Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Kinugawa 25g turbo thread for Evo X

Old Oct 29, 2013, 07:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So about a month ago, I got a bug up my butt to take an actual Kinugawa turbocharger apart and do an actual analysis of what I found. Long story short, I found nothing blatantly cheap about any of the Kinugawa parts that I ordered.

Last edited by NFSLancerRA; Oct 29, 2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 07:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by zanelefko
It wasnt that he wasnt willing to spend the money on a "name brand" company, turbo, whatever.... these are new to the market and someone had to be the guinea pig. These turbos worked great on the 8/9 and one of our close friends had one making some great power for a loooooong time. Sometimes you pay the price to be the first.
You wouldn't believe what it actually costs to make a complete turbocharger. Between all parts, labor, programming time, etc, it is going to cost me about $1,200 to have an almost FP-Black sized turbocharger made. That is one person, making one unit, ordering one set of parts with almost no discount. To make 10, it would cost me less...way less. My next challenge is to see how much more expensive it is to incorporate a BB into that design.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I ran my kinugawa on my 8 for nearly 4 months and no issues, I still need to tune it but alot of people are impressed with the sound during full spool, and how it slams you back in the seat

really good turbo, im lookig forward to the ball bearing design
Old Nov 16, 2013, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribed for the updates
Old Nov 24, 2013, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

Sooo long time update.
The shop that worked on my car royally screwed me over.

They ended up damaging my driver axle , speed sensor , chipped my paint , ****ed my tranny , and somehow the Transfer case in the whole process. Oh did I mention I needed a new clutch?

I actually took it to the dealer and they helped somewhat ( which I am impressed)

but of course had to fork over for a new T-case. Long story short, it was installed incorrectly , and the tranny lets just say a bunch of bolts where loose.. NOT impressed AT ALL
of course I charged back every single red cent from that place. And my credit card company got all the records from the dealership on their shoddy work.

The new block in the car is not even the same model year of my car when i was told I had a 2010+ block. It ended up being a 2008 long block which now , i have to fork over MORE money to do a timing chain update.

Anyhow a few more thousand dollars later, the car is running correctly, the car pulls like a beast and honestly i am not touching it anymore for a bit. So dyno numbers will come at a later time.

I might get rid of the car here in the next 6-9 months and finally bite the bullet and get myself a GTR. I loved the evo but this whole adventure ( not the turbo btw) left a big sour taste in my mouth :\
Old Nov 27, 2013, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

the good thing about a 08 engine would be the valve cover is metal. The 2010 still had the bad chain along with the 2011. as to junk turbo failures before people bash maybe they should look up all the trusted turbos like fp, garrett and precision and they would notice they are failing aswell. and a broken/ cracked hotside on a high end turbo setting a car on fire seems far worse then risking a blown turbo oil seal or something.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by FastAttack
Anyhow a few more thousand dollars later, the car is running correctly, the car pulls like a beast and honestly i am not touching it anymore for a bit. So dyno numbers will come at a later time.
Sorry to hear about your issues but she is up a running now, glad to hear it!! Enjoy!
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

before I forget the T-case had no fluids , and the tranny barely had any fluid.

Anyhow I am getting a full re-tune .. the car has a weird issue during hot starts.. its almost like the car has a cam lol , and i am jumping between lean and rich. the moment you move the car past 5mph it completely disappears.

Anyhow the car now has 6k miles on the turbo. And no issues to report .. I do have to re-do the oil drain though, the rubber hose it uses now will not work for long term use.

Last edited by FastAttack; Dec 19, 2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 09:07 AM
Former Sponsor

I believe that it is time to update this thread with the 25GV2:

Name:  64EACDFB-9BBE-4388-93FC-8B3417208A29_zpsiwcehtar.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  101.2 KB

Name:  03360DE3-D0AE-4848-A928-A1F056EA57E5_zpsfkh7dgrq.jpg
Size:  131.1 KB

Name:  07F79063-C864-4C0D-9E12-9FD73D694A1A_zpspqhggbze.jpg
Size:  92.2 KB

That is a one of a kind TD06H-25G turbo build with Kinugawa wheels, genuine MHI bearing, re-cast turbine housing, and contoured compressor housing (80mm inlet). No, this was not done for me. I oversaw the entire process and even did some of the measurements to make that housing perfect.

This is being made as we speak:

Name:  C145AEF0-0BA2-4F85-AFB6-CA4F76705BE5_zpsbpfhwavt.jpg
Size:  74.5 KB

That is the base for the massive inlet. I had to have a mandrel bent piece cut, and it is being welded on hopefully today. I will go over the piece with brazing and then anodize it.

Overall, I am really happy with the way that it all came out. The Kinugawa compressor housing was able to be cut on the lathe without any problems at all. I still don't know why people ***** about this brand. I have taken absolutely every Kinugawa component sent to me apart, and everything is on the level. I hope to be at or above 500 WHP on a stock block X with this turbo. I am also relieved to finally be done with this project. Making your own turbo can be done, but there is a STEEP learning curve.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 09:10 AM
Former Sponsor

(The gap that you see in the compressor housing beneath the wheel is due to the fact that I haven't attached the compressor side fully to the bearing. If you take the O-ring out, it is within Garrett spec for wheel clearance.)
Old Sep 1, 2014, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

final update
Ok so finally dyno'd the sucker with 93 octane and here are the results:

on a mustang dyno 482.5WHP@7483
Max torque 346.1tq @ 6946
The dyno bay was incredibly hot

i got video and pics. I'll let my tuner do the rest of the explaining.

I have a dilema brewing either keep the car, or get the new so called special edition one OR wait 1 year and get my GTR lol
Old Sep 2, 2014, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

GTR > Evo, but just be ready to pay GTR tax on everything.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FastAttack
final update
Ok so finally dyno'd the sucker with 93 octane and here are the results:

on a mustang dyno 482.5WHP@7483
Max torque 346.1tq @ 6946
The dyno bay was incredibly hot

i got video and pics. I'll let my tuner do the rest of the explaining.

I have a dilema brewing either keep the car, or get the new so called special edition one OR wait 1 year and get my GTR lol
Nice thread and thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by murlo26
GTR > Evo, but just be ready to pay GTR tax on everything.
thats the thing I don't feel like paying GTR tax lol
Old Sep 2, 2014, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

Video of the Dyno Run

Tuned by Daniel Perez from DMT tuning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kinugawa 25g turbo thread for Evo X