Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

FROM 700whp 6sp supra to evo x?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2009, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
It sounds like I am in the minority, but I don't care about Supras at all.

Other than an insanely robust inline six that can make ridiculous power, they are pretty much old tech. They were heavy for their day, the styling is dated, the handling is so so at best, and their values are flat out ridiculous for what you actually get.

Most. Overrated. Car. Ever. For the price of a clean Supra, I would much rather have a used first year GT-R.

Trade for the X if you don't want a GT-R, and get over the straight line speed, or get some cheap uber modded Mustang on slicks for your dragstrip fix, and still have enough money to buy a new X. The X handles substantially better out of the box and has at least a bit of utility.
This. I've got a IX, I'm getting the X now, I've driven in a supra, I've driven a GT-R. I'm getting the X. If I had the money for a GT-R, I'd still get the X and dump 20k into it and enjoy the GT-R owners expenses of maintenance while daily driving the X.

But that's just me, I have an awful oppinion about the GT-R's because of the maintenance costs related of the car.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 06:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks guys for your opinions... like one member said NEW technology... i believe a 550whp evo can hang with a 500whp supra on highway

the evo is just so much more comfortable...the supra is just opposite and old in reality..when i got my second supra my goal was 700. 1st i nvr drive at high boost second wheel hop galore right now< can be fixed

as far as seeking another car, i def can but i love dd a car that i can enjoy as much as supra.

honestly just bored w supra power isnt everything, i would love to have a 550 whp evo 10

ANYONE WANNA TRADE???
Old Dec 22, 2009, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should keep a DD a daily driver. A nice 300-350 whp evoX without too many expensive add-on's will run fine for a couple of years if you don't hammer it on launches.

maybe I just don't like to repair cars I still have a payment on. The car also isn't very aero and with the weight, the smaller displacement, you almost surely will be disappointed in the pull up top. It's still a great car to drive, it just doesn't have that muscle car quality.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would imagine a 500whp Evo would be more fun then a 700whp in the winter, that's a no brainer. So I'm really not sure what the point of your question is. Looks like you've got two Supras. Get rid of one, get an X and you can have fun all year round. Evos handle better and have more day to day practicality so I really think unless you are just after a big dyno pull, the Evo is a much better car all around.

Last edited by atombomb33; Dec 22, 2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
I would imagine a 500whp Evo would be more fun then a 700whp in the winter, that's a no brainer. So I'm really not sure what the point of your question is. Looks like you've got two Supras. Get rid of one, get an X and you can have fun all year round. Evos handle better and have more day to day practicality so I really think unless you are just after a big dyno pull, the Evo is a much better car all around.
this is what i was thinking but, what will it take to 500 whp in these evo 10's i dont see much with that info??

btw i ve driven my supra at 700rwhp maybe twice....also those were cars ive owned i only currently own the 700rwhp supra

Last edited by atombomb33; Dec 22, 2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by streetdreams552
this is what i was thinking but, what will it take to 500 whp in these evo 10's i dont see much with that info??
Read the dyno forum. The short answer is that you'd need a lot of mods, probably an ETS 35r kit and whatever else is needed to support it. A reasonable guess would be $10k just in parts, since the turbo kit alone is $5k.

There are a lot of Evo X's in the 400's awhp but there's not a lot of info on longevity in the 500's.

If you're going big then it's a lot cheaper to do it with an Evo 8 or 9. I'd look for a lightly driven 9 and then fully mod it if I were you. You could save a good 10k on the purchase price and the aftermarket parts are cheaper and more plentiful on the older models.

Last edited by mlomker; Dec 22, 2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Other than an insanely robust inline six that can make ridiculous power, they are pretty much old tech. They were heavy for their day, the styling is dated, the handling is so so at best, and their values are flat out ridiculous for what you actually get.

Most. Overrated. Car. Ever. For the price of a clean Supra, I would much rather have a used first year GT-R.

