Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo X start up noise

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2015, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X start up noise

My car is making this noise during cold start up, but it goes away when the car is running. Can anybody please help me diagnose the problem and help me fix it? All input will be appciated. Thanks in advance everyone

Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
sounds like some type of bearing. Or maybe the starter is sticking. Its more noticeable in the second time you had ur friend start the car though
Old Oct 27, 2015, 03:15 PM

The video is not mine, i did my research and found this clip. My car makes the exact same noise but only on cold start? Couldn't find answer anywhere! Anybody having the same issue?
Old Oct 28, 2015, 03:11 AM

bump
Old Oct 28, 2015, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

What part of the engine is the sound coming from? Get a stethoscope and pin point where the sound is coming from. Could be lots of things, starter, timing chain rattle, heat shield rattle.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 07:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Starter is not disengaging properly. Mine does it when I gets colder out. When it's warmer out no issues. Been like that since I bought mitsu by me tried to tell me it was normal. So they would not replace it . Little did they know I was a master certified tech. I am just to lazy to change it out.my car is an 08 evo and did it the first time I started it after sitting over night .
Old Nov 13, 2015, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by sonicrx
Starter is not disengaging properly. Mine does it when I gets colder out. When it's warmer out no issues. Been like that since I bought mitsu by me tried to tell me it was normal. So they would not replace it . Little did they know I was a master certified tech. I am just to lazy to change it out.my car is an 08 evo and did it the first time I started it after sitting over night .
did you ever fix the problem? do you thing replacing the starter motor can resolve the noise? kind of paranoid about it lol.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by kevzxvii
did you ever fix the problem? do you thing replacing the starter motor can resolve the noise? kind of paranoid about it lol.
Did you ever get this issue resolved? Mine just started doing this too. After the car is warm though, it goes away when I shut it off and restart.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by cgem98
Did you ever get this issue resolved? Mine just started doing this too. After the car is warm though, it goes away when I shut it off and restart.
Not sure of the outcome of it, but it definitely sounds like its the starter not disengaging correctly. If you can, pick up a cheap mechanics stethoscope from harbor freight or Amazon. Put it on the starter and have someone crank it. If its the starter you'll know.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Whats the story on clutch?

Could be a disk issue....
Old Apr 20, 2022, 09:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kevzxvii
my car was going into storage . Starter is coming Getting the car out of storage at the end of April so I’ll post an update .
Old Sep 28, 2023, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by sonicrx
my car was going into storage . Starter is coming Getting the car out of storage at the end of April so I’ll post an update .
Any Update?