Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Engine Noise in rear of engine near headers/turbo (not the injectors)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tapping Noise in rear of engine near turbo (not the injectors?)

See attached videos of the sound. I know that others have posted similar, however looking for your opinion on this as none were ever really resolved. I know the injector noise, but this is at the rear of the engine under the heat shield, near the turbo. I believe I located where the "pinging" is coming from (see image), however something needs to be causing it.

I am hoping that this is not the tappets. The noise was not there when I first had the exhaust put on, it has however developed since.

I have had my car for 3-1/2 years and only put around 8500 miles on it since it is a second car. Currently, the car only has a catted turbo back exhust and a Cobb OTS Stage 2 tune. Since my warranty is just about expired, I figure that I am ready to push her a little more with some more go fast bits and a pro-tune. I have changed my oil about 5 times during this period. That is about it in terms of maintenance. Does not matter if I put the off the shelf tune or not. Same noise.

Edit 1: One thing I forgot to mention. It only makes this noise when the engine is warmed up. Sometimes it doesn't make the noise at all.
Edit 2: See new video in post below with "scope"

Thanks for looking

Last edited by EEVOH; Sep 24, 2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Title Change
Old Sep 20, 2013, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown head gasket is what it sounds like to me. What really sealed the deal is when you said the noise stops when you put pressure on those two points. Chances are that's where its bad.

But like I said, Evos and Imports are new to me, so it could be something completely different. I come from the American Muscle generation. But to me, that's a blown head gasket.

Last edited by Stonewall; Sep 20, 2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OK I vote for: Midget playing the spoons.

You got to keep it simple... if all you have done is replace the exhaust-- it sounds to me like a gasket leak..
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Can you replicate the noise with the engine off if you wiggle the heatshield between the exhaust manifold and the head/valve cover?
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Stonewall
Blown head gasket is what it sounds like to me. What really sealed the deal is when you said the noise stops when you put pressure on those two points. Chances are that's where its bad.

But like I said, Evos and Imports are new to me, so it could be something completely different. I come from the American Muscle generation. But to me, that's a blown head gasket.
I doubt its the HG. I am not showing any other signs of this. No oil burn, smoking, coolant in the oils, temps are perfect, etc... Plus the car only has 8500 miles on it. Yes it sits, but I run it a couple times a week and have changed the oil 5 - 6 times in that span. I just changed the oil again the other day and all looks good in that department. I did go almost a year between changes the last time around since I put less than 1000 miles in that span.

The tapping noise doesn't completely go away, just the "pinging" noise that comes with it quiets down when I push those areas upwards towards the valve cover.

Originally Posted by meckert
OK I vote for: Midget playing the spoons.

You got to keep it simple... if all you have done is replace the exhaust-- it sounds to me like a gasket leak..
I assume you are referring to the exhaust gasket? If so, this could be possible. I was thinking this as well. When I had the exhaust put on, I purchased a new donut gasket and they reused the old one.. The shop told me it was fine.

Originally Posted by Kracka
Can you replicate the noise with the engine off if you wiggle the heatshield between the exhaust manifold and the head/valve cover?
I will have to check tomorrow. I have tried to replicate it with the engine off and have not been able to. I may remove the heat shield cover over the headers and see what happens. I scoped all over the engine (listening through the blunt end of a screw driver) and am unable to replicate the consistent tapping sound anywhere internally. The most noise that I get is from the tab in the picture. Everything sounds "normal" from what I can tell. I mostly hear those loud-*** injectors.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

I also forgot to mention that it only makes this noise when the engine is warmed up. There have been a couple of occasions when the noise is not there at all.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Okay so I played around a bit more and was able to "Scope" that tab (see pic above) with a screw driver and put it against my mic on my phone. This is what I hear... Is this normal?

Old Sep 24, 2013, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Anyone

I read all similar threads and some had the same noises. I also watched a bunch of youtube vids. Some had this exact sound (same rhythm, etc..) and others didn't.

The car needs to be warm (around 5 to 10 minutes) for the sound that is audible to the ears. The sound that is scoped is there the entire time. I'm sure it may be normal since I am listening directly into the head. Other than that the car runs and boosts great, no leaks, no abnormal smoking, and all logs on the Cobb AP appear to be normal (no abnormal knocking, etc..).

