Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

More AMS Help, Please

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2008, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More AMS Help, Please

Well, instead of shipping the CAI back and paying for shipping and extra $50 for bung, I ordered oil catch can for $30.

This is totally over my head and there are no clear instructions on how to install an oil catch can on an evo x, atleast not clear enough for this newb. Can someone walk me through this with pics. Like I know that its supposed to vent the crank to the electronic boost control solenoid, but I don't know which goes to input, output, and where the nipples are to connect the hoses to, is there something I'm supposed to cap off? Pls Help

Here is the quote from their site:

This intake can be ordered in two different configurations. The default configuration is WITHOUT breather bungs for the crank case and boost control solenoid. With this set-up we recommend an oil catch can for the crank case and venting the solenoid to the atmosphere. This will not effect your EVO X's performance negatively in any way.

The second configuration incorporates bungs on the intake pipe where you plug in your breather hoses just as they were from the factory. This is an option at an additional $50 cost.

Actually, if anyone wants to post install instructions with Pics and everything that would be helpful, as there were a lot of questions about this install here and on the other forum.
I feel comfortable putting on the pipe, moving the BOV and connecting the larger hose from the BOV to the CAI and the filter to the CAI, but there is another hose the size of the one that goes from the BOV to the CAI (I don't know where this goes, or the vacuum looking line, or the oil catch can, or the lines from the catch can)

Last edited by Kwiq Niss; May 9, 2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old May 9, 2008, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

that little vacuum line is going to be used on the nipple of the bov first off. the stock one is either too long or too short.

The 2 hoses that can fit either side of the bov are going to be used to on each end of the bov. Its probably going to sit facing the rear of the car, meaning that if you held the stock bov like u would a gun, shooting towards the rear.

The catch can is going to hook up to the crankcase breather hose coming off the valve cover and then depending on which on u get, have another hose that goes to where the valve cover connects to the intake manifold via PCV valve OR might just have a hose that is supposed to run back into the intake. Since you dont have the extra port, I'd say the correct catch can would have a filter or some sort of ventilation and 2 lines coming off of it to connect to the 2 spots on the valve cover that you a 1/2 line. Just remember though, if you connect the catch can to the PCV (coming off of the front if the valve cover somewhere on the X) you need to remove the PCV valve (the piece thats screwed into the valve cover) and replace it with a straight fitting, as in stock form, vacuum is what opens it

-Steve
Old May 10, 2008, 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

when you figure it out on how to install that catch can, post some pictures or instruction dude!
Old May 10, 2008, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steve@NrgTech
Since you dont have the extra port, I'd say the correct catch can would have a filter or some sort of ventilation and 2 lines coming off of it to connect to the 2 spots on the valve cover that you a 1/2 line. Just remember though, if you connect the catch can to the PCV (coming off of the front if the valve cover somewhere on the X) you need to remove the PCV valve (the piece thats screwed into the valve cover) and replace it with a straight fitting, as in stock form, vacuum is what opens it

-Steve
I'm looking for how to install a catch can as well, and you lost me with all of that. Where is the PCV valve? Where do I route the catch can tubes? I'm lost....got pics that might make it easier?
Old May 10, 2008, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Okay, here is what was posted in answer to this question on the other forum:
Nothing vents from the crank case to the electronic boost control solenoid. The crank case breather (PCV) will just connect to the catch can (see pic). The original vacuum hose that connected between the factory intake pipe and the boost control solenoid should just be free (connected to nothing).

Old May 10, 2008, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

now if I just understood what: "To PCV (from Crankcase breather" meant/looked like/was located/ etc.)
I guess when I remove the OEM air box and install the CAI I'll see exactly what he's talking about.