Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Blown piston and damaged block

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2016, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Blown piston and damaged block

My current setup is full Akravopic Exhaust, AMS intercooler, AMS up pipes, Drop in filter and AMS tune on 91 octane. My Evo X made 330whp as it sat.

Yesterday we were on a spirited drive and i pushed my Evo too far 8000RPM in 5th gear for a sustained period. I was trying to keep up with a bunch of Porsches

Anyways i have a blown #1 piston and damaged sleeve. So now I'm thinking to buy an assembled short block and there are two ways to go:
1. Just buy a 2.0 short block and install it while keeping everything the same. Most likely car will still make the same 330whp but hopefully will last longer. My stock engine lasted only 8000 miles.

2. Go with a 2.2 Short block and upgraded Turbo to make the most power on 91 pump gas while keeping stock exhaust manifold and intake manifold. Maybe just change the cams if needed. I want the best spool possible for such a setup. I have no clue which Short block or Turbo to go with here and what kind of fuel requirements are needed if im only running on pump gas.

So i need your suggestions and help so i can get my car back on the road.

Last edited by LSs1Power; Oct 2, 2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Wow over 250 views with no replies.

Anyways after research and speaking with few people i decided to go with AMS 2.0 short block, FPGreen .86, 1000cc injectors, 450 fuel pump, new oil pump, gaskets, snowperformance alky injection for extra safety. Target is 400whp on 91 octane with alky help.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hitting 8k rpms with stock engine is just asking trouble. Engine will last long if you are not planning to push that far. imo i think its good choice going with 2.0 and green.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
Engine went lean, knocked, shattered spark plug porcelain and the destroyed piston.

Invest your several thousand dollars in a block that has forged internals. I know map has sleeved blocks for the x.

If it were on e85 this probably wouldnt have happened. So make the switch.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 10:43 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by LSs1Power
My Evo X made 330whp as it sat.
i pushed my Evo too far 8000RPM in 5th gear for a sustained period. I was trying to keep up with a bunch of Porsches
I call BS on this, you weren't hanging out at 170mph with 330whp.

Just a weee bit of an exaggeration.
The following users liked this post:
shekaar (Oct 3, 2016)
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chef-j
Hitting 8k rpms with stock engine is just asking trouble. Engine will last long if you are not planning to push that far. imo i think its good choice going with 2.0 and green.
Yes i hope this setup would last longer. I will not do another long high speed run like this even with the new engine.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
Engine went lean, knocked, shattered spark plug porcelain and the destroyed piston.

Invest your several thousand dollars in a block that has forged internals. I know map has sleeved blocks for the x.

If it were on e85 this probably wouldnt have happened. So make the switch.

I think its the combo of bad fuel questionable 91 octane and sustained long running 10km in distance at 8000RPM in 5th gear is what caused it. Car was running healthy before it all happened.
Attached Thumbnails Blown piston and damaged block-img_0303.jpg   Blown piston and damaged block-img_0304.jpg  
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
I call BS on this, you weren't hanging out at 170mph with 330whp.

Just a weee bit of an exaggeration.
Ok whatever makes you happy
Old Oct 3, 2016, 07:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
If I was doing it again, I would go the 2.4 with the 94mm billet crank..

And don't bother with a fp Green..
Old Oct 3, 2016, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tephra
If I was doing it again, I would go the 2.4 with the 94mm billet crank..

And don't bother with a fp Green..
Any particular vendor?
Also if i go 2.4, i will end up going with ported, intake manifold, larger turbo and my worry it wont be reliable.

Also who makes a 2.4 without sleeving the block? I don't want iron sleeve inserts thay could cause problems in the future.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 07:16 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
If u don't want to sleeve it. Then stick with a manifold 2.0 and fp Green..
Old Oct 3, 2016, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think its the combo of bad fuel questionable 91 octane and sustained long running 10km in distance at 8000RPM in 5th gear is what caused it. Car was running healthy before it all happened.
REALLY??? Lets assume what you are saying is the truth. For all the guys here in the US, 10km is 6.2 miles. Evo X stock gearing is 171.5mph at 8,000rpms according to Jacks Transmissions. So for 6.2 miles you had your Evo pinned at redline going 171mph? Do yourself a favor a just buy an oem short block.
It will save you money in the long run because with that kind of driving even a built bottom end wont save you. In all honesty what did you expect to happen? I believe this story is highly fabricated though. I do not live anywhere where the roads are straight enough for that long to maintain those speeds fo over 6 miles...
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by roach85
REALLY??? Lets assume what you are saying is the truth. For all the guys here in the US, 10km is 6.2 miles. Evo X stock gearing is 171.5mph at 8,000rpms according to Jacks Transmissions. So for 6.2 miles you had your Evo pinned at redline going 171mph? Do yourself a favor a just buy an oem short block.
It will save you money in the long run because with that kind of driving even a built bottom end wont save you. In all honesty what did you expect to happen? I believe this story is highly fabricated though. I do not live anywhere where the roads are straight enough for that long to maintain those speeds fo over 6 miles...
Well im not living in the US. Also there is no reason for me to fabricate a story. I had three friends with me in a 997.2 Carrera S, 991.1 GT3 and Masarati. The GT3 was doing 300km ahead of me and the 997.2 Carrera S was just slightly faster at 285km. The Masarati topped at 275km and was behind me. Yes the roads are wide and empty and we usually do these runs starting from 5:30am up to 8am just outside the city on empty roads.

So the Evo had plenty of time and uphills and downhills to hit that speed. I remeber looking down at the Speedo at 270km and was around 7800rpm or so and i said to myself lets see where this little car will max out and the with a slight downhill i saw 280km and RPM was at 8k RPM which is where the rev limiter was set at.

Anyways that is all besides the point of the thread. I used to do that with my other cars with no issues, but not in my Evo. Lesson learned.
Attached Thumbnails Blown piston and damaged block-img_0286.jpg   Blown piston and damaged block-img_0283.jpg  
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well im not living in the US. Also there is no reason for me to fabricate a story. I had three friends with me in a 997.2 Carrera S, 991.1 GT3 and Masarati. The GT3 was doing 300km ahead of me and the 997.2 Carrera S was just slightly faster at 285km. The Masarati topped at 275km and was behind me. Yes the roads are wide and empty and we usually do these runs starting from 5:30am up to 8am just outside the city on empty roads.

So the Evo had plenty of time and uphills and downhills to hit that speed. I remeber looking down at the Speedo at 270km and was around 7800rpm or so and i said to myself lets see where this little car will max out and the with a slight downhill i saw 280km and RPM was at 8k RPM which is where the rev limiter was set at.

Anyways that is all besides the point of the thread. I used to do that with my other cars with no issues, but not in my Evo. Lesson learned.
Well do yourself a favor and upgrade the valvetrain while your doing the bottom end. Do not just replace with OEM components. Do it right and do it once. Good luck
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
That is detonation damage on the piston. Probably not the fuel's fault. But how you were driving. You need to inform your tuner that you plan doing very long and extended WOT runs on the freeway like that. Things need to be changed in the tune to accommodate the heat soak everything is going to experience to prevent engine damage. Richer AFR's, less aggressive timing, etc.

Quick Reply: Blown piston and damaged block