Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

My 13 gsr build in progress *8374 kelford c's*

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My 13 gsr build in progress *8374 kelford c's*

Hello everyone!

This is my third evo x and I couldn't be happier with the car. I have loved evos since watching paul walker drive the notorious lime green one in the first fast and furious. Never could afford one while in high school but my time finally came back in 2010. Here is the link to my first evo build. Nothing crazy just your basic bolt ons and a cam upgrade. Before I get into my current build I just want to share with you why I had to get rid of it.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...382-400-a.html

My first evo was a used 2008 mr which one of the gear boxes for the twin clutch system went out on the way home the night I bought it (lucky me). So the next day i had to drive it back and they gave me a new 2010 gsr for the same price as the used MR. The wife was super pissed at me since it was a 2hr trip to Illinois. Which she had to make with are couple month old daughter since she was a co signer. After a couple years with it i had to trade it in so I could get my wife and new born into a house. I was very very sad to see it go but I had to do the responsible thing. Family always comes first. On the bright side tho the car did cost me alot of money due to mechanical issues so as much as I had loved this car I also hated it. I don't mean the cost of mods I mean the cost of numerous trips to ams and dyno time. Long and short is ams had installed thier fuel rail afpr kit 1000 Id and Grimspeed 3port. After being tuned my car bogged down at 2500 rpms and would almost stall out. Back then they didn't offer a damper option on there fuel rail kit which is what was causing the problem. There was nothing that I could do at the time cause nobody new how to fix it. It was pretty upsetting to me being my first evo and it giving me nothing but problems. Any ways prior to selling it I was lucky enough to find a buyer on evom for all my aftermarket parts that was local and I gave him a deal since we swapped for all the stock parts I needed and did that all in his garage over a sat. Night.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ease-help.html

Ams couldn't figure it out and left me for the most part high and dry. I'm not trying to bash them but I won't do business with them anymore. Which is to bad cause I would have liked to try there tmp cams. Instead I went with kelford c's for my current build.

Cars in between evos

2010 civic lx - gone
2011 civic lx (wife's) - gone
2013 focus st (green filter cobb exhaust and ap. Fun to drive but no evo) - gone
2008 Silverado ltz - gone
2014 cruze lt (wife's - still own)
2000 honda crv (my DD)

Which brings me too now.

I found a fully modded 2013 apex silver x running on e85. The way i looked at it was this car is pretty much right where i had left off with my old x. Besides the cams and valvetrain and some other minor mods. This x however has rims and other exterior mods that i absolutly love. And after spending all that money on bolt ons for my old x I'm glad I found one modded already so I could spend money on bigger power parts. The canards are something i could have done without but they have grown on me. My wife calls them eye lashes and hates them as well as the carbon fiber trunk. She is crazy end of story. When going to test drive it at the dealership and hoping to take it home that night they said that wouldnt be possibly due to a fifth gear grind. That was fixed completletly with a whole new 5th gear and syncros. Moving on i bought the car when it was fixed. First morning after purchasing it the service awd light came on. They replaced my ayc pump at no charge. WINNING! Finally got the car and it runs perfectly besides some.minor alignment issues which I'm looking into.

mods that came with the car and dyno sheet. And some professional pics of car

I have been in contact with the previous owner and he has never launched the car (so he claims) but the mechanic who did the 5th gear work says he has never seen such a nice and clean looking clutch. So I do believe him as far as never launching it. The car has never seen winter either. Hence y I bought my crv so I can keep it rust free.
My first mods to the car were some rally armour mud flaps and weather techs (best investment u can make)and a turbosmart dual port bov. I was very happy with the car and power it was making but after a couple months of owning it I got bored and need to give this car some power of my own.

So I went shopping
Full race 8374 iwg .92 ar with turbo smart wg and bov

Kelford c's and beehive kit

Some piping from the turbo kit, 3.5 in intake and 3 in licp. As well as an ets v2 extreme ams test pipe full race down pipe and my ams widemouth which is now for sale.

Yes I have visqueen underneath my car to preventive moisture from the concrete.

Boomba fuel rail and pump hanger with aeromotive 340. Which just got sent out to Tj @ WTF tuning for his to install my walbro 450 and rewire it. As well as get the fuel rail set up for there inline fuel filter so I can drop it all in without any issue. There is also a picture of my fuel sock that has about 20k miles worth of e85 through it

Megan racing radiator and some comparison shots

Other mods waiting for install.

