Notices
Evo X Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine builds to the best clutch and flywheel.

Engine Grenade while on Dyno

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Grenade while on Dyno

I have posted this in the Ralliart section but it does not seem to get as many views and since it is my understanding they share the same block will post here as well. We are in the Greater Toronto Area of Ontario Canada. If it is a problem let me know and I will remove it. I have signed up to the forum in search of some knowledge and recommendations to help a good friend get out of a bad situation he has found himself in...

It is really unfortunate what happened to Cody’s car. Cody saved up for a long time and really did everything right from his end. He seeked the advice and services of a local specialty shop. Reza built confidence in the build and his services. Cody dropped the car off into Reza’s care and allowed him as much time as he required to a very simple bolt on and tune set up.

Reza sent Cody a dyno graph of the Ralliart making 390AWHP and invited him to pick up the car. Cody excitedly returned his rental car and arranged a ride to pick up his car. Reza collected payment and provided Cody the keys, then informed him the car was not starting and he believed it to be a battery issue but due to lack of time he would be unable to look over it for a few weeks. Cody was left with no other option but to pay for towing his car home and to self diagnose.

Upon initial inspection it was discovered the battery was performing as expected and the starting issues were a result of major engine damage including a hole blown through the intake manifold, metal particles embedded in the spark plug electrodes, and a large crack on the engine block. It is very likely upon further inspection it will be confirmed the pistons will be cracked with missing pieces the rings will be damaged, the cylinder walls will be scoured, the valves will be bent, the hot side turbine on the turbocharger will have damage, the crankshaft will be warped, ect.

I have done some online research and made a few phone calls to other local tuners that have confirmed my suspicions that DynoTune Racing may be a second tier shop with little knowledge of properly enhancing Mitsubishi’s. There is a post on his twitter page where a customer had paid Reza to tune his Evo 10 and only made 225AWHP which is surely not any more then a stock Evo X would make from the showroom floor. Reza had mentioned he was unsure if the damage happened while backing the car out of the shop to the parking lot or while on the dyno. The highly experienced engine builders contacted assured be this level of damage displayed surely happened while at peak boost at peak RPMs on the dynometer.

It is clear that a large detonation has taken place at the upper RPMs while under maximum boost, 26psi or 1.8 bar. The size of turbocharger was out of its efficiency range to supply this flow of air and was over heating the charge. The stock intercooler was unable to effectively dissipate this heat. The stock exhaust ports would have had trouble dumping the spent exhaust gases prolonging the combustion chamber to excessive temperatures. The combined factors taking place were sufficient to overcome the inadequate 94 octane rating of the fuel being tuned for. This caused the controlled burn of the mixture to develop into a violent explosion of the charge known as detonation. The stock injectors were well past the reliable 100% injector duty cycle range and the stock fuel pump would have had a difficult time maintaining adequate fuel pressure which would have leaned the fuel to air mixture ratio and leaned the mixture further adding heat as the unspent fuel was non existent and therefor unable to absorb and carry the heat out of the combustion chamber. The frontal of the detonation is led by a sonic wave which is highly destructive to the engine components. This would have caused breakage of the piston ringlands fount in the sparkplugs and damaged the turbo hot side. Such excessive pressures generated during the violent detonation that took place are transferred to the piston head down the connecting rod to the lower bearing damaging the runner then to the crankshaft bending it and cracking the block. The valves floated and blew a hole in the intake manifold during this heat soaked destruction of the engine.

Reza expectedly as most unreputable shops has decided to take the easy way out and wash his hands of the episode after collecting payment off Cody by not returning calls and blocking him from his facebook. The damages are in excess of $7000.00 and this is provided the transmission was not damaged during this ravish tuning session, which we have no way of knowing at this time as the tuner is not being forthcoming of the event details that have taking place. To reliably build the motor to regularly handle 390AWHP will be in excess of $10,000.00 plus taxes and install.

Unfortunately Cody is left without a family car at this time and without the funding to correct the mistake that has taken place.

This is really beyond Cody's knowledge/experience level and we are asking for any guidance on the best way to get out of this situation. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 09:50 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Pretty much going to have to sue the shop.

Also, a stock short block can more than handle 390whp. With a proper turbo setup, cams, and tuning, they can make close 550whp..
Old Mar 27, 2017, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
I know a lot of tuners will put it out there that they are not responsible for what happens on the Dyno, but it seems pretty fishy in this case. If it blew up on the Dyno, they definitely knew about it. They would have had to roll it off instead of driving off. Then to top it off, they say its probably just a dead battery but didn't even offer to jump it for him and made him get a tow home?

As someone who suffered from a canned engine thanks to a ****ed injector, this will easily hit $8000 assuming he needs a crate engine and various replacement parts + labor. As letsgetthisdone mentioned, I would definitely sue. Have him contact the tuner to see if he'll do anything to make this right, and if he refuses which he most likely will, lawyer up.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
first mistake is paying for the service when the car was inop.
second is towing it home, u just took liability from the shop into your hands.

it sucks what happened, but its going to be even more difficult to put blame on the shop now that you paid for the service and took it home. the shop showed the dyno sheet giving proof its ok, ur friend fell for it. so now the shop can say whatever they want.

people have become less than animals now, preying on the innocent. i've fallen victim so i know. hope it works out for your friend.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
sujin is correct - it will be an uphill battle, even with a lawyer involved.

-asher
Old Apr 4, 2017, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
What on earth will a fmdatalog show? The car made one decent pull? It's his responsibility to produce a tune within a a certain threshold of safety as requested by the customer. I doubt anyone would ever say make 400 with no concern for reliability. Regardless unless that sst was built those numbers are too high to shoot for anyway.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 169 Likes on 115 Posts
I lost an engine (4g63) on A dyno, and it was due to MY mechanical problem (massive boost leak from wormgear clamp) and THEIR ignorance of the issue and lack of knowledge/effort to correct it. Sorry this happened, but you have to pay to play and when you take an engineered system and change it for more power you take on that risk. All shops are NOT equal and the more you know about your car & tune the better.

~Jaraxle