Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X official paint issues/problems thread {merge}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2008, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by inneedof
Mitsubishi paint has not improved from 1990 i see
Old Mar 11, 2008, 04:12 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by inneedof
Mitsubishi paint has not improved from 1990 i see
looks like it got worse. I would saw the IX paint is more resilient than this.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by mofoSTI
The STI's are having the same issues, but it looks like subaru is taking care of its customers that payed 35-40k on thair cars. My STI has chips too and I put 3-m film on and it still got beat. I was shocked to find out that subaru diddnt even have any mud flaps for the 08's.
Rally Armor is releasing them for the 08 STIs within a week or so, and they're doing R&D for the EVO X right now.

http://www.rallyarmor.com/store/news.php
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^Good, although the car doesn't really need them for the rear, just the front; that's where the chips in the rear fender flare are coming from. I wish that there was a subtle, non obtrusive option that is barely noticeable but still provides the protection needed. I don't like the look of the mud flaps on the car, especially from the rear. Clear bra seems to not work well either, as one owner stated that he put it on his STi and it still got beat beat up. Man this sucks, I love my car so much and don't want rock chips in the paint! Damnit, someone come out with a solution to this. Do you hear me, MITSUBISHI, don't screw your customers! I paid good money for my X and I expect to be treated as such. Figure out a fix for this and do it fast, and don't screw people out of paint work for those that help came too late for. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 13, 2008, 07:25 AM
Evolved Member

Has anyone else talked to their dealers again about if Mitsu is going to do anything for us? I am going to talk to my dealer on monday to complain. It is making me sick to look at my rocker panels and see them all chipped up already. I put some temporary splash gaurds on but I think they are only helping a little.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 10:16 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
^Good, although the car doesn't really need them for the rear, just the front; that's where the chips in the rear fender flare are coming from. I wish that there was a subtle, non obtrusive option that is barely noticeable but still provides the protection needed. I don't like the look of the mud flaps on the car, especially from the rear. Clear bra seems to not work well either, as one owner stated that he put it on his STi and it still got beat beat up. Man this sucks, I love my car so much and don't want rock chips in the paint! Damnit, someone come out with a solution to this. Do you hear me, MITSUBISHI, don't screw your customers! I paid good money for my X and I expect to be treated as such. Figure out a fix for this and do it fast, and don't screw people out of paint work for those that help came too late for. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm guessing this is your first Evo?
Old Mar 13, 2008, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UFO
I'm guessing this is your first Evo?
Haha

But seriously, you'd think after 16 years of developing the car, they would have come to a more practical solution other than a 4" x 4" clear bra that barely covers the effected area.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I called XPEL and spoke with a guy named frank (great guy BTW), and I gave him the ip address for this thread so that he could see some pics and hear the owner complaints. He said that he will bring this to mention and make it a priority to make a kit for this part of the car. The kit will be developed and ready in 2-3 weeks from what he guessed so hang in there guys, we will have a solution soon!
Old Mar 13, 2008, 06:05 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
I'd love if they really would give attention; mine is just getting worse everyday. I've lived here for nearly 7 years and never has a car before done this (including 2 older Evos). I don't drive in conditions different than anyone else.
Old Mar 13, 2008, 08:31 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
xpel has a product for the VIII and IX so I think they will come up with one for the X.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

^ I already ordered the front kit for my X from expel and they also have the rocker panel protection kit. I am going to have a buddy of mine put a peice of flat black vinyl on the rear of the rocker panel for me. I will put picks up of how it will look next Wendesday.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Alright guys, Frank from XPEL spoke with me after looking at this thread and needs us to post some more pics. Pics that are close enough to see the chips and damage, but far enough away to see how big the coverage spot needs to be is what we're looking for. If anyone want's to spend the time, using MS PAINT or photoshop and drawing a red circle around the spot that needs to be covered would also be helpful. I don't have a decent camera, and the roads around here are pretty good so my X doesn't really have any chips in it yet, only one small one on the side skirt and that wouldn't be helpful to post that. Noize, you seem to have the most miles on yours and the most subsequent damage, so more pics of yours would probably be the most helpful. The sooner that we can get these pics up, the sooner Frank can get the info he needs to get us a kit.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Mar 14, 2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:03 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Give me this guy's email address, please. I'm not going to be able to host pics this big on my photobucket account.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

I own a apex silver GTS and have had the same problem, which I have taken to numerous body shop for repairs and advice. From what I've gather there's two main paint manufacture's PPG and Dupont. Dupont from what I'm told spreads like butter and buffs like a wet dream, PPG however is far more brittle and buffs like sand paper on chafed butt cheeks!

Even my front fascia has small indentations and road rash with 8k miles. I've felt the plastic moldings and it feels rather low grade compared to other cars I've owned, esp. the aero package on the GTS. In the next couple of months I plan to purchase the X in phantom black I can only hope there's a subtle resolve for this issue...

I won't blame Mitsubishi for the paint, but I do feel the plastic moldings need to be made of better grade materials, something a little more sustainable! All in all it would be nice to see Mitsu use dupont (if their not) and proper grade plastics.

P.S. But lets remember guys we're getting super car performance for a 33k base price tag.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

has anyone tried this? and if so is it worth the price?
http://lancershop.com/customer/produ...9&cat=0&page=1

Edit: I just found some on ebay for 157....So I will let you guys know how it works once I recieve them.

Last edited by su37su; Mar 16, 2008 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Evo X official paint issues/problems thread {merge}