Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Question regarding 1k oil change but not filter

Old Jan 12, 2014, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Question regarding 1k oil change but not filter

Yesterday, I was doing my first oil change on my EVO with 1.2k miles on the odometer and the oil filter wrench cap is a bit smaller than I expected, so it wouldn't fit the oem oil filter. I just couldn't remove it with glove or hand. And I didn't wanna try to screw driver method cuz I was afraid to **** it up.

what made it worse is that I pulled the drain plug before I was trying to remove the filter. So I had to do this oil change without changing the filter.

I did some search, didn't find any helpful info.

The car only have 1.2 k. Do you guys think the filter will be fine until 2.5-2.7k? By then, I will be doing another oil change for sure.
The car is my daily driver.
I know the first oil is due at 3k according to the menu. So maybe the filter is still able to do its job?
Just wanted to know if I can get away without the filter for only this time...
I will make sure I have the right tools before I do anything next time.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a rubber band and put it on the filter and with your bare hands loosen it with all you got.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could be way off but I do believe most oil filters are rated for around a 6,000 if not 9,000 mile rating. Most people feel comfortable with the "normal" 3k oil and filter change. So my question to you is why are you even changing the oil as often as you are?

Also I know I just saw a thread about a brave guy who didn't change his oil till 9,000 miles using amsoil and after he got the results back from the lab it was still showing damn good protection.

Granted I'm by no means saying push it that far but doing it as soon as you are (unless it's a drag car) you are just wasting your money.

As for your problem I do believe they sell like an adjustable wrench claw looking thing.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=265115_0_0_

Just be careful using this tool as it is easy to end up crushing the filter.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LAN_EVO
I could be way off but I do believe most oil filters are rated for around a 6,000 if not 9,000 mile rating. Most people feel comfortable with the "normal" 3k oil and filter change. So my question to you is why are you even changing the oil as often as you are?

Also I know I just saw a thread about a brave guy who didn't change his oil till 9,000 miles using amsoil and after he got the results back from the lab it was still showing damn good protection.

Granted I'm by no means saying push it that far but doing it as soon as you are (unless it's a drag car) you are just wasting your money.

As for your problem I do believe they sell like an adjustable wrench claw looking thing.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=265115_0_0_

Just be careful using this tool as it is easy to end up crushing the filter.
Thanx for the reply, LAN_EVO.
I had the car for almost 2 month and I didn't know how long the car had been sitting at dealer ship before I picked it up.
So I figured that it wouldn't hurt to change it now.
Also, I heard many people get rid of the oil pump noise by getting oil changed, so that was why I decided to change oil early.
But what you said is a relief.
, I will get the correct tool next time.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 06:22 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your fine with the same filter.
You mentioned the car is brand new, so the only caution I would state is the the motor has a lot of metal particles floating around from the break in. So the filters normally get clogged up faster at this stage.