Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Hydrolock, Help !

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hydrolock, Help !

Hi all, this thread is actually not about a Mitsubishi, it happened to one of my buddy's Mercedes Benz ML 350. . . . Since I drive a ralliart and I've been around this forum for a long time, I know you guys are familiar with engines, thats why I post this thread here. Most importantly, I trust you guys more than any one !!!

So, to be straight , here's the situation.

Car went into a deep puddle 20 days ago. It stalled in the puddle, and pulled out by someone's help. Driver started the car right after being pulled out. Car started, idled roughly and died.

2 days later, driver started the car agian and it actually started, idled normally. And driver went wide open throttle.... Car died immediately.

Last week (after accident happened 15days later ), driver asked me to check the car.

Here's what I found.

Fuel Pump--(It actually pump the fuel, I can hear it), which means Fuel relay is fine too, I think....

Starter-- works great ,owner said the engine cranks like normal, no strange sound. ( I am assuming no water ,rust, or hydrolock demage)

Spark Plug--Looks great , didn't check for "spark emitting" (by the time I didn't know how to...)

Ignition coil--I don't know...( assuming OK, since water was not deep enough to submerge the ignition coil)

Water in the engine ? By the time, no. I pulled the spark plugs out and cranked it. No water at all !

So here comes my questions.
1. The car is hydrolocked and totally dried before I checked it. Is that possible?

2. What kind of engine demage is it? possibly...

Yesterday, he took the car to dealer ship and they said the engine was toasted ,there's no need to do inspection...The mechanic just took a look at the engine bay and said its all over. If he wanna do the inspection, it will cost him 144/hr and nobody knows how long its gonna take. ( The car has no insurance nor warranty coverage , Its his story, but .......)

Any advice?

Last edited by 1711902090; Sep 10, 2013 at 02:04 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow... So by the looks of how dirty an engine bay is, that dictates a bad motor? I fear for anybody who brings their car to that dealer. From the sound of it, it sounds like some sort of electrical issue. Does the car have any CEL on? Maybe a bad crank sensor, or it's losing spark or fuel.

I would not keep trying to run the car though in any event. I would pull the spark plugs and turn the engine over to see if you can get the water out. The engine's compression should be enough to force it out. Then change your oil and oil filter before running it again. If he wasn't driving to many RPMs, the engine might be ok if it truly did hydrolock - no guarantee though.

Good luck!
Old Sep 13, 2013, 09:32 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rule of thumb when suspiciouse of hydrolock.... pull the plugs amd turn the motor, you may save it if its not to late