Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

NEED HELP AYC ACD PUMP failing - S-AWC Flashing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy NEED HELP AYC ACD PUMP failing - S-AWC Flashing

well just like the others experiencing this problem this how mine goes..

live in chicago, cold town, well our winter reaches until may of this year i did
not have any problem with my S-AWC until the hot weather kicks in - from cold to staggering 80-90's weather. that very 1st hot day pulling out of the
parking lot i noticed my dash throw a S-AWC service required light, worried
went to the dealer and they gave my car a flash. after that i did not get the
S-AWC service required but instead i got a flashing TARMAC/GARVEL/SNOW
again went to the dealer and the service manager was nice enough to work with the mitsubishi if they can have it warrantied...my car miles is 29,600 more than 3 yrs old. crossing my finger that they'll cover it.

anyway this is what i noticed today - our weather is back on 50's and my TARMAC/GRAVEL/SNOW did not flash stayed on like how it should be...so im wondering. do my ACD pump motor overheat when its hot? or do i need to replace my fluid bcoz its not bringing the right viscosity anymore, the fluid is dirty??
Old Jun 3, 2013, 11:50 AM

I wish you luck with that fn pump. Mine is only leaking, thankfuly. More than likely the dealer will do an "inspection", and then wont get back to you. You will then call and they will have denied your claim, and not have a reason. Unfortunately thats my expereince. Then you will want to call a third party dispute center to challange. 1-800-937-3763 and choose the number for mitsubishi. They will tell you to fill out some paperwork to file a claim with them. I havent gotten any farther yet. Good Luck!!
Old Jun 3, 2013, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

if your is not broken and still working my suggestion would be rebuilding it - its like sealing your ACD pump..that route is cheaper.

but if your motor is broken - theres no scaping it.....

is there anyway of testing the pump if still working???

Originally Posted by FINCHY78
I wish you luck with that fn pump. Mine is only leaking, thankfuly. More than likely the dealer will do an "inspection", and then wont get back to you. You will then call and they will have denied your claim, and not have a reason. Unfortunately thats my expereince. Then you will want to call a third party dispute center to challange. 1-800-937-3763 and choose the number for mitsubishi. They will tell you to fill out some paperwork to file a claim with them. I havent gotten any farther yet. Good Luck!!
Old Jun 3, 2013, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by SniperwolF
if your is not broken and still working my suggestion would be rebuilding it - its like sealing your ACD pump..that route is cheaper.

but if your motor is broken - theres no scaping it.....

is there anyway of testing the pump if still working???

I have thought of rebulding it, although I am told it is necessary to bleed the system first, the mitsu dealer supposedly has the only program and pumps to bleed the system. I have heard people working on the pump with out a bleed and have been succesful. Do you know where I can get a rebuild kit?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OP, please check out my threads, I explain everything about the issue, to save you some time I'll cut & paste.

This is whats happening to your pump.
"The dealer/tech basically said that the pump had gotten corroded (which most of us should know/have known already) and the viscosity of the fluid played a role in the failure.

I only had issues when it was warmer outside, what would happen is the fluid would get thinner, thereby making it easier for the fluid to escape the pump, and the pump not being able to get a good seal. So basically the pump was spinning up, constantly trying to get to a sustainable pressure (290 psi I believe), and would then overheat and put itself into a safety mode to keep from burning up the electric motor"

Here are the threads that I created and logged my experience with Mitsu.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...wc-system.html

Also if Mitsu refuses to cover the pump under the powertrain warranty, please go here and file a complaint.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-failures.html
Old Jun 4, 2013, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

here you go..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-EVO-X-ACD-AYC-pump-rebuild-kit-/321129875064?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ac4d50678&vxp=mtr

I have thought of rebulding it, although I am told it is necessary to bleed the system first, the mitsu dealer supposedly has the only program and pumps to bleed the system. I have heard people working on the pump with out a bleed and have been succesful. Do you know where I can get a rebuild kit?
Old Jun 4, 2013, 07:59 AM

Light flashing

My issue was it wasn't properly bleed after trans removal. (SST) so is suggest getting new mitsu fluid, And get it properly bled. Either with ecuflash or dealer.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, an improper bleed can cause the C161E code to be thrown, but odds are the pump is on its way out. Mitsu charges $180 for a system bleed with their MUT-III tool, so you can go that route if necessary. Are you still under your 3yr/36k mile warranty?

Also, if you've had your clutch replaced recently they're supposed to bleed the system after install. That could cause it as well.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:35 AM

Anyone having issues with the AYC/ACD pump, i encourage you to please go to this site and file a complaint. Mitsu knows about the pump failing prematueraly and does not care to fix it. If we all stick together they will have no choice but to listen. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
Old Jun 4, 2013, 02:23 PM

Anyone having issues with the AYC/ACD pump, i encourage you to please go to this site and file a complaint. Mitsu knows about the pump failing prematueraly and does not care to fix it. If we all stick together they will have no choice but to listen. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
This, this is a safety issue if I ever heard of one
Old Jun 4, 2013, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

i already filed mine