Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Radiator Or intercooler

Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radiator Or intercooler

So pretty much I was wondering which would make my evo x faster? A new radiator or intercooler. Thanks
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:50 AM

These are more about making the evo run harder. Out of the two.. i would go with a inter cooler. You will notice that even without a tune... you will feel the car just go stronger for a longer amount of time.

You can get your radiator upgrade once you go to a bigger turbo or when you really need it.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:18 AM

A more efficient intercooler will give you gains. Simplified, The more air you can pump through your motor the more power you have. This is achieved by an intercooler in two ways. One, less restrictive end tank and core design. This allows more air to flow through the intercooler. It's a double edge blade though. The purpose of an intercooler is to cool the air being pumped into your motor. If the air is passing though the intercooler with no restriction there is no time for heat transfer to occur. Warmer air is less dense which gives you less volume. Cooler air, more volume (this is the second way a intercooler can help). You want a balance between the two. There are several intercooler designs which, depending on your use, I could recommend one but that is a separate discussion. The radiator, unless your cooling system is at capacity, will net zero gains. In fact there's a possibility (although unlikely as there's control mechanisms for this) it will keep you from reaching optimal operating temperature and you will see negative effects. Hope this helps, I tried to keep it simple so feel free to post more questions if you want more information.

Last edited by CZ4A4B11; Sep 15, 2014 at 11:29 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 06:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intercooler. The stock evo cooling system is already pretty robust. A radiator will give you absolutely no more power. Only let you drive the car harder longer if the stock radiator cant keep up, which isn't usually the case for a street evo.