Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

TSB 08-00-002 - X New Model Service Information

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2008, 07:18 AM
Plat Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
TSB 08-00-002 - X New Model Service Information

More simple, but informative bits.

Old Feb 14, 2008, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sticky!
Old Feb 14, 2008, 08:07 AM
EvoM Community Team

Thanks Russell! Always looking out for us members and providing good information!

By the way, do you have any more information about the MR's "neutral gear rattle"? They mention they don't have a fix for it. Just doesn't sound right that a "rattle" of any sort would be considered "normal"...
Old Feb 14, 2008, 08:20 AM
Plat Vendor

Originally Posted by adambl03
Thanks Russell! Always looking out for us members and providing good information!

By the way, do you have any more information about the MR's "neutral gear rattle"? They mention they don't have a fix for it. Just doesn't sound right that a "rattle" of any sort would be considered "normal"...
I saw that too and it sound a little shifty (no pun inteneded). I just wonder how severe the rattle is. They usually address even the most insignificant things in TSB's like this so when customers say something they know what the deal is. Im sure once these cars start hitting the pavement we will know more, but at this time I dont know anymore about it. I didnt notice any comments about it in any driver reviews so I dont get it really.

And I do everything I can to help you guys out.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I equate that to clutch noise when you have a performance clutch put in the car. When I went from a stock clutch to the act kt in my sti, it also makes a noise in neutral. It's not really a rattle as much as it is a hum or drone, but clutch noise is normal with these kind of kits. I'd imagine that having a twin plate, wet clutch setup like the mr would be the same thing, and as they mentioned, not indicative of a problem.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yay! Another SST "issue" for the haters to jump on

I'm glad the TSB makes it plainly clear that the reason the SST is replace only at this time is for evaluation in case of failure.

- Patrick
Old Feb 14, 2008, 09:23 AM
Plat Vendor

Originally Posted by Vostok 7
Yay! Another SST "issue" for the haters to jump on

I'm glad the TSB makes it plainly clear that the reason the SST is replace only at this time is for evaluation in case of failure.

- Patrick
Indeed!
Old Feb 14, 2008, 09:31 AM

Wonder if the rattle could be from a lightweight flywheel?

The VW DSG has a slight rattle to it as well and it may be something to do with just how these trannys work.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 09:35 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Evil_X
Wonder if the rattle could be from a lightweight flywheel?

The VW DSG has a slight rattle to it as well and it may be something to do with just how these trannys work.
It will be interesting to find out just how loud this "rattle" is and exactly what it comes from. The flywheel is a good guess.

But, I do have to say that the VW/Audi DSG tranny doesn't experience any "rattle". If it does, something's likely wrong with it or the car has been modified (e.g., lightweight flywheel). It's not the nature of the transmission to "rattle." What VW product with DSG do you own or did you drive? Just curious. I've driven every Audi/VW car made that has DSG and have never experienced a transmission rattle. I've driven them around town, I've driven them on the track. Still never a rattle. Oh well.

Last edited by atombomb33; Feb 14, 2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 09:39 AM

aren't the torque numbers 300@4400 rpm and not @4000 as written above

?

Old Feb 14, 2008, 09:50 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good to know they havent gotten rid of any clips on the undertray. That would be a shame to have less then 1000000000000000.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by adambl03
It will be interesting to find out just how loud this "rattle" is and exactly what it comes from. The flywheel is a good guess.

But, I do have to say that the VW/Audi DSG tranny doesn't experience any "rattle". If it does, something's likely wrong with it or the car has been modified (e.g., lightweight flywheel). It's not the nature of the transmission to "rattle." What VW product with DSG do you own or did you drive? Just curious. I've driven every Audi/VW car made that has DSG and have never experienced a transmission rattle. I've driven them around town, I've driven them on the track. Still never a rattle. Oh well.

I have clocked a lot of time in the A3 and the GTI. But you will only hear it at idle when it's up on a rack. It is also a very slight rattle. You can't hear it while inside the car though.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 10:24 AM

thats a nice little read. i wasnt aware the car had daytime running lights. that was the first thing i unplugged on my WRX.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 11:07 AM

I usually just lurk, but I think I have an explanation for the neutral rattle.

As I understand the twin-clutch tranny, both clutches are wet, just like a motorcycle. Motorcycles make a noise in neutral unless the clutch is pulled in.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

So, it talks about not replacing the battery w/a standard type battery. Are Optima yellow tops considered standard? I was thinking about swapping the stock w/the Optima, for increased audio performance. Would that not work then?

Quick Reply: TSB 08-00-002 - X New Model Service Information