Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rust in EVO X FE Rear Diff @ 7K miles.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2017, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
His intention isn't to hook you up, they get hourly + COMMISSION..
IF HE HOOKS YOU UP, THEN YOUR MESSIN WITH HIS POCKETS !!!
Old Jan 11, 2017, 09:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Lol, yup. Dealer parts departments are worse than vehicle sales when it comes to trying to mark stuff up for higher profits/commission...
Old Jan 12, 2017, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rognasty
Update: I have been defeated. Mitsubishi said im on my own. Was on the call with the distric manager and claims manager. A combination of two things lead to their decision.

1. I'm tuned and that alone voided my entire warranty.
2. The rust argument is not valid because it was not discovered by mitsubishi.

Weighted my options. Fighting out in court is costly and seeing their point of view, im not too confident I would win at this point. They were more than okay with me suing. Cost of a new diff is $6k, which is cheaper than a long legal battle. I guess ill buy it and hope others can learn from my experience.
Call Steve Lehto!
Old Jan 14, 2017, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Meanwhile at FORD you can buy friggin SUPERCHARGER kits under warranty from them for the Mustang GT. If Ford had the RS out when I bought my MR, I wouldn't be on this forum. The way they treat their customers with mods is 100% different than Mitsu....

~Jaraxle
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rognasty
I can't believe the part guys at Mitu I talked to, knowing my issue, said the best they can do is $6K knowing these things can be bought for $4K. Haven't made enough money off of me i suppose.
This is why I don't argue with dealers. File an action in small claims court. In most states, it's a one page form and a ~$30 fee. You can have them served by a sheriff and they must show up in court and defend their actions in front of a judge. If they don't show, the judge typically awards you whatever you ask for.

Arguing with them is pointless. Put it in front of an impartial judge.

I had to do this with a landlord and it worked out very well. Their excuses crumble in front of anyone with a brain. It's fun to watch.

Here's a link on how to do it:
http://www.courts.ca.gov/1007.htm

I start off writing them a demand letter. Send it via certified mail and let them know of your intentions to file a suit against them. My guess is, they give in at this point. If not, a small claims case is incredibly easy to push forward with.

What dealership is it?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaraxle
Meanwhile at FORD you can buy friggin SUPERCHARGER kits under warranty from them for the Mustang GT. If Ford had the RS out when I bought my MR, I wouldn't be on this forum. The way they treat their customers with mods is 100% different than Mitsu....

~Jaraxle
I know the supercharger voids the warranty on the car. My local Ford dealer actually has them installed on a few cars on the lot right now for $48,000 the car has some other goodies added too like wheels and suspension.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 09:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by BlueBlurSTi
I know the supercharger voids the warranty on the car. My local Ford dealer actually has them installed on a few cars on the lot right now for $48,000 the car has some other goodies added too like wheels and suspension.

Ford most certainly does sell supercharger kits that come with a warranty. You have to buy them from FRPP, or Roush, and you must use the supplied tuning, fuel system, blower pulley, etc..

Originally Posted by TurboTJ
This is why I don't argue with dealers. File an action in small claims court. In most states, it's a one page form and a ~$30 fee. You can have them served by a sheriff and they must show up in court and defend their actions in front of a judge. If they don't show, the judge typically awards you whatever you ask for.

Arguing with them is pointless. Put it in front of an impartial judge.

I had to do this with a landlord and it worked out very well. Their excuses crumble in front of anyone with a brain. It's fun to watch.

Here's a link on how to do it:
http://www.courts.ca.gov/1007.htm

I start off writing them a demand letter. Send it via certified mail and let them know of your intentions to file a suit against them. My guess is, they give in at this point. If not, a small claims case is incredibly easy to push forward with.

What dealership is it?

This. Luckily the rear diff fits into a small claims court amount.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Ford most certainly does sell supercharger kits that come with a warranty. You have to buy them from FRPP, or Roush, and you must use the supplied tuning, fuel system, blower pulley, etc..

This. Luckily the rear diff fits into a small claims court amount.

