Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transfer Case Leak?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Transfer Case Leak?

While I was changing my oil the other week I saw some fluids on what I believe is my transfer case. It was a bit wet to the touch. The car is a 2010 GSR and has all original trans fluids. Car has only 9500 miles so dealer kept saying not to worry about changing it every time I asked. I plan on getting it changed at 10,000 miles and before the power train warranty is up and the remaining mods go on.

Only real mod right now is a full exhaust and a Cobb AP with Stage 2 tune. Never raced, launched or tracked. When I first got the car I had the dealer check for overfill but they said not to worry

Before I panic and pull the exhaust and bring the car to the dealer, I was wondering if there should be any large concern with this? Thanks in advance.

PS - I did have a very slight engine oil overfill (about 1/8") over the high marker and the outside of the oil filter was a bit wet. Drove about 1000 miles like that before I realized. I can post a pic of that if needed.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recommend you to get it fix and don't listen the dealership. and that is a car with almost 10,000 and doing that. not normal and yes it looks the transfer case.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by oscarquinones
I recommend you to get it fix and don't listen the dealership. and that is a car with almost 10,000 and doing that. not normal and yes it looks the transfer case.
I definitely plan to get it fixed if its problematic. Especially if its the seal failure that I have been reading about here. My powertrain warranty is good until February, so I should be good.

I just have crazy OCD and many times I bring the car to the dealer for nothing and all they say is nothing wrong. Of course I get it in writing. It was a couple years ago when I saw a smaller amount of fluid down there and they said completely normal and not overfilled. Not even sure if they checked to be honest. They have not seen the car since last year when I had them flush the coolant. Not sure if it was this bad back then.

I guess I have to pull the exhaust again

More opinions would be appreciated
Old Aug 11, 2014, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Just an update. Car went to dealer and apparently just a leak at the vent of the tcase. I guess it was over filled a bit after all, although they would not admit to that. Otherwise all was well. Again they told me not to waste my money on a fluid change.... Any thoughts? Purchased in Feb of 2010 and have around 9700 miles?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 03:17 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by EEVOH
Just an update. Car went to dealer and apparently just a leak at the vent of the tcase. I guess it was over filled a bit after all, although they would not admit to that. Otherwise all was well. Again they told me not to waste my money on a fluid change.... Any thoughts? Purchased in Feb of 2010 and have around 9700 miles?
are they saying it was overfilled from the factory? There's no way. Sounds like it was just refilled recently. And no, it doesn't need done at 10k. Check your manual, there is a "regular" interval and a "heavy use" interval service schedule.

Curiously-original clutch? There's an o-ring that gets torn during clutch swaps that looks like a t-case leak but isn't. Could be that. I guess you'll know if the leak stops.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ikt
are they saying it was overfilled from the factory? There's no way. Sounds like it was just refilled recently. And no, it doesn't need done at 10k. Check your manual, there is a "regular" interval and a "heavy use" interval service schedule.

Curiously-original clutch? There's an o-ring that gets torn during clutch swaps that looks like a t-case leak but isn't. Could be that. I guess you'll know if the leak stops.
All original fluids on the car with the exception of coolant and oil (obviously ). 2010's were known for factory overfill on the TC. I asked them to check it a couple of years back while in for a free oil change and they said no worries.

I figured that the 4-1/2 year time frame justified a replacement of fluids but they look at me like I am crazy every time I ask due to the low mileage. I will hold off and have it done another time.

