Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Sound Proofing for Engine/Road Noise...

Old Feb 17, 2009, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound Proofing for Engine/Road Noise...

My GSR is pretty noisy when cruising above 75mph...and I'm looking for ways to cut down the engine/road noise a little.

I've used Dynamat in previous cars...which is expensive and tricky to apply in some places. I just learned about FatMat. (looks like Dynamat but cheaper)

But painting on something like eDead seems like a much easier way to cut down noise (if it really works). Has anybody tried painting on eDead v3? Did it work?

Any suggestions on where to start? Doors? Floor?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 04:37 AM

I'm actually looking into this myself because I have the same complaint. I took a 2300 mile round road trip and the noise is just crazy at that speed, lol. I had to keep it at 70mph-75mph for it to be tolerable.

How well did Dynamat work on your previous cars? I've heard a couple good things about FatMat but I've never heard of eDead v3.

If anyone has any experience please help, lol. I don't have any experience in this.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 04:49 AM

I just looked at the FatMat site and I think I'm going to give that a try. You really can't beat that price compared to the Dynamat.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 05:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this might be a stupid question but where would you place the material to make the road noise quiter?
Old Feb 18, 2009, 05:31 AM

I would assume the firewall/floor mainly. Also underneath the back seat and trunk area.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 06:20 PM

I sound deadened my X about 2 weeks after I bought it. I used the stuff from secondskinaudio called damplifier (which is like dynamat), Overkill, and Luxury Liner.

Basically I put the damplifier mat on the bare metal all over the car (from the trunk to bottom of firewall) then used the OverKill in the trunk and anywhere the luxury liner was too thick for. Then I laid luxury liner under all the carpet and back seats. I also did the doors with the mat, overkill, and pieces of luxury liner. Overall it made a difference, it's not like a real luxury car, but I didn't expect it to be. Before I did the install, it sounded like there was no insulation at all...especially through the floor. I could hear everything thru the floor and the wheel wells.

I wish I could have gotten to the firewall easier...but I really didn't want to take the dash apart. And yes, it did add weight to the already heavy X, but it's my daily and not a track monster. I'll make up for it with a some horsepower

Here are some pics of the stuff:

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/k...d%20Deadening/
Old Feb 18, 2009, 07:33 PM

What about the hood

Originally Posted by Violat0rX
I sound deadened my X about 2 weeks after I bought it. I used the stuff from secondskinaudio called damplifier (which is like dynamat), Overkill, and Luxury Liner.

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/k...d%20Deadening/
Thanks for posting the pictures!

Without a decibel meter -- it's hard to compare notes. But my stock GSR Radio needs to be set around 28-30 just to hear the music above the noise of the car at 75mph. Do you have an idea of how much less radio volume you need to hear the music above the car at 75mph? (i'm trying to quantify the amount of improvement you got out of your install)

Did you consider insulating the hood too? I see that they have hood liner kits which shouldn't be too hard to install. Supposedly that's a good way to lower the engine noise too.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Holy sound deadening, i think that most of the noise is coming in from engine, you would probably have to remove dash and insulate the there and floor boards driver and passenger side
Old Feb 18, 2009, 09:06 PM

Well with the SSS radio, on the highway traveling between 75-80 mph I would have the volume anywhere between 20-24. It's not the greatest way to measure the level of sound deadening because everyone has difference preferences / noise tolerances. I could still kind of hear the engine and stuff at these levels but it was loud enough to hear clearly especially CDs.

I have thought about the hood liner...but I would tackle the firewall before I did that...and who knows if I will ever do the firewall. Unfortunately, the engine is the loudest part so I still get that coming thru the cabin. I'm used to it...but would like to quite it down a bit if possible.
Old Feb 18, 2009, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

One more thought, it makes the cab louder, but the engine whine gets taken over, is add an exhaust. i know you want to silence the engine noise, but a nice exhaust will over ride the noises that are bothersome.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

I have noticed that the Evo in stock form does get a little "boomy" at about 4000 rpm.

Old Feb 19, 2009, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by *constant_boost
One more thought, it makes the cab louder, but the engine whine gets taken over, is add an exhaust. i know you want to silence the engine noise, but a nice exhaust will over ride the noises that are bothersome.
I've actually thought of that. I'll do exhaust eventually, but I want a quiet one...hopefully it will turn the engine whine into a nice deep rumble.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

My main noise complaint is wind noise. It's at an incredible level. I don't know if it's because of the dumbo-like side mirrors or the design of the door itself or the window seals, but it's pretty bad. It makes my Civic sound like a Lexus inside at highway speeds.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

I sort of like the noise...coming from an RS it's pretty quiet
Old Feb 20, 2009, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Somebody buying a Evo and then complaining about road noise! That's priceless! Hillarious!

Sell the Evo and buy a bmw/audi/vw whatever...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sound Proofing for Engine/Road Noise...