Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clunk when shifting hard into second

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2013, 03:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunk when shifting hard into second

Thought it would have been a simple search to find this answer. When I shift hard from first to second (quite rare since I don't beat on the car), I get a clunk (sounds like it comes from the front). Most answers I found said it is the awd system (well duh) and that it is most likely coming from the diff (saw something with the 8 and 9 saying they had a floating diff).

My question is, I'm assuming this is normal, but knowing we have diff pins that could shear, is the clunk basically me hammering away those diff pins, or is it unrelated and I should just ignore it? Again, I can remember getting this clunk a handful of times owning this car and only when shifting hard from first to second, no other times.

Edit: On a semi related note I get a metal clacking noise when starting and stopping in first when stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. Anyone else get this?
Old Apr 26, 2013, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The tranny's in the X's are horrible, there is an entire thread dedicated to the notchiness of them. If you're still under warranty, take it in. Unless someone else has some more helpful info
Old Apr 27, 2013, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

im having a similar issue. im about to pull the trigger on carrier bearing bushings, differential spacers, and a front motor mount in hopes of adding some stiffness

Posted from Evolutionm.net App for Android
Old Apr 27, 2013, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CainEvoX
im having a similar issue. im about to pull the trigger on carrier bearing bushings, differential spacers, and a front motor mount in hopes of adding some stiffness

You have part numbers for the bushings and the spacers? It be nice to get a list together to make this a better tranny.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

I went to modern automotive performance website and found them there. im now trying to decide whether I should save for a little bit longer and get the kracka special with the short throw or just buy the bushings separately.

Old Apr 27, 2013, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

I hear its also the tranny fluid used. People have reported better shifting with Redline fluids.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

With fluids, I use the stock fluids for the Diff and the AYC, which is what I have found most people recommend. I went Amsoil for the transmission and it is much less notchy.

The clunk does not seem related to the transmission notchyness.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

The clunk does not seem related to the transmission notchyness. [/quote]

^this

Old Apr 28, 2013, 09:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CainEvoX
^this

Exactly. My clanking noise (separate issue - sounds like a heat shield banging back and forth) seems tranny related, the clunk I would assume is diff related.

It feels like (completely unknowledgeable assumption here) that it is related to whatever is in the front sending power to the back. Now what that apparatus is, I have no clue.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

This is probably unrelated but depending on how many km's your car has check the driveshaft u-joints for play.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thomar
This is probably unrelated but depending on how many km's your car has check the driveshaft u-joints for play.
60K miles and I have not. Good suggestion though.

Edit: Looking at pictures of the drive shaft, I wonder if it comes from there, seeing all the pieces have to lock up before it moves.

I saw on the other site a shop making high quality driveshafts for like $600. Search for this:Bill's Englewood Driveshaft

Last edited by GetterDragun; Apr 28, 2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:41 PM

I don't know where the info about the X having a crap trans. The notchy shifting isn't even the trans. The biggest issue is the cable end bushings. Especially on the later years when it was bigger. Replace that and good fluid, the trans should shift like butter.

The only clunking I get is from the rear diff in between hard shifts. I get a little slop on slow take offs once in awhile. But I think it's normal to me.
Old May 14, 2013, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I recently acquired a '13 GSR, I get the clunk/thunk sound when shifting aggressively. I have read similar things on WRX's. Not sure if its related to AWD cars. Have read of fellow Evo owners suggesting to shift smoother, meaning not to dump the clutch but rather a smooth quick slippage/transition of the clutch pedal.

Its definitely drivetrain shock. Not sure if its the diff bushings or the diff itself maybe even the transfer case. Only 2 days into owning the car so haven't gone through the whole car yet to get familiar with it. I have tuned many powerful cars with great traction and never get the thunk sound when shifting aggressively.

Last edited by xBoostx; May 14, 2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old May 14, 2013, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Edit: Solid rear diff bushings is said to fix the problem.

Last edited by xBoostx; May 14, 2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old May 20, 2013, 02:09 PM

And here I just assumed it was the S-AWC locking the rear diff to keep traction...

Quick Reply: Clunk when shifting hard into second