The clutch is original. I had the CMC recall done a few weeks back if that matters.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This also happened to me. 2010 GSR at 29,000 Km I started to see some oil on my car port. Drove it to the dealership and ask them to have a look. They were very nice to me and said they will take care of it. They gave me a loaner (a Subaru - they're also a Subaru dealer ) . Next day they said they're still investigating so I told them Im in a mitsu forum and have read it being overfilled from the factory. Following day they said yes I was right and told me they ordered a new TC and in 2 days I have my car back good as new.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FlipYellowRA
This also happened to me. 2010 GSR at 29,000 Km I started to see some oil on my car port. Drove it to the dealership and ask them to have a look. They were very nice to me and said they will take care of it. They gave me a loaner (a Subaru - they're also a Subaru dealer ) . Next day they said they're still investigating so I told them Im in a mitsu forum and have read it being overfilled from the factory. Following day they said yes I was right and told me they ordered a new TC and in 2 days I have my car back good as new.
How bad was your oil leak? My oil never made it any further then what you see in the pics. Hopefully I lucked out and caught it before it got any worse. So far, so good. I recently changed my tires, with a professional balance and four wheel alignment and all of my driveline noises have went away as well
Old Aug 26, 2014, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EEVOH
How bad was your oil leak? My oil never made it any further then what you see in the pics. Hopefully I lucked out and caught it before it got any worse. So far, so good. I recently changed my tires, with a professional balance and four wheel alignment and all of my driveline noises have went away as well

It was just a little drip but Im paranoid about any leaks under my car. This is my first awd car plus Ive read a lot of Transfer case being overfilled so I didnt bother waiting and run straight for warranty repair. I remember seeing a roughly 5 inch diameter oil stain under my car but there was more on the underside plastic cover. For what we pay for the car and especially how much we pay here in Canada, Being told not to worry is just not acceptable. Of course we are worried , its too expensive to get it fixed! Its their duty to take a good look at it to prevent more damage. When I was told how much it cost to replace my TC i almost had a heart attack (everything was covered by warranty). My opinion on this is to have your car looked at and have them fix it before they blame it on you and not warranty it because you took too long to get it fixed. Sometimes they can just replace the outside seal. I do have to say my car had an injen intake, ultimate racing catback and stock tune but even so, the car was overfilled from the factory which is clearly not our fault.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FlipYellowRA
It was just a little drip but Im paranoid about any leaks under my car. This is my first awd car plus Ive read a lot of Transfer case being overfilled so I didnt bother waiting and run straight for warranty repair. I remember seeing a roughly 5 inch diameter oil stain under my car but there was more on the underside plastic cover. For what we pay for the car and especially how much we pay here in Canada, Being told not to worry is just not acceptable. Of course we are worried , its too expensive to get it fixed! Its their duty to take a good look at it to prevent more damage. When I was told how much it cost to replace my TC i almost had a heart attack (everything was covered by warranty). My opinion on this is to have your car looked at and have them fix it before they blame it on you and not warranty it because you took too long to get it fixed. Sometimes they can just replace the outside seal. I do have to say my car had an injen intake, ultimate racing catback and stock tune but even so, the car was overfilled from the factory which is clearly not our fault.
Thanks for the response. Since they cleaned the area there have been no further leaks or staining. At least in the last few hundred miles that I put on the car. There are also no noises whatsoever coming from the T-Case area. The noises that I though were there were resolved with new tires, a balance and alignment.

The car has just less than 10,000 miles on it and my warranty is out soon and my mods will all be going back on my car this week so hopefully it was nothing as they said. It is all documented. I plan on getting a third party warranty. I have a credit union who offers one rather inexpensive though "Route 66". Figure it will be worth it... just in case...
Old Sep 23, 2014, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Just a quick update for anyone that cares or has been following transfer case issues. I once again found some "red" colored fluid near the breather valve on the transfer case the other week when I had the car on a lift getting new tires. I have photos available if anyone is interested to see what the leak looked like on the cleaned up transfer case.

Took it into the dealer, which at first they did not notice the leak. I went ahead and pointed it out and explained and the technician took a closer look. He then snapped some photos and said that it may be the o-ring. They submitted to Mitsubishi and I got approved for a new transfer case today! Very relieved, especially since my power train warranty expires in February and I have many plans for the car afterwards.

They never admitted to an overfill, but I am sure that most of the overfill was sitting on the rear cross member the first time that I brought it in.

This is a near stock 2010 Evo X with only 10,000 miles.

Edit: Took the car to the dealership on Saturday for work on Monday, took them only one day to replace the transfer case. Picked it up that day. So far, so good! Would have been a $5,000+ replacement otherwise. Glad I was able to get this taken care of before the warranty ran out!

Last edited by EEVOH; Sep 30, 2014 at 01:16 PM.