Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exhaust volume and drone solutions?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2016, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust volume and drone solutions?

So since I've been adding more mods to the car (full exhaust, turbo kit, etc.) it's obviously become much louder. The problem is I drive my car on a daily basis, and the loud exhaust and highway drone can get tiring. I've already got a Cobb catted test pipe and Turbo XS cat back, which in theory is a pretty tame setup, but after the new turbo went on it's been a bit much. Are there any solutions to bring down the exhaust volume and drone just a bit? I know I signed up for this by modifying the car and that I sound like an old man complaining about loud cars, but it being this loud constantly gets old. So yeah, any ideas?
Old Dec 31, 2016, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
What turbo kit?

While I am immune to exhaust noise or, perhaps, I am deaf in certain frequencies having driven a 94 Miata R with a Mazda factory Competition exhaust for over a decade. What I do notice, is I drive significantly slower the louder the car is. I draw too much attention. I feel comfortable getting into it a lot more the quieter/stock the exhaust.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Quality, long resonator(s) between the cat and rear muffler go a long way.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by moparfan
What turbo kit?

While I am immune to exhaust noise or, perhaps, I am deaf in certain frequencies having driven a 94 Miata R with a Mazda factory Competition exhaust for over a decade. What I do notice, is I drive significantly slower the louder the car is. I draw too much attention. I feel comfortable getting into it a lot more the quieter/stock the exhaust.
I've got a MAP v band kit with a precision 5858 ball bearing. That makes sense, I have noticed my foot has been a bit lighter since the increased sound
Old Jan 3, 2017, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by six40
Quality, long resonator(s) between the cat and rear muffler go a long way.
That's what I'm leaning towards, I've been looking at a vibrant performance resonator, just something to clamp in after the cat. Don't know how much or little they do to the volume.