Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Test pipe and flames

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2009, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test pipe and flames

So here is my question for all you guys who are running a test pipe.I have ams test pipe and from what I've read people are throwing flames running a test pipe.I was wondering for you guys with a test pipe and a tune are you still throwing flames out your exhaust cuz I don't want no flames out my exhaust.I'm sure getting caught with a test pipe is a nice fine.
I have a exhaust,intake, uicp, boost controller and waiting on my intercooler and licp.I want to get a tune after all that.If a tune will cure the flames coming out the tailpipe I slap that sucker right in before the tune.I would apperciate the feedback.I've had that test pipe in my room for about three months now.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dumb question, but is a $1000 fine worth the 5-15hp over a cat?

And personally, not running a cat simply makes EVERYONE's air worse. How'd you like if I was smoking a cigar in your face the whole time you were driving to work. That's what it's like driving behind someone running catless.

And to answer your question, tuning does not get rid of the flames.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

I have a full straight exhaust with a DC Sports downpipe and a TRUST Ti-R full titanium catback and I don't think I'm shooting out flames...
Old Feb 2, 2009, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

doesnt cure it for me, i shoot flames when i redline it.

i dont shoot flame when i drive it normally. like shifting before 3k.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by matias04374
So here is my question for all you guys who are running a test pipe.I have ams test pipe and from what I've read people are throwing flames running a test pipe.I was wondering for you guys with a test pipe and a tune are you still throwing flames out your exhaust cuz I don't want no flames out my exhaust.I'm sure getting caught with a test pipe is a nice fine.
I have a exhaust,intake, uicp, boost controller and waiting on my intercooler and licp.I want to get a tune after all that.If a tune will cure the flames coming out the tailpipe I slap that sucker right in before the tune.I would apperciate the feedback.I've had that test pipe in my room for about three months now.
I think you have a little misconception about what "flames" really are. It's not like there is a flame thrower coming out the back of your car with a test pipe. It is rare that you will get flames, and it takes a certain situation for them to come out. And if they do, it will be for maybe 1 second at most!!!

You might shoot flames if you are at a real high rpm, or if you are at a high rpm and suddenly downshift. That is your most likely scenario. And if it happens, it will be for a split second.

Tuning might solve a little, but it will still happen. But it's really not that bad. You have to TRY to shoot flames. It won't happen during normal driving.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Accelerate, let off, then tap the accelerator again; instant pop and flame.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 05:05 PM
Account Disabled

I see it a lot with STi's.

Originally Posted by goofygrin
And personally, not running a cat simply makes EVERYONE's air worse. How'd you like if I was smoking a cigar in your face the whole time you were driving to work. That's what it's like driving behind someone running catless.
Sounds like you should be driving a Prius not a Evo.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 05:31 PM
Evolving Member

You don't want to be called a flamer? j/k
Old Feb 2, 2009, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Furley
Sounds like you should be driving a Prius not a Evo.
Why? because I care about air quality? High performance does NOT mean that I have to conciously make the air worse.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
^Agreed, I don't understand why people insist on going catless when a system with a high flow cat A. is legal, B. doesn't produce flames and C. nets nearly the same gains as a catless system (ie. within 5 HP). If you're shooting flames, you're running rich between shifts or when you let off which results in unburnt fuel making it into your exhaust system where it ignites.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 06:16 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by goofygrin
Why? because I care about air quality? High performance does NOT mean that I have to conciously make the air worse.
Do you protest professional racing events also?
Old Feb 2, 2009, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

You wont shoot flames unless you are driving hard & chances are if a cop sees the flame you were already going to be pulled over. Not to mention as stated before the flames are rare anyway, but they do give a nice effect.

Old Feb 2, 2009, 07:04 PM

Im running a test pipe with the AMS catback and almost everytime i shift hard from 1st to 2nd i get flames, also when downshifting hard, i love it
Old Feb 2, 2009, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Furley
Do you protest professional racing events also?
Your argument is flawed from the start. Just because someone else does a certain action doesn't mean it's right for you to do it. There are people who think beating women is acceptable behaviour but you'd be hard-pressed to use that as a rationale for giving your wife a black eye. Race cars put on a relatively low amount of miles and are not run all year round. Daily drivers on the other hand are daily drivers, you use them constantly.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

/\/\ bad analogy, but you make your point. I think what he originally was saying is that we are driving a 4 cylinder here. Its not like were stupid rednecks blowing black smoke out of their diesels which is actually hurting performance and blowing soot up in the air . Granted the gains are low but I think the emissions argument is also weak.

Quick Reply: Test pipe and flames