Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Buschur Racing's major EVOX build

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Buschur Racing's major EVOX build

This build is on our 2008 EVO X, which we bought new as soon as we could get our hands on one in northern Ohio. The car has worked out well for us. This is how the car was equipped at the time it came apart:

BR FMIC
BR upper and lower i/c pipes
BR ported stock exhaust manifold
BR ported stock 02 housing
Stock downpipe
BR 3" offroad pipe
BR Cross flow 3" catback
DW 1000cc injectors
BR manual boost controller
BR 3" MAF pipe and filter kit with BR filter shield
Exedy Twin clutch
Stock fuel pump
BR tuned stock ECU
Blouch Dominator 2 turbo
Robi Spec KW suspension
Cosworth MX1 camshafts with stock springs/retainers.

The car was tuned on 93 octane and made about 410 whp here on our dyno. The car ran a best of 11.7 at 124.xx mph in the 1/4 mile.

There is NO weight taken out of the car beyond the weight savings of the BR parts over the stock parts and the spare tire.

After quite a bit of running the car trouble free, it burnt off a spark plug electrode. A new plug was put in and it seemed as though we got lucky. The car still ran fine. I drove the car for awhile like that and then took the car to Mid Ohio for some HPDE 4 action. During that time the car overheated severly. Once again, it seemed as though we dodged a bullet as the car still ran fine after a new set of plugs were installed and the car cooled off. I could tell by listening to the engine crank it was down on compression but no smoke and it still felt strong enough. The car kept bending the electrode closed on #4 spark plug which made little to no sense.

Monday the car came into the shop and the guys got busy pulling the engine out for the new build. Here's the old engine after being removed:

Misc parts taken off the engine:

Here are pictures of the new BR Stage 3 head being used for the build:

Here are pictures of the new BR Stage 3 block

Stage 3 Engine bolted together

Picture of the stock turbo set up.

Car on lift

No engine in engine bay

Trans

We decided to change the final drive in the car and while the trans was out take a look at it and make sure everything looked good. The diff pins were worn already with only about 4,000 miles on the car. The pins will be upgraded too while it is apart. Here's a picture of the junk stock pins:

Close up of junk trans pins

New trans pins

While the car is apart we will be building our long awaited GT35r kit for it. Blouch sent us out there new GT600R turbo to try out on the car, here's a picture of it:

The engine is now back in the car and we are waiting on a bearing for the transmission that needed replaced. Also enroute to use is the new Exedy Triple cerametalic clutch.

We installed the new BR double pumper in the tank shortly before the car was taken part for this build. So the fuel system will be in good order. We will be running the ID1000's in the car now too. Those will eventually end up being upgraded to the ID2000's so I can run E85 in the car, for now I will start with the ID1000's.

This build is going to be fairly serious with us still concentrating on making as much low/mid range power as we can and still make over 600 whp on our dyno. The goal is to put the car, in draily driven form, into the 9's. The car will be running the stock ECU and I have no intentions of every changing it. Thankfully many people are putting a lot of hard work into the EVOX ECU so it makes my job of tuning the car quite a bit easier.

Some side notes I'd like to discuss. We have two EVOX in here right now, both built here, both tuned here. Both ran great for thousands of miles and then ended up with burnt off electrodes in them. I don't follow all the threads on EVOX's as much as I maybe should and never heard about a problem with the fuel pump relay until I heard about it from Bryan @ GST. After hearing about it we called the dealer to get a new relay and when we gave them the part number they asked if it was for an Outlander..........little odd. Well come to find out the EVOX and Outlander use the same relay AND the Outlander's relay is ON RECALL!!

Both of these EVOX's were being pushed using the stock pump and large injectors already and now learning about this potential relay problem I really wonder if that was what ended up happening to both cars. The other odd sign was both of these cars, when hot, sometimes were nearly impossible to start...........very well could explain that too. New relays have been ordered and will be installed in both cars.

I can't wait to start on the turbo kit and we'll keep this updated with more pictures as the build progresses.

Thanks for reading.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mmm beasty
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:04 PM

Beautiful O_O
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:06 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 134 Likes on 81 Posts
Real excited to see this through!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
nice setup and good luck. can we get any info on that gt600r and how it will compare to the hta86??? is is smaller or bigger?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Several months til my X is paid off, then I'll be living in Wakeman.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice buildup.. I have a car right behind yours that will be getting the same treatment.. We look forward to the Results.. Once again thanks for paving the road for us smaller guys that are not Manufacturers!!!

Mike
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

Looks sweet...good luck!

Btw, good color choice!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
this is great news i wanna see a daily driven evo x do in the quarter mile 9sec.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

It's always rewarding and a pleasure reading Dave's threads...very impressive work on the EvoX build up.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Nice setup but without a cat I wouldn't call it a "street car". Very nice but illegal as hell on public roads.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Spoonie
Nice setup but without a cat I wouldn't call it a "street car". Very nice but illegal as hell on public roads.

Really?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Chicago_DSM

Really?
x2 who cares!?

Nice build... I'd consider one of your shortblocks to replace my newly vented stock block if I wasn't so avid about building my own
Old Jan 14, 2010, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Well, he's right. It is technically illegal to remove the cat and drive on normal roads.

But that's the first time I've heard of "No cat" being the basis to not call a car street-drivable.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 02:35 PM

That looks very nice. Good luck.

Any idea on why the first engine failed?

Quick Reply: Buschur Racing's major EVOX build