Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Strange noise possible tranny/clutch?

Old Feb 13, 2017, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange noise possible tranny/clutch?

So I've been getting this vibration/knocking noise coming from the engine bay. I can only hear it inside the car coming from the transmission/clutch area. I can have the car idle to the point where it'll get really loud but When stick my head in the engine bay I can't hear it. When I press on the brake with my right foot and slowly let the clutch out(not letting it stall) it gets louder. This happened right after my turbo install and downpipe. The car drives fine. No slipping from The clutch. No noise when going through the gears. The weird thing is when I get into the drive way from an angle it sounds like a suspension issue. It could be cause I'm letting in and out of the clutch slowly going up the driveway. I had the car up on a lift and of course no sound. Anyone got any ideas?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 01:20 PM

Do you happen to have a video of the noise?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Found out the problem today! I found a swivel socket waged in between the cross member and the sub frame. Probably happened during my Mhi install. glad it wasnt anything mechanical.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 07:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Reminds me of the time I left my evo in for a service and the mechanic said "we gave you a new Mitsubishi oil filler cap free of charge."
Was happy until 2 weeks later a friend found my old one sat comfortably in the subframe from underneath.
Glad you found the issue and it didn't cause any damage.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo VI.
Reminds me of the time I left my evo in for a service and the mechanic said "we gave you a new Mitsubishi oil filler cap free of charge."
Was happy until 2 weeks later a friend found my old one sat comfortably in the subframe from underneath.
Glad you found the issue and it didn't cause any damage.
I was thinking of all the worst thing it can be..my clutch, my tranny, maybe i blew a rod?! lol but im so glad it was something simple.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by SpeedI2acerX
Found out the problem today! I found a swivel socket waged in between the cross member and the sub frame. Probably happened during my Mhi install. glad it wasnt anything mechanical.
How are you liking the MHI upgrade? Did you stay on pump gas? What are you putting down?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

I wish I could have gotten bigger lol. Don't get me wrong its a nice turbo. I'm just confuse on why my tune was so conservative. On my original tune I was putting down 375hp with e85 then after I added the mhi with a downpipe and fmic in putting down the same number?..both on a mustang dyno. I told my tuner I'm shooting for 400hp+. Anyways I'm saving up for a 3076r or something a little biger. In the mean time I'm loving the nice pull and sound of the BB turbo.

Originally Posted by Dr-Gonzo
How are you liking the MHI upgrade? Did you stay on pump gas? What are you putting down?
Old Mar 3, 2017, 04:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpeedI2acerX
I was thinking of all the worst thing it can be..my clutch, my tranny, maybe i blew a rod?! lol but im so glad it was something simple.
Hah, throw a rod and you'll know it!....