Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Where does the oil go???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where does the oil go???

So first off I am new to the Evo world. I did an oil change with Royal Purple 5w-30. I have never run it before in any of my other vehicles but it seems to be popular choice so I figured I would give it a try. After about 2000 miles I had to add 3/4 of a quart. Is this normal for the 4B11 or Royal Purple?

I normally run Lubro-Moly 5w-40 in my other vehicles and do not have a problem.

Very light mods. But has 100k on the clock. No check engine lights, rough/irregular idle, and no smoke. Maybe loss of oil due to mileage?

I will be giving the Lubro a shot next oil change to see if there is a difference but thought I would ask on here and get some other opinions.

Thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 09:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Thats not bad for oil consumption. My car is a full quarts every 1500-2000 miles depending on how I drive it.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
hmm yea I always had that problem with royal purple. I used to run in my S2K seemed to burn off pretty quick I guess. I haven't run it in the evo because royal purple is really synthetic and I like to run synthetic in the evo. Plus I think royal purple was just a waste of money.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 01:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
I wouldn't use Royal Purple.. they tend to run thin. they're more for the make max power and rebuild the engine every year or so crowd than the I don't like to rebuild my engine crowd.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Thats not bad for oil consumption. My car is a full quarts every 1500-2000 miles depending on how I drive it.
Phew! I was a little worried.

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
hmm yea I always had that problem with royal purple. I used to run in my S2K seemed to burn off pretty quick I guess. I haven't run it in the evo because royal purple is really synthetic and I like to run synthetic in the evo. Plus I think royal purple was just a waste of money.
Glad this sounds like a Royal Purple issue.

Originally Posted by warmmilk
I wouldn't use Royal Purple.. they tend to run thin. they're more for the make max power and rebuild the engine every year or so crowd than the I don't like to rebuild my engine crowd.
Im not into rebuilding all the time either.

Guess I will just use the trusty LubroMoly 5w-40. Has always treated me well.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
royal purple = waste of money. I use rotella T6. Cheap as ***** and full synthetic. Even without changing my oil with 3k dd miles and 4 trackdays, i'm still full of oil and not an ounce burned off.

Stock turbo at 300 whp
Old Jul 30, 2015, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Any engine will consume oil, you just have to monitor it to make sure there is not an excessive oil consumption but 3/4 in 2000 is not bad. Catch cans can be installed to trap oil through the PCV system... Just to chime in on oil, I use Mobil 1 Full synthetic with no issues
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rotella T6 (pick up at Walmart)
Royal Purple synthetic filter (amazon)

Best combo IMO based on oil analysis.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:35 AM

Where does the oil go???

I keep seeing a lot of guys running T6. I'm curious if it is because of the cost or if it is really that good? I get some people will go with cost and it works. But I'm not worried about cost. Just want great oil. so far not impressed with Royal Purple though.

I drive the Evo only on the weekends and after I get the exhaust finished and another tune, I will be doing some autocross.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I think the Rotella is popular because of the Zinc content which is supposed to be good for the turbo bearings. But its bad for the cat and causes a bit more pollution which is why they dont advertise it as main stream oil for all cars. If my info is a bit ascew sry its been awhile since i did reading on all the different oils lol.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've run T6 for years. But I also don't run a cat.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 05:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The best oils for turbocharged cars will also destroy Cats. (i don't run a cat)

I use rotella t6 becase:

1) It's Cheap
2) have i mentioned i'm a cheap mexican?
3) Its got a decent profile of zinc and other metals that turbo bearings seem to like. Not the best, but good enough. Any more metals and you risk ruining cats in short order.
4) It has no friction modifiers or things typically found in car oil. The oil is designed for Diesel engines and contains little to no additives. I'm not 100%, but i don't think friction modifiers, though awesome for DD cars, benefit track cars. I have a suspicion that they lead to early breakdown of the oil's viscosity when pushed hard.
5) Again with being cheap. I can fund 2 oil changes for the price of 1 jug of Mobil 1 synthetic.

I use the fram filters because i like the grippy gimmick they use on their filters. Makes it easier to take on and off. Though there are technically better filters out there, i've seen no tangible difference in oil quality or cleanliness to justify spending 3-5x on a higher quality filter. I've got plenty of track events on my evo running this oil combo and it just seems to work.

The less money i spend on bull****, the more money i have to throw at trackdays.

If money is no Issue, Kozmic Motorsports reccomends Mobil 1 5w40 Turbo Diesel Truck and Amsoil 5w40 European.

Check out this link for all service reccomendations. The only thing i don't stick to on this sheet is my rotella t6, and i use mitsu factory fluids instead of what he reccomends for t-case, diff, and AYC. Sure, what he recommends would be better, but i have a hard time finding those oils and the stealership likes me and hooks me up on fluids.

http://kozmicmotorsports.com/img_upl...MENDATIONS.pdf
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by obake214
Any engine will consume oil, you just have to monitor it to make sure there is not an excessive oil consumption but 3/4 in 2000 is not bad. Catch cans can be installed to trap oil through the PCV system... Just to chime in on oil, I use Mobil 1 Full synthetic with no issues
thats not true, my evo (had it up 43k, next owner just sold it at 60k last week) never ate a drop of oil.. and I had a catch can on it too... only car I ever had that didn't eat any oil, also the only turbo car I've owned. I used Castrol Edge 5W-30 in it, not sure what the next owner used.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 02:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rotella T6 is for diesel engines, I would not use that. There is a reason it is designed for diesel and not gasoline. The higher content of zinc is not good for the catalytic converters in gasoline cars. Diesel engine oil has a higher viscosity, you will have excessive heat generation from internal fluid friction and on cold starts the oil will be thick and harder for the oil pump to circulate it. Diesel oil has more additives per volume than oil for gasoline engines. The additive will try and clean the cylinder walls and will have a negative effect on the seal between the rings and the liner. This results in lost compression and efficiency. Now time for all the, I have been running T6 for 100,000k miles with no issue comments
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:55 PM

Where does the oil go???

I don't think I will use T6. Im going to go back to the LubroMoly. I get it at cost and it has always been good for my other vehicles. I was curious about the T6 because it is pretty cheap and is readily available. Oil filters are the only thing I can't get easily. I will have to order them online. I might look into the oil analysis on both the Royal Purple and the LubroMoly and see how each compare in my engine.

Quick Reply: Where does the oil go???