Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Thoughts on MAP cast manifold

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like I stated, I have definitely seen my share of cracked tubular manifolds in my time. I've worked with the guys with full race before they even were full race.

Most companies have a warranty against cracking, but be careful, some will void that warranty if you ceramic coat the manifold. Just a heads up. Have a good one. Good luck with your shopping.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Does the tubular make the car sound raspy? I'm worried I wouldn't like the sound
Old Oct 25, 2016, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Cloud0307
Does the tubular make the car sound raspy? I'm worried I wouldn't like the sound

I can't speak to the stock frame tubular manifolds specifically, but my CBRD tubular manifold on the 7163 doesn't sound raspy at all.
The following users liked this post:
Cloud0307 (Oct 25, 2016)
Old Oct 25, 2016, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shekaar
I can't speak to the stock frame tubular manifolds specifically, but my CBRD tubular manifold on the 7163 doesn't sound raspy at all.
Thanks for the feedback. Think I'm going to go with the Full Race. I just love the way our car's sound. Wouldn't want to lose that.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 05:44 PM

If you like the way the Evo sounds, then get the MAP.

Tubular and more equal length will make the car sound higher pitched.

I hate the way the Evo sounds, so I've looked well into what's needed to change the sound. The MAP is what you want.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FaceMe
If you like the way the Evo sounds, then get the MAP.

Tubular and more equal length will make the car sound higher pitched.

I hate the way the Evo sounds, so I've looked well into what's needed to change the sound. The MAP is what you want.
FaceMe, you hate the way the car sounds? What kind of exhaust do you have? I have the ETS quiet and it sounds so deep, love it.

What about the MAP will change the note to make you like it better?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 01:59 PM

No, I'm saying the MAP will suit YOU better, because it retains the stock engine exhaust note. Especially considering you like the ETS quiet. I have a Driven Fab single, and I'm a fan of ETS Extreme or Tomei, so opposite.

I don't like the deep flat sound the Evo makes stock. Infact most turbo 4 from factory all sound the same; a flat deep highly muffled tone that doesn't scream. Anything, 4B11, 4G63, 3SGTE, SR20, 1.8T, BPT, Hyundai Genesis (which is an evo motor LOL)anything, even a Honda with a log turbo manifold.

And the "engine exhaust note" tone is separate from the exhaust. My exhaust system sounds good, but my engine doesn't, if that makes sense. Your engine exhaust note is affected by many variables, engine size, compression ratio, cams, flow, overall CFM, manifolds, turbo, WG, ect. Your exhaust is just the actual turbo back (DP/Cat or TP/Catback). That's 2 different things.

You can change it at the engine side, or the exhaust side, or both. An ETS Extreme is going to be loud on any Evo, but the one on tubulars and big turbo is going to scream and be higher pitched. Whereas the one on stock log, or MAP is just simply going to be loud.

A tubular will get more of that 'raspy' sound. Which is what I like. I've actually ordered a MAP tubular V band kit with a 6266 and EWG and looking for big cams to get rid of that Evo sound, I want mine to scream.
The following users liked this post:
Cloud0307 (Nov 4, 2016)
Old Nov 4, 2016, 01:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with the above, the MAP would suit you better as it would keep exhaust gases in a similar pattern versus an equal length.
I think it's funny the love hate for the engine noise. I'm also in the boat of it sounds pretty meh. Have never cared much for it. but that's ok!
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so MAP has lifetime warranty?
Old Dec 18, 2016, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the MAP cast manifold and it fits great. Looks great. And feels like a quality piece. I purchased it to replace my cracked stock manifold. It has changed color to a green/blue/purple color now that it has been heated up. I have about 10k miles on it and it seems to be doing great. On a stock turbo and 24.5psi, I made 363/328 with supporting bolt ons. My factory turbo has now died and I'm looking to stay stock frame. The gtx3576 will probably be getting mated to this great manifold.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 06:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Evergreen
I have the MAP cast manifold and it fits great. Looks great. And feels like a quality piece. I purchased it to replace my cracked stock manifold. It has changed color to a green/blue/purple color now that it has been heated up. I have about 10k miles on it and it seems to be doing great. On a stock turbo and 24.5psi, I made 363/328 with supporting bolt ons. My factory turbo has now died and I'm looking to stay stock frame. The gtx3576 will probably be getting mated to this great manifold.
nice! thanks for the report back
Old Dec 28, 2016, 05:04 PM

Has anyone bought one in past month or so looking to buy one and besides there being bunch of spots to pick one up just wanted so see thanks in advance.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 09:17 PM

Had good results

Originally Posted by lkailburn
nice! thanks for the report back
i have the Garrett GTX 3071r, with supporting mods.

I just installed the map manifold, I already have the map 3.5 intercooler.

Was already makin nice power, my stock manifold, just looked to go upgraded.

Got a phenomenal deal on it, hands down most hp per dollar other than a tune.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 08:26 PM

Negative. The Evo motor 4b11 is far different from
the genesis theta motor . Not sure who told you they are the same but it's 100% incorrect

Originally Posted by FaceMe
No, I'm saying the MAP will suit YOU better, because it retains the stock engine exhaust note. Especially considering you like the ETS quiet. I have a Driven Fab single, and I'm a fan of ETS Extreme or Tomei, so opposite.

I don't like the deep flat sound the Evo makes stock. Infact most turbo 4 from factory all sound the same; a flat deep highly muffled tone that doesn't scream. Anything, 4B11, 4G63, 3SGTE, SR20, 1.8T, BPT, Hyundai Genesis (which is an evo motor LOL)anything, even a Honda with a log turbo manifold.

And the "engine exhaust note" tone is separate from the exhaust. My exhaust system sounds good, but my engine doesn't, if that makes sense. Your engine exhaust note is affected by many variables, engine size, compression ratio, cams, flow, overall CFM, manifolds, turbo, WG, ect. Your exhaust is just the actual turbo back (DP/Cat or TP/Catback). That's 2 different things.

You can change it at the engine side, or the exhaust side, or both. An ETS Extreme is going to be loud on any Evo, but the one on tubulars and big turbo is going to scream and be higher pitched. Whereas the one on stock log, or MAP is just simply going to be loud.

A tubular will get more of that 'raspy' sound. Which is what I like. I've actually ordered a MAP tubular V band kit with a 6266 and EWG and looking for big cams to get rid of that Evo sound, I want mine to scream.