Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

2014 Evo - Clutch slipping in 2 months?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2014, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Evo - Clutch slipping in 2 months?

I recently bought a 2014 Evo GSR and last night I noticed my clutch started to slip about 600 rpms. Now this is my first manual car and I've only owned it for 2 months. Granted I have "learned" how to launch the car on it so there were times where I smelled burned clutch pretty bad.

My question is: Is it that easy for stock clutches to go? If I have to replace it for something, my buddy who used to have an evo recommended a stage 3 clutch to put in there.

Any advice or expertise would help.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you may have gotten lucky and just glazed the clutch, just drive normal for a bit
Old Jun 20, 2014, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
you may have gotten lucky and just glazed the clutch, just drive normal for a bit
What is the difference between the clutch going and glazing it? Will this kinda go away if I drive normal?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Being your first manual transmission and you are trying to launch it seems to me to be a $$$$$$ mistake. Learn how to drive it normally THEN start to try to launch. But I am posting this after the fact. If I were you I would buy the cheapest clutch and learn how to drive it. Not trying to insult you but it is what it is. My first clutch I also burned also trying to learn how but this was in 1979 with a 1973 AMC Gremlin the clutch replacement was not that much compared to the EVO.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

My question is, how do you know it's slipping, if you have been driving a manual for only 2 months? Did you mean 6000rpm or really 600rpm? I assume 6000. What symptoms are you really experiencing?

Clutch slipping:

Usually starts in higher gears then after short while in lower gears too. You apply the throttle, the rpms race up and the engine roars, but you are not speeding up. It's like the clutch is pressed, but it is not. Then it catches and the car goes. Is that what you are experiencing?

I bought my 2008 GSR new, now 40k on it with 400whp. I'm on stock clutch with no slipping. I have been driving manual for 16 years, but I also have never launched my car either. Just not necessary unless at the track.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2011 and I'm still on a stock clutch with an MAP EF4 and 43,xxx miles on the clock making just a bit over 400hp. The car was tuned on stock turbo within 2 months of ownership and made 360hp (360tq) till the EF4 install several months ago, so no the stock clutch doesn't go out easy. Mine has a few launches on it over the years but basically a daily driver/spiritedly driven car and many pulls on it for tuning and testing.

Learning to drive a stick and also launching it while such a new manual driver is just not a good idea. Hopefully you glazed the clutch but with launches this is pretty unlikely.

A lot of people swear by the Comp Stage 3/4 clutches. I've personally always been a fan of multi-plate clutches and had several on my Evo 8 which needed that kind of holding capacity. Someone like you I'd recommend a cheaper single plate clutch with a sprung disk since you are new to driving a clutch. Do not get an unsprung disk clutch it will be more difficult for you to drive due to harsh engagement. You're probably better off with a Comp Stage 2 style clutch honestly, little more holding capacity than stock and still an organic clutch with a smooth engagement.

Link for reference:

http://www.maperformance.com/competi...5153-2100.html
Old Jun 23, 2014, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by chriswolf81
My question is, how do you know it's slipping, if you have been driving a manual for only 2 months? Did you mean 6000rpm or really 600rpm? I assume 6000. What symptoms are you really experiencing?

Clutch slipping:

Usually starts in higher gears then after short while in lower gears too. You apply the throttle, the rpms race up and the engine roars, but you are not speeding up. It's like the clutch is pressed, but it is not. Then it catches and the car goes. Is that what you are experiencing?

I bought my 2008 GSR new, now 40k on it with 400whp. I'm on stock clutch with no slipping. I have been driving manual for 16 years, but I also have never launched my car either. Just not necessary unless at the track.

I know what slipping means and how it feels and I also had a buddy drive it. and no i mean 600 not 6000 rpms. Ill step on the gas and the car will rev up without going faster until it comes back down.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by SassyCorey
I know what slipping means and how it feels and I also had a buddy drive it. and no i mean 600 not 6000 rpms. Ill step on the gas and the car will rev up without going faster until it comes back down.
I guess the point is that no, your stock clutch is not that fragile, especially at stock power levels. If you fried it already, buy something cheap, so you don't waste your money on something fancy that may end up in the same situation a few months down the road.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm not sure what could be causing it to slip at 600rpms, at that point in the rev range there is no boost and the engine is making very very little power and I can't imagine what is causing it to slip.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

How do you drive at 600 rpm?

My car idles higher than that lol. You should not even go full throttle at rpms below 2000. Poor evo.

Good advice above, get a reasonably priced single disc clutch. But unless you want history to repeat itself, I suggest looking into improving your driving technique. IMHO these Awd turbo 4 cyl are much harder to drive than an 8 cyl rwd manual car. Not the best car to learn on and the clutch job labor is 500-800. You should learn the engagement point on your clutch where you can move the car in first without throttle. Blip the throttle on downshifts, ...
I learned to drive better on this car and had multiple manual sportscars before. These cars are not stomp the gas and dump the clutch kinda cars.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 05:19 AM

No im sorry guys I guess I should be more clear. at 3200 rpms it slips from 3200 to 3800 so 600 rpms total. My bad I did a bad job
explaining that haha.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by SassyCorey
No im sorry guys I guess I should be more clear. at 3200 rpms it slips from 3200 to 3800 so 600 rpms total. My bad I did a bad job
explaining that haha.
lmao, dude that's a huge difference than slipping at 600rpms lol.
And to help you out, this was my first "actual" manual car as well. I learned the basic of driving stick on my buddy's Hyundai elantra (which is an incredibly easy car to drive) and then I went out an bought the evo which is tougher to drive.

Your clutch shouldn't be slipping already and like stated before, it's most likely driver's error-no offense. A clutch should last almost as long as the engine life if you're stock and if you're driving correctly.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If you can't work the stocker, don't even Think about a stage-3 clutch! Usually it's a lighten fly-wheel/heavier pressure plate and it's not for a "sassy" kind of driver. :}
Old Jul 6, 2014, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
If you can't work the stocker, don't even Think about a stage-3 clutch! Usually it's a lighten fly-wheel/heavier pressure plate and it's not for a "sassy" kind of driver. :}
Old Jul 7, 2014, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon

Quick Reply: 2014 Evo - Clutch slipping in 2 months?