Maybe I'm just being paranoid? I am about to throw a ton of money into the car and want to make sure all issues are gone before the remaining warranty is toast
Old Oct 1, 2013, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

I am apparently only talking to myself in this thread... Anyway, I am having the HFC & DP removed today and taking the car to the dealership to get checked. I will keep those who are actually following up to date since this noise appears to be common.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Update: I just got back from the dealership. They had two technicians, including the senior tech look at the car with me. They put it on a lift, etc and tried their best to explain most of the "normal" noises to me. Including this tapping sound, which they claim is normal.

They indicated that most GSR's have this sound and that MR's tend not too for some reason. He didn't have an exact reason but said some are louder than others. Its not valve lash or tappets as that would be more consistent in the rhythm, but indicate at one point that it may just be normal timing chain sound from "normal slack" in the chain... Other than that, the car was said to be in top shape, which gives me some peace of mind.

It's all been documented and I have a call into Mitsubishi Corporate and will document this visit with them, just so that they are aware.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:31 AM

wow, its normal? Im gunna go check that **** out on mine and see how ****ing *normal* it is
Old Oct 7, 2013, 11:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hexaggram
wow, its normal? Im gunna go check that **** out on mine and see how ****ing *normal* it is
I'd appreciate it if you can let me know. Especially if you can scope that area.

That's unfortunately what they said... normal.. I hear the noise on several other X's while looking at youtube or other vids posted on this and other forums. You can clearly make it out beyond the injector noises. I just wish I had a more clear answer. Mitsu corporate recommended bringing it to another dealership, but did say that I have it documented in case anything happens. Not many choices, so I am just going to take their word...

Someone on another forum indicated that it may be a cracked exhaust manifold. I doubt that though since it only does it while the car is warm (around 5 to 10 mins) and there is no smoke or fumes around the manifold area and the car holds boost really well. I'm going to check it anyway and have my exhaust shop check it before they throw the exhaust back on. Then goes my intake, pipes, 3-port, protune... and remaining warranty
Old Oct 7, 2013, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by EEVOH
That's unfortunately what they said... normal..

Just a heads up, I've delt with a lot with dealerships, and I've got a few shade-tree mechanics in the family. When a mechanic tells you "Oh that's just normal." It's mechanic talk for "I have no idea what the hell is wrong." Also, 90% of mechanics these days are not mechanics, they're glorified computer technicians in overhauls.

Just like my Lancer ES won't shift. I can redline the car and almost blow it up, car will never shift. If you get on an on-ramp for an interstate or a flat stretch, you can literally just sit there and watch the RPMs redline and picture your motor killing itself. It's an automatic, and I have to let off the gas, let the car shift, then get back on the gas. And now it's even starting to slip. I've taken it to our local dealership TWICE (who has since stopped selling Mitsubishi's, and sold their rights for everything to another dealership down the road) and twice they have told me "Oh that's normal." Come to find out, they just didn't walk to work on Mitsubishi's anymore because less than 60 days later I got a letter in the mail saying "Thank you for purchasing your Lancer at our place, blah blah blah, but we regret to inform you we will no longer service Mitsubishis."

It's mechanic talk for "I don't know what the hell is wrong, and I'm not going to do "my job" tear down the motor, and do whatever I have to do to get to the bottom of it, and fix the car that you paid so much money for."

It's sad, but it's the truth.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

˄ I agree but to be honest these guys were pretty knowledgeable. They spent almost 20 minutes with me explaining everything.

On another note, I removed the heat shield and no leaks or cracks in the exhaust manifold.. at least on the top end.

I think possibly my paranoia may have got the best of me. The sound is still there as you can still hear the rhythm beyond the injector sound.. but its a lot quieter and tolerable.

Old Oct 12, 2013, 09:08 AM

I have that noise too. Noticed it when I was trying to track down my knock issue. Can't quite figure it out either and I worry that it is tripping my knock sensor at certain RPMs. I do have upgraded turbo/DP so that area has been worked around.

Posted from Evolutionm.net App for Android