Aem oil pressure and.volt gauge (w/ ams remote oil pressure sending unit)
Rexpseed dual steering column pod
ARP head studs
Id 1700cc injectors
Dei titanium wrap for manifold
New headgasket intake manifold gasket throttle body and exhaust manifold gasket
Dei gold heat wrap
Amsoil intake filter

Freshly painted ets 3.5in i/c. Stencil deleted

Here is how my car sits as of right now. Front bumper hard piping intercooler intake turbo exhaust fuel pump intake manifold fuel rail radiator

I am dragging my feet with this but then again I'm working 60-70 hrs a week which doesnt leave much time to get this done. Hopefully by oct. I'll have this all together and tuned. Which will be by Mr. Rickerman. I'm hoping to see 600+ whp and keep the trq at a nice curve to 380 tops.

So far the biggest pain in the *** was the removal of the turbo and exhaust manifold. There r a couple bolts (which if u have done this before u no which ones I'm talking about) that r just a pain in the d***. Also the fuel pump hanger sucked too as I have a full tank of e85 and it just went everywhere in my garage trying to yank that thing out. From the picture above u can see how far that filter sticks out and I really had to pull on it for it to come. Glad nothing broke cause usually things do that's the luck I have.

Also put the v2 extreme on last night after I got done taking the intake manifold and fuel rail out which here are some pics of how clean my injectors r. I love e85 I'll never go back to pump...EVER

This build wouldnt be possible without my trusty dd

As well as my wife step dad and craiger . Ik this is lengthy and there is still a lot more to come. I will continue to update with pictures.

Next update will b the head removal, gauge install, and my zeitronix eca

Thanks hope u enjoyed this

Last edited by The_X_Effect; Dec 13, 2016 at 12:22 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charlie I couldn't be happier for you and your build on this car and I'm excited to help where I can. Excited my name made the thread also. Wish I had one of my own right now.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by teamdomokun
Charlie I couldn't be happier for you and your build on this car and I'm excited to help where I can. Excited my name made the thread also. Wish I had one of my own right now.
Ur day will come and it's gonna b awesome.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Nice write up man. Glad things are working out for you. Looking forward to seeing your results!
Old Sep 2, 2016, 02:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dross99_si
Nice write up man. Glad things are working out for you. Looking forward to seeing your results!
Thanks. It took some time to write it haha. But everything should b installed on or around sept. 17th then a tune will come shortly after. I will b sure to update then. If I have time gauges and eca will b going in over the holiday
Old Sep 30, 2016, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
any update?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 08:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car looks great and i am sure it'll be a beast when you're done. I have never been a fan of canards, but they do work/look good on your car.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ddlopresti
any update?
Yeah I have been very busy but the car is running and just in the process of working with rickerman on my etune.

Here is my initial start up video. Around 5 min. I give it some revs. I had a fuel leak from my return line so I was fixing that. And the smoke at the end is from all the header wrap. It scared the **** outta me at first!!! There will b plenty more videos to come. I did however switch back to the ams single exit exhaust due to the extreme just being WAY to loud!!!

Thanks for showing intreste guys there is much more to come!!!

I am a little upset that there isn't much lope from the kelford c's tho. Was really hoping they would bounce more
Old Oct 1, 2016, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Stock retainer vs gsc beehive retainer

Old Oct 1, 2016, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did u have to run spacers for that wheel size?
Old Oct 1, 2016, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Looks like it's coming along great. Nice job man!
Old Oct 2, 2016, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Sub! Love that black IC!
Old Oct 3, 2016, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The_X_Effect

Stock retainer vs gsc beehive retainer

Awesome build! +1 for Trump.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sujinX
Did u have to run spacers for that wheel size?
Negative

Originally Posted by Dross99_si
Looks like it's coming along great. Nice job man!
Thank you!! It hasn't been exactly easy at times. Project has caused some stress but it's almost dialed in. Just way to busy at work to finishing everything up but I'll b posting plenty of more pics and videos in the near future. As well as breaking down issues I ran into so hopefully it will help members with there builds.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

Quick update

I fixed all the small little leaks I had yesterday. A few lines had screwed loose on the turbo causing a small oil leak. And I did my first 3rd gear pulls while logging trims and afr's for rickerman. Everything went smoothly and for only hitting 24 pounds this car is a rocket. The turbo sounds like a jet engine. It's amazing can't wait to feel this thing with some more boost. I'll get more videos and pictures up just working 7 days a week atm gotta find time to update this more.

Quick Reply: My 13 gsr build in progress *8374 kelford c's*