Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Symptoms of bad transmission mount/bushing?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Symptoms of bad transmission mount/bushing?

So today on my home from work I started to notice my X's seems more jumpy.

I will be at a complete stop and when I take off normally my car lunges slightly. (Like a car with a bad motor mount, that little jerk/lunge when you blip the throttle)

This happens when I blip the throttle to 1500 and let off the clutch. It lunges right when the clutch hits its engagement point.

I had a friend look at the side with the hood opened. I took off normally and he said that the motor moved from back to front about 1/4 of an inch. (Front bumper to rear bumper)

I am guessing its the top transmission mount and possibly the one in the back of the engine.

Any thoughts?

Update:

A few weeks after I noticed this, a bolt from the rear transmission sheared off from backing out and having the stress of my ****ty shifting

Last edited by Hotsauce101; May 14, 2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Hotsauce101
So today on my home from work I started to notice my X's seems more jumpy.

I will be at a complete stop and when I take off normally my car lunges slightly. (Like a car with a bad motor mount, that little jerk/lunge when you blip the throttle)

This happens when I blip the throttle to 1500 and let off the clutch. It lunges right when the clutch hits its engagement point.

I had a friend look at the side with the hood opened. I took off normally and he said that the motor moved from back to front about 1/4 of an inch. (Front bumper to rear bumper)

I am guessing its the top transmission mount and possibly the one in the back of the engine.

Any thoughts?
if its only moving a 1/4 inch then mounts are not your problem.

on stock mounts mine used to move up to a good 1/2 inch.

have you made any changes to the car lately?
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Actually figured out what is happening. I got really worried when I drove it and when I blip my throttle in 2nd/3rd gear at 30ish MPH it had a metal clanking noise.

Brought it to a shop and found out that my rear engine mount/ torque dampener is no longer connected to the transmission/transfer case. A bolt is missing on the mount that connects to the transmission/transfer case.

Just ordered a set of Boomba front and rear mounts. Hopefully the threading in the transmission isn't stripped.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually figured out what is happening. I got really worried when I drove it and when I blip my throttle in 2nd/3rd gear at 30ish MPH it had a metal clanking noise.

Brought it to a shop and found out that my rear engine mount/ torque dampener is no longer connected to the transmission/transfer case. A bolt is missing on the mount that connects to the transmission/transfer case.

Just ordered a set of Boomba front and rear mounts. Hopefully the threading in the transmission isn't stripped.
I'm actually having a pretty awful noise like that too, when I go off of an uneven driveway, say the right wheel comes off before the left, I get a horrible popping noise...now this could be related to my coilovers so I am still on the hunt
Old Aug 20, 2013, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Got the car at the shop right now.

Basically the top side bolt is missing and the bottom side completely sheared off the head of the bolt.

So the rear mount is no longer connected to the transmission.

Car is having the transmission removed and having boomba torque dampeners installed.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Were there work done to your car in the past, or is it completely stock?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EndlessRed
Were there work done to your car in the past, or is it completely stock?
I bought the car with modifications. (Cat back w/ HFC, ETS 3" FMIC w/ full ETS piping, AMS Intake, ACT 6 Puck)

I am guessing the top screw vibrated off and then when the top screw fell off the bottom one took all the strain.

Got the car back yesterday with both Boomba front and rear mounts put in.

Its vibrates like crazy below 1500 RPM. I plan on removing the front ones.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

I bought the car with modifications. (Cat back w/ HFC, ETS 3" FMIC w/ full ETS piping, AMS Intake, ACT 6 Puck)

I am guessing the top screw vibrated off and then when the top screw fell off the bottom one took all the strain.

Got the car back yesterday with both Boomba front and rear mounts put in.

Its vibrates like crazy below 1500 RPM. I plan on removing the front ones.
don't. you'll just make it worse. instead, you should have used OEM mounts in the beginning. those aftermarket solid mounts don't fare well in terms of comfort.