Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Average MPG & MPH resetting

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2008, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Average MPG & MPH resetting

Everytime I get in my car, if it's sat for 4 or more hours, the MGP and MPH rest in the dash display. I have changed the settings to "manual" instead of automatic and stil the same result. Is there any way for the display not to automatically reset or is that just the nature of the beast? I want to know my average thru a whole tank of gas and not just at the moment I am driving. I have read thru the manual several times and still no luck, it's driving me crazy, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

I haven't been able to notice anything differently than what you just posted. I just keep an eye on the miles per tank... what does the manual and auto settings do anyhow?
Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

i have also tried doing what you wanted to do except i gave up since it would reset from Manual mode back to Auto mode after 4 hours. It sucks it won't stay in manual mode.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 01:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is wildly inaccurate anyway, so no big loss. Just do the manual calculation if you want to know your per tank fuel economy.

Keith
Old Oct 26, 2008, 07:19 AM

How accurate is it at the time you check it? Like let's say I'm running 70 mph and reset it and then it displays the mpg, it that at least accurate at the tome?

mike100: I have the same question, what does the automatic setting do differently from the manual setting? Is it that in the automatic mode it resets everytime you start your car and in manual mode it doesn't reset unless it has been off for 4 or more hours?
Old Oct 26, 2008, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
It is wildly inaccurate anyway, so no big loss. Just do the manual calculation if you want to know your per tank fuel economy.

Keith
So's the "DIC" on my 9,000lbs diesel truck, but I like what it's telling me, so I believe it.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fourdoor

Keith

I agree, just fill up until it clicks, reset the mile counter... then on your next fill note the miles driven and gallons filled then just divide it out.... I do that all the time with my truck and it seems to be accurate. Don't forget , when you drive it hard the car will adjust for the type of driving you are doing, and it will store your driving behaviors on next crank.... so if you dog the sh** out of it , turn it off and Pu**y foot it it will have to self adjust.....
Old Oct 28, 2008, 06:25 PM

About the best option I can come up with is, after it has been sitting for 4 hours or longer, just go the the menu settings and set it to manual and then you will be able to track the entire tank. A pain in the butt, but all I can come up with. I just ran thru my first tank of gas and got 20mpg, combo of city and hwy. driving. I will check the next tank manually and with the computer and see how accurate the computer is.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 09:48 PM
NMX

Mine does the same thing, and I think it's a bug. According to the manual, in Auto-mode, it will automatically reset the mpg/mph to 0 after the car has sat longer than 4 hours. In manual mode, it should NEVER reset the averages until you hold down the Info button to force a reset. However, I have the same problem as everyone else. If I set it to manual mode, and then turn the car off and back on, it automatically changes to auto mode. It's supposed to stay in manual mode from what I understand. So am I correct in stating this is a bug in the ECU software?
Old Oct 29, 2008, 07:25 PM

NMX - That is the way I would think it should be, but I don't think that is the way Mitsu set it up, unfortunately I don't think it is a software issue after reading the manual a bunch of times. I think that in the automatic mode it is designed to reset every time the car is started and run. In the manual mode, it keeps the memory up to 4 hours and than after that resets. If you want to reatin the previous reading after the car has sat for more than 4 hours, you must reste it to the manual mode and it will bring back the last reading. Holding the INFO button down in either mode will reset the readings. Don't like it but I think that is the cards we have been dealt.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 04:58 PM

For whatever reason now my car will not show the settings menu option. I keep clicking the info button and go through all the screens and the settings menu will not show up I turned off the car and turned it back on. I am in Park. i dont get it.
Old Feb 11, 2009, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
on my mother's Altima if your car sits and idles the mileage goes down. I'm not to sure if Mitsu's system does the same thing, I haven't checked it. Just use it as a gauge and when you want to save money or gas, then shift before 3k or less if you can... if you don't... just don't go over redline lol
Old Feb 12, 2009, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Methodical4u
on my mother's Altima if your car sits and idles the mileage goes down. I'm not to sure if Mitsu's system does the same thing, I haven't checked it. Just use it as a gauge and when you want to save money or gas, then shift before 3k or less if you can... if you don't... just don't go over redline lol
it does.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

on the key notch, turn to the first click, and cycle through the info and you should see one that says Settings. Hold the info button and you can set it to start in manual all the time.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 09:35 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Same exact type of reset happened on my 2006 Audi A4 and my 2008 R32. If you don't drive it for a few hours, the avg. mpg and mph reset. I think it might be the common way all multi-function displays are programmed across all car makers.

Is there a long-term readout for both mpg and mph on the Evo? My Audi and R32 had a short-term and long-term for both.

Quick Reply: Average MPG & MPH resetting