The Ford supercharger that increase power to 727 voids the factory warranty even when installed at the dealer, these are brand new cars without warranty at the dealer.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 01:05 PM
EvoM Guru

The Ford supercharger that increase power to 727 voids the factory warranty even when installed at the dealer, these are brand new cars without warranty at the dealer.
Warranty not voided. From FRPP:

SELECT FORD PERFORMANCE RACING PARTS
LIMITED WARRANTY

Rev. June 1, 2015
Superchargers MY 2011-14

Select superchargers are warranted for factory-supplied material and workmanship when correctly and completely installed on late model Ford vehicles by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer, Shelby American, Inc., mountune LLC or an automotive service technician certified by the Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE).

Installation of these select Ford Performance warranted superchargers by an authorized installer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Engine, driveline and suspension concerns not caused by an installed Ford Performance supercharger remain eligible for warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

LIMITED WARRANTY

Rev. June 1, 2015
Superchargers MY 2015-16

Select superchargers are warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship when correctly and completely installed by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer, Shelby American, Inc., mountune LLC or an automotive servicetechnician certified by the Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE).

Installation of these select Ford Performance warranted superchargers by an authorized installer will NOT void your New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Engine, driveline and suspension concerns not caused by an installed Ford Performance supercharger remain eligible for warranty coverage according to the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

The following users liked this post:
Jaraxle (Jan 16, 2017)
Old Jan 16, 2017, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
Warranty not voided. From FRPP:

LIMITED WARRANTY

Rev. June 1, 2015
Superchargers MY 2011-14

Select superchargers are warranted for factory-supplied material and workmanship when correctly and completely installed on late model Ford vehicles by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer, Shelby American, Inc., mountune LLC or an automotive service technician certified by the Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE).

LIMITED WARRANTY

Rev. June 1, 2015
Superchargers MY 2015-16

Select superchargers are warranted for factory-supplied material or workmanship when correctly and completely installed by an authorized Ford or Lincoln Dealer, Shelby American, Inc., mountune LLC or an automotive servicetechnician certified by the Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE).

You my friend are fantastic. Saved me the time to defend something I know. I didn't say ALL supercharger kits are covered. But lets be honest here; you sneeze on your EVO and the dealer tells you to pound salt!
Rumor has it that FORD will have an upgrade package for the RS for over 400hp WITH WARRANTY. That is a RUMOR right now, I don't know when/if. There past business model indicates it will happen.

~Jaraxle
Old Jan 16, 2017, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

All I know is my dealer has roush charged cars and it voids the power train
Old Jan 17, 2017, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
If ford does not void warranties, it's likely due to a few reasons:
1) They designed the supercharger kit. They can make sure that it's safe (that the engine is running at safe AFR's, timing, etc.)
2) Very few people modify Mustangs with more than an exhaust. I have 4 friends with late model mustangs here at work and none have any work done to them. All of my friends with evo's have at least $5k in mods into them. I have never none someone who kept their evo stock. I'm sure if mustangs were modified at the same rate, ford would view the warranty claims differently.
3) It's a lot easier to damage a bleeding edge AWD system than a decades old front engine/RWD setup (especially with a light-weight rear end). With RWD, when you make a lot of torque, the rear tires simply slip relieving the stress in the drivetrain. AWD has 2x+ more torque in the drivetrain (assuming a powerful engine) and the drivetrain is a lot more complicated.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 09:44 AM
EvoM Guru

All I know is my dealer has roush charged cars and it voids the power train
It simply CAN NOT void the warranty. You, and the dealer if this is what they are saying, do not understand the Magnuson Moss act.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

It simply CAN NOT void the warranty. You, and the dealer if this is what they are saying, do not understand the Magnuson Moss act.
It says it right on the window sticker. They can void you over a tune, some people get voided over a cold air intake. Makes sense that adding 300 horse power and the assorted things that go along with the pro charger would void it.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Like I said, you, nor the dealer, understand the Magnuson Moss act.

Quick Reply: Rust in EVO X FE Rear Diff @ 7K miles.