Trade for the X if you don't want a GT-R, and get over the straight line speed, or get some cheap uber modded Mustang on slicks for your dragstrip fix, and still have enough money to buy a new X. The X handles substantially better out of the box and has at least a bit of utility.
The reason they go for so much is supply and demand. Plus they have absolutely absurd potential. And what used Supras are going for $60k. Are you out of your mind?! There are things Supras have done that no other car has. It's a bad *** car, and you are kidding yourself if you think that it isn't. Just out of curiousity have you driven one? They handle plenty well for spirited street driving. More than most above average drivers could even handle. On a track in stock form, they lack, but with some suspension mods, they come in nicely.

To the OP, get a beater and keep the Supra. Wish I had kept mine.

Last edited by black95tt; Dec 22, 2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by black95tt
The reason they go for so much is supply and demand. Plus they have absolutely absurd potential. And what used Supras are going for $60k. Are you out of your mind?! There are things Supras have done that no other car has. It's a bad *** car, and you are kidding yourself if you think that it isn't. Just out of curiousity have you driven one? They handle plenty well for spirited street driving. More than most above average drivers could even handle. On a track in stock form, they lack, but with some suspension mods, they come in nicely.

pm sent
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:15 AM

Keep the supra! Personally, I think supra's engine is one of the best inline 6cylinder ever made. Just get a cheap truck for DD.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 10:17 AM

Supras have proven their "overrated-ness" on 9 second quarter mile times on stock blocks, record times at the texas mile, so on and so fourth. I have owned several cars with a few exotics and I will always hold the supra in the highest regard when it comes to getting the most out your car for the buck. That statement also applies with the evo. However car opinions are always subjective.

With that said to the OP my advice is just to go ad test drive a few X's. Personally I cannot stand the stock platform with the X, but with a few mods they can be one of the funnest driving experiences you could ever have. The same could be said with the last generation evo.

I get alot of anxiety with the supra. It is not a comfortable driving experience, but knowing that I have 1k horsepower under the hood adds alot to the "cool" factor and knowing I have all these cool parts on the car makes it worth owning. But dealing with the AEM coldstart issues, the loudness from the 4 inch exhaust, and needing at least a standing mile in front of me before I let the car spool really takes any practicality out of the car. It is not a car you can drive everyday.

With the evo X, you get in, start and off you go. I had mild mods but I have a better peace of mind driving the car and it is more practical. It all depends on what your goals are with the car.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 01:33 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by black95tt

I was embellishing a bit for effect, but I'm sure you know that a really nice low mileage TT Supra can go for close to $50k. To me, that's asinine for a 13-14 year old car.

Yes, one of my good friends had a mildly modded Mk IV awhile back and I drove it a couple times. I've been passenger in some truly fast single upgrade cars that belonged to other guys.

Its just undeserved hype IMO. You can go faster around a racetrack in a used C5 Z06 or a regular C6 for thousands cheaper, and be in a more proven platform. A modded C5/C6 is not rare like a Supra, but I don't care about that. I don't care about street racing, highway roll bragging rights, or any of that.

Its great you love them, but I'm just explaining would never want a Supra over an Evo.

ANYONE WANNA TRADE???
pm sent

If you want your thread to stay open, you'll need to knock this off. You can't advertise the car for sale or trade on here until you hit 50 legitimate posts. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

What he said. Supras are old as hell and overrated. What's the point of all that power if you cant put it down? I personally buy all my cars to drive them everyday. I was never into drag racing, but if I was I would buy a cheap modded mustang and call it a day. The Evo X is about a balance of everything. Great power(modded), handling, practicality, and technology.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

no you are not alone.
You know what is a similarity between a 300hp -600hp -1200hp supra? They all run 13 sec.

I know its a joke and everything, and the supra is fast etc.

But i think waay over rated, as Noise summit up.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Toxin
This. I've got a IX, I'm getting the X now, I've driven in a supra, I've driven a GT-R. I'm getting the X. If I had the money for a GT-R, I'd still get the X and dump 20k into it and enjoy the GT-R owners expenses of maintenance while daily driving the X.

But that's just me, I have an awful oppinion about the GT-R's because of the maintenance costs related of the car.

only differnces i never driven a GT-R, but i had Supra. I sold it after 2 months . not for Rally guy at all. I couldn't stand it.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

What the hell did you do to take it from 3400 lb curb weight to 2700lbs!!!

Quick Reply: FROM 700whp 6sp supra to evo x?