter). Is this FFL-2 safe to use and has anybody else used it in their SST?

2.) i believe the 2008 Evo x have some timing chain issues he said he has never gotten anything done to it, should i take it to the dealership or what is the first thing i should get checked out regarding the timing chain.

one last thing anybody has the link to where i can get SST transmission filters online! i live in canada.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Emad K
2.) i believe the 2008 Evo x have some timing chain issues he said he has never gotten anything done to it, should i take it to the dealership or what is the first thing i should get checked out regarding the timing chain.

one last thing anybody has the link to where i can get SST transmission filters online! i live in canada.
I just had Dino at SpeedCircuit do some work on my car, and he advised me that the timing chain stretches and wears on the Evo X. Newer models are being upgraded with a beefier chain. I saw them both myself and the new one is much thicker.

I mean, if you're looking to do some preventative maintenance then I guess it's not a bad idea at all to have it replaced, but it's going to cost you a bit of money in terms of labor. If you're willing to do that then I'd say go for it, especially if you have no other plans for aftermarket modifications.

With regard to your question about trans fluid and filter, I have no idea. I run SSP's trans fluid, which is very expensive, but apparently worth it. I would recommend going with that fluid if you want to have it serviced, but perhaps someone else can provide more knowledge on the subject.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 06:38 AM

The timing chain issue will show up when the chain has stretched enough to trigger a sensor.

Once it has stretched to that point, it needs to be replaced or it will start rubbing and damage more expensive parts.

You will get a big triangle warning on your display and, look it up and it tells you a warning that isn't too dire, bu that you need to get it looked at.

When mine did that, the dealer wasn't even that concerned about it, didn't think it was a rush.

It was under warranty for me and the repair would have cost about 1200.00 if memory serves.

Not sure why but most other cars now that use chains were done to not have to replace belts and they usually last the life of the engine.

Since you have a sensor to tell you it needs to be replaced, I would just wait and see if the light goes off, it's not a sudden issue and there doesn't seem to be any good reason to replace it until it says